Kruppe

Rosemary

The Wicked Sword Maiden
This character has been puzzling me for quite a while.:confused:

'Kruppe will organise it' 'Kruppe believes it will'

This mode of speech is so familiar. I know it was a few years ago, so naturally cannot recall the details!! Another author had written in exactly the same way. :confused:

Does anybody else remember this?

I can't really think of anyone else who has a character talk in the 3rd person at the moment. The only thing that seems similar to me is in the Elder Scrolls games the beast races (Khajiit and Argonian, for anyone whose played them) talk in 3rd person, but I can't think of another author using it.

Thanks Brys.

I have never played those particular games, so it obviously wasn't there. Oh well, I shall just have to try and recall some more details. :)

Could it be Jack Shaftoe from the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson, or are you possibly thinking of Iskaral Pust from Malazan too?

Certainly not Jack Shaftoe. I don't think it could have been Iskarl as I have only been reading Erikson for a short time. Still, will double check on that just to be sure. :)

Well, Julius Caesar referred to himself in the third person in his account of the Gaulish conquest, which forms the basis for several stock jokes in the Asterix comics by Goscinny and Underzo, which could be another place you encountered a Kruppe-ish mode of speech. A good example is this exchange from Mansions of the Gods, where Caesar has just been presenting his plans for Gaul in the third-person,and his lackey wishes to express how impressed he is:

Lackey: He's great.
JC: Who?
Lackey: You.
JC: Oh, him.

dwndrgn said:
I know I've read a couple of novels that use this for a character here and there. Can't think of what they are at the moment, sorry Rosemary, I'm no help!
No matter dwndrgn - It might come to me but I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it.:)

Now that you've said that, I can imagine myself darting up from under the piles of blankets and dogs screaming "I know who talks in third person!!!" I'm sure my husband will truly appreciate this.

dwndrgn said:
Now that you've said that, I can imagine myself darting up from under the piles of blankets and dogs screaming "I know who talks in third person!!!" I'm sure my husband will truly appreciate this.

Well, in that case then I shall try and find out the answer! I would hate to be the one that might cause you to go through that nightmare you described,with your family !!

Kruppe has a way of talking to himself in a similar vein to Gollum.. not the same I hasten to add... but there are similarities. Iskaral Pust also has an inner dialogue :)

Azzriel said:
Kruppe has a way of talking to himself in a similar vein to Gollum.. not the same I hasten to add... but there are similarities. Iskaral Pust also has an inner dialogue :)
Must admit I hadn't thought of Gollum but no that would have been to easy an answer. :)
Which book is Pust in?

Rosemary said:
Must admit I hadn't thought of Gollum but no that would have been to easy an answer. :)
HMMM..I don't talk to myself really do I?...:D *Preciousssssss**DROOL*.....:rolleyes:

GOLLUM said:
HMMM..I don't talk to myself really do I?... *Preciousssssss**DROOL*.....:rolleyes:
Rosey cannot say that she has ever noticed you talking to yourself, preciousssss! ;)

Well done Cal, correct as usual !! ;)
Now at least I know where to find Iskaral Pust. :D

Back