Stirring Moments in ASoIaF

The two moments i picture with the greatest ease in my mind are the one where i believe Dany see's Rhaegar cradling a child and singing a certain song.

Then, at the very end of the book, i can easily picture Jon walking along to meet the king with the Raven on his shoulder and Ghost trundling along-- the best part of that is when the knight blocks his way and tells Jon he is late.

"Then get the hell out of my way, Ser."

Jon is strikingly pictured in my mind now as an almost Mormont-like authoritative figure, and the raven and wolf just add to the sheer alien nature of the scene.

Thadlerian,

The events at the Tower of Joy come from Ned's dreams and memories about the end of Robert's Rebellion. Rhaegar died on the Trident, but he'd stashed Lyanna in Dorne at the Tower of Joy. She was guarded by three Kingsguard... Arthur Dayne (the greatest knight in the realm), Gerold Hightower (Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, iirc) and one other. Well, Ned and Robert had a falling out over the sack of King's Landing (soon after the battle on the Trident) and Ned led forces south to deal with the Targaryen loyalists in the south while Robert presumably stayed in King's Landing to organize the new government (with Jon Arryn tutoring him). First Ned relieved Stannis at Storm's End and received the Tyrell's surrender. Then Ned went to find Lyanna. In the final fight, Ned took six of his companions to the Tower of Joy to fight the three Kingsguard. Of the ten men in the combat, only Ned and his close friend, Howland Reed (Meera's and Jojen's father), walked away. Ned found Lyanna lying in a bed soaked in blood (and possibly covered with blue roses)... and Ned promised Lyanna something (this is a topic of much speculation). When Ned turned to back north with Lyanna's body, Ashara Dayne (Arthur's sister and Ned's former love interest before he married Catelyn), killed herself... either from grief for her brother, despair that her love would never come back, or something else.

Heh, that it sort of the (only) problem with ASoIaF: So much of the interesting stuff has already happened when the story takes place...

But, on the other hand, such events are perhaps best recounted in fragments and retrospectives.

Can I ask something else, BTW, something I've always wondered? Where did the Baratheons live before the rebellion? Which part of Westeros?

The Baratheons were the Storm Lords. They occupied Storm's End (their ancestral home) and they ruled over the west coasts and islands of Westeros. There was a Targaryen ******* son, sometime after Aegon the Conqueror, who was a very talented and capable man... he was given the job of subjugating the Baratheons. He killed all the male Baratheons and then married the last surviving female and took her name. The Targaryen king legitimized him and made him the new Storm Lord. So Robert, Stannis, and Renly are really just Targaryen cousins.

My favorite and most riviting part is in SOS, with the fight between Gregor and the Dorne guy (Sorry I have only read them once and my books are being passed around to all my friends so they can read it, so I cant even reference).

When he was saying "You raped her, killed her and killed her children" to gregor, that was the most realisitc and dramatic thing in the book for me. The RW was pretty riviting a well, but i must admit, I picked up on the clues and I knew Robb was going to get it, especially after Milisandre spoke his name as she threw the leach in the fire.

Thats him, thanks! Hmm Master of Poison, so does that mean that he may have had poison on his sword, that is why greger is so sick? IF so I missed that entirely

He had a spear I think and I think it was indeed very poisoned. My memory isn't as good as it once was so I could be wrong.

I have some cool images in my head of what Gregor might become. Loved that moment in the books as well.

gregor was poisoned with basilisk venom, which usually kills as soon as it reaches the heart.

Tiddly little AFFC spoiler! Highlight to read.

The reason gregor did not die yet is because it has been thickened "somehow", to slow it down, thus causing the maximum amount of anguish for the victim. Nasty. :eek:

I always liked this snatch of a song we here at Riverrun, about Lord Deremond at the Bloody Meadow:

And there he stood with sword in hand,
the last of Darry's ten...

And red the grass beneath his feet,
and red his banners bright,
and red the glow of setting sun
that bathed him in it's light.
"Come on, come on," the great lord called,
"my sword is hungry still."
And with a cry of savage rage,
They swarmed across the rill....

Kinda why I love these books. So rich with what has come before, you 'hear' a snatch of song and want to know more and more and more...

Yeah, that and Rains of Castemere being played at the red wedding. The Red Wedding in general was really emotional.
"My claws are long and sharp my lord,
as long and sharp as yours."

Faceless woman,
curse you for reviving this thread. Reading about all these stirring moments in the series has made me want to read it, again. Before i was just content to wait for the next book, but that just wont do now.

Oh, and I relished the scene where Joffery died. I was one of the ones who saw the impending doom of Ned but was desperately clinging to the hope that he would get to go to the wall. When Joffery said, something like, my mother has counciled me to allow him to take the black, but women are weak. And then he ordered the execution. I was shocked and was waiting for him to get his from that point on. So when he did, it was SOOOOO sweet.

The moment in ASoS when Dany is lying awake and bothered, 'till Irri wakes up and er... gives her a hand... There was definite stirring.

I was moved by Septon Meribald's monolouge in one Brienne's POVs. He begins by explaining to Pod the difference between an outlaw and a broken man, but then begins his description of war from a commoner's perspective (his own story, we learn in the end.) His view is the most frank and honest assessment of war in the books-what it really is and how affects the lowborn majority. Quite relevant to people today in the real world.

2 come to mind:

Oberyn Martell proudly proclaiming he and his honor guard could massacre everyone else in King's Landing (All roses wilt before the sun :cool:).

...and Doran Martell's somewhat subtle proclamation to reach out to Dany, rethrone the Targaryen line, and exterminate the Lannisters. :D

One of my favorite moments, though I knew it had to happen - just not when, was when Jon was reunited with Ghost. I think I actually clapped or shouted out loud or something to that effect.

There were many 'shock-value' moments throughout, but stirring... stirring was that scene with Jon and Ghost.

So many choices, all of the above

I'd like to add,

Qhorin Halfhand's last stand (sob)

...Tyrion, crossbow, Tywin...(cheer)