How many..........

Pyan

Noli oblivisci linteum!
Staff member
Supporter
I know that quantity does not equate with quality, but just how many SF/Fantasy books do you have?

(Apologies if this thread has been done before, but I couldn't find anything using the "Search" function, so I thought I'd ask)

Not that many yet - about 120 or so if you don't include YA fiction, about 175 if you include YA (eg Harry Potter, Redwall, His Dark Materials, Dark is Rising etc).

Not very many...since I do a lot of borrowing from the library and not too long ago had to move accross country so I got rid of a great many of my books. I am now just building it back up but let me guess...around 60 or so.

There's no way of knowing, since a lot of them are packed away pending more bookshelves. And the numbers are inflated by the fact that my husband is also an avid reader of SF and Fantasy. Between us, I'm guessing about a thousand books.

Including a couple hundred Mystery novels (Christie, Stout, Doyle) which has been a recent fascination of mine and perhaps a couple hundred biographies/non-fiction/economic books, and classics I would consider non-genre - I have somewhere around now 5,100 total books, all the rest of which are Fantasy, Science Fiction, or Horror (which is also a new thing for me as well).

Everyone needs a hobby; and along with sport memorbilia, books are my 'collecting' hobby. I really focus on first prints of earlier works, I got into mystery buy watching A&E Poroit (Christie's) and Nero Wolfe (Stout). I have been a fantasy fan for a long time, and only in the last couple of years have I really pumped up my Science fiction collection, and even more recently Horror.

That's a nice little investment you have there Jay, reminds me a bit of my Book detective contact who has thousands of antique books stored in warehouses worth millions as part of his retirement expenses...:D

I've got a few hundred books, mainly Fantasy, some hardbacks and paperbacks signed by the author.

I also have some older books late 17th, 18th and early 19th Century in the areas of non-fiction, fantasy and horror.

230. Plus 5 Non-fiction books. I cataloged them all this summer. It took a while, but it was worth it.

I'd reckon 400+ total, of which around half would be fantasy and sf. Feels a little insignificant in the shadow of Jay's collection....

I still live with my parents, both of them avid readers, so 'the books I have' aren't really mine, and of course I haven't read them all (or even half of them, I'm afraid...). I tried to count them, and I'd reckon we have a total of ca. 7000 books, about 1400 of which are sci-fi and fantasy (my mother's hobby), all of these books in Polish, of course:D . As for my own little collection of books in English, 99 out of 167 books I have are sci-fi/fantasy.

Hmm. Something around 400, I think. Not many compared to a lot of people on here, as you can see...

I'm not at all certain. My core collection crossed the 500 mark a year or so back, but that's just the books I have with me - there are more in storage waiting for the day I get a larger place with more shelves, and another lot in my father's house too. So maybe around a 1000? And lots of comics too. :D

Just did a quick count...20 :eek:

Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone
Harry Potter and the Camber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Magician (Feist)
Silverthorn (Feist)
Darkness at Sethanon (Feist)
Exile's Return (Feist)
The Gunslinger (Steven King)
The Great Hunt (Robert Jordan)
Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates (Erikson)
Memories of Ice (Erikson)
House of Chains (Erikson)
Midnight Tides (Erikson)
Blood Follows (Erikson)
The Healthy Dead (Erikson)
Night of Knives (Ian C Esslemont)

Last edited:
I own very very few books now. Tend to use public libraries rather than buying. If I do actually buy a book I will read it and then pass it on to someone else who might enjoy it.

I probably still own about 50 books - about half of which will be science fiction

I only keep my favourite's so only have 200 books :D Read and given away a whole lot more than that

About 300-400 books in all... Of which four fifths are Sci-Fi/Fantasy books...

Others are history, ancient history, comedy, fantasy art... :D