Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Nominated by me (dwndrgn):
The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks
I will admit I had some trouble finding a book to suggest with the new rules, especially since so many these days are parts of trilogies, series and duologies...but this one intrigued me and I don't even read scifi that much. Here is what Bookmarks Magazine says:
"First in a projected trilogy called The Fourth Realm, The Traveler impressed all critics. Twelve Hawks presents big ideas about free will and determinism, good versus evil, social control, and alternate dimensions, all while impressing with knowledge ranging from the New Testament to string theory. Although reviewers compared the novel to the films Kill Bill, Star Wars, and The Matrix—with echoes of authors Dan Brown, Stephen King, George Orwell, and Michael Crichton thrown in—they called it wholly original. Given its complexity, the author (a mysterious entity living "off the Grid" who’s unknown even to his agent and editor) could have fumbled anywhere. But he didn’t, from the sophisticated plot to the compelling heroine."

Sounds pretty interesting to me - plus I love discussing free will

Nominated by stencyl:

I'd like to nominate Accelerando, by Charles Stross. It's a work of post-singularity science fiction that has gotten great reviews. I have downloaded it and have been meaning to start it.

Here's a short summary and review:

Quote:

Manfred Macx, a 21st-century intelligence amplification entrepreneur, lives partly in the physical world and partly in the virtual world of artificial intelligences, the Internet, biotechnology, and molecular nanotechnology. His 12-year-old daughter Amber, who seeks independence from her controlling mother, indentures herself to a company aiming to extract a fortune from the resources of Jupiter. Decades later, Amber's son Sirhan, a victim of multiple virtual childhoods, researches his dysfunctional family and uncovers a sinister new life form that threatens the continuation of biological life in the universe.

Expanding on his award-winning short story cycle that appeared in Asimov's Science Fiction magazine, Stross (Singularity Sky) reveals a vision of the future that encompasses and expands on the newest technologies and explores the possibilities of humanity's future. Joining the ranks of William Gibson (Neuromancer), Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash), and Bruce Sterling (Schismatrix), Stross fuses ideas and characters with cheerful abandon and creates a high-tech galactic adventure that belongs in most libraries.

Nominated by JohnMay:

Peter F hamilton Pandora's Star

In AD 2329, humanity has colonised over four hundred planets, all of them interlinked by wormholes. With Earth at its centre, the Intersolar Commonwealth now occupies a sphere of space approximately four hundred light years across. When an astronomer on the outermost world of Gralmond, observes a star 2000 light years distant - and then a neighbouring one - vanish, it is time for the Commonwealth to discover what happened to them. For what if their disappearance indicates some kind of galactic conflict? Since a conventional wormhole cannot be used to reach these vanished stars, for the first time humans need to build a faster-than-light starship, the Second Chance. But it arrives to find each 'vanished' star encased in a giant force field -- and within one of them resides a massive alien civilisation.

Reason for Voting ? I love This book Cant wait for the follow up to come out. Anyone Read Nights Dawn Trilogy ? Awesome.

Nominated by caladanbrood:

I nominate Richard Morgan's "Market Forces"
Its not one of his Takeshi Kovacs books, but is a "futuristic thriller" about the dog-eat-dog world of "Conflict Investment", where promotion is gained by racing your rivals off the road. Chris Faulkner, the main character, is the "good guy" who has just joined a new firm. He's a hot-shot in the world of conflict investment, in a time when the gulf between the lower and middle classes is widening by the day. Pretty standard stuff, you might think, but Morgan adds an extra dimension with Faulkner's family life, which is going down the pan.
A truly excellent book. Morgan's best, IMHO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...6683188-8935647

Nominated by finvarre:

I want to nominate yet another space opera - The Risen Empire by Scott Westerfeld. I've read that the author wanted to write a kind of Star Wars space opera story as he thinks it should have been written, and am quite curious about the result. Don't know if it's any good, but anyway...

Here's the synopsis;

The undead Emperor has ruled the Eighty Worlds for sixteen hundred years. His is the power to grant immortality to those he deems worthy, creating an elite class known as the Risen. Along with his sister, the eternally young Child Empress, his power within the empire has been absolute. Until now. The empire's great enemies, the Rix, hold the Child Empress hostage. Charged with her rescue is Captain Laurent Zai. But when Imperial politics are involved the stakes are unimaginably high, and Zai may yet find the Rix the least of his problems. On the homeworld, Zai's lover, Senator Nara Oxham, newly appointed to the Emperor's War Council, must prosecute the war with the Rix while holding the inhuman impulses of the Risen councillors in check. If she fails at either task, millions will die. And at the centre of everything is the Emperor's great lie: a revelation so shattering that he is willing to sanction the death of entire worlds to keep it secret ...

I voted for Accelerando because I was blown away by how much I enjoyed Iron Sunrise. A few interesting, sympathetic characters, and lots of cool ideas! Come to think of it, I suppose I ought to have nominated it...

Nothing for it - we'll all just have to read all three.. ;)

I've voted for Pandora's Star. I wanted to read this book anyway, so here's the chance:D . I could have voted for charles Stross' book as well, but I've recently bought Iron Sunrise and want to read that title first and check out whether I like it or not before I buy Accelerando (no libraries with new SF books in English here, I'm afraid:( )

I was going to put in another post somewhere for Accelerando, but this will suffice...

I finished Accelerando about 3 days ago, and it has literally changed how I view life, science fiction, and technology. It has even caused me to call into question my own religious beliefs in a way I had previously not considered. Rest assured; Accelerando IS a seminal work that WILL be the next great classic. I promise.

Although it's only my opinion, this book NEEDS to be read by everyone. (I bought the hardcover edition at my local bookstore chain)

A necessary site for those future-shocked readers: http://www.aleph.se/Trans/Words/

Enjoy!

littlemissattitude said:
Oh, sorry. That was me. But The Traveller was the only one that really intrigued me out of that list.:eek:
No biggie deal, Dave. Oops. Sorry, American TV ad reference for those who didn't get that.
LittleMiss: I'll hold you completely responsible should this three-way tie linger longer than it takes for me to say 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'. :D Just kidding. My sigh was mostly because that is just the kind of thing that keeps happening to me today - silly little things by themselves but when they make friends and hang in groups, trample the lawn, TP the house...they tend to get on your nerves. That's the kind of day I'm having. Can I go home now???

Finally the tie is over!!! November's book for discussion is Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Those of you interested in joining in on the discussion, please procure your copy and start reading :)

Glad to see that the one I'm halfway through won - it's a great read so far. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.