SF series discussion

finvarre

I thought that discussing series of books was an excellent idea. There's already a thread on fantasy series, but as no one seemed willing to start one on SF series, I've grown a bit impatient;) .
We could follow the same rules rune has created on her thread: everyone nominates up to 2 SF series (series= 2 or more books taking place in the same universe) and the series with most votes wins and gets discussed. Is this OK with you?
I'd nominate CJ Cherryh's Chanur Series and David Brin's Uplift novels for a start.

Well there is cetainly already a SCi Fi book discussion thread in the Book Club subforum but not a series one like we have for Fantasy as you say.

From memory, I think Rune may have been waiting to see if someone started a Sci Fi sreries discussion thread so good on you for making it a reality... :cool:

I'll try to think of something in Sci Fi to nominate, not a big reader of this genre as you know.. :D

Well, I'm actually better in fantasy myself, I have many SF classics yet to read. Besides, it seems that there are more fantasy fans than scifi fans in here, so if no one is interested in the series discussions, we can assume that we should talk about 2 fantasy series and not 1 fantasy 1 scifi... anyway, I wanted to try.

finvarre said:
I thought that discussing series of books was an excellent idea. There's already a thread on fantasy series, but as no one seemed willing to start one on SF series, I've grown a bit impatient;) .
We could follow the same rules rune has created on her thread: everyone nominates up to 2 SF series (series= 2 or more books taking place in the same universe) and the series with most votes wins and gets discussed. Is this OK with you?
I'd nominate CJ Cherryh's Chanur Series and David Brin's Uplift novels for a start.

thanks for taking up the sci-fi series discussions :D I have been waiting for someone to run these ones as I dont read sci-fi and wouldnt be able to contribute.

Hi this is my first time on here, might not get a lot of time to post on here, but couldn't resist seconding the Uplift series for a discussion, the last trilogy of it in particular is a mind-blowing progression to deep and wilder ideas in cosmology etc, a great romp, as they used to say!

I've read 5 out of 6. Heaven's Reach still wasn't translated into Polish and I dislike having 5 first books in translation and the 6th one in English (it happens altogether too frequently in my case, as I'm usually too impatient to wait, but in this case I'm still waiting:( )

Voted for so far:
Uplift books by David Brin - 3 votes
Chanur books by CJ Cherryh - 1 vote

Any more nominations? I think we should wait at least 2 more weeks &wait for the votes, lets say till midSeptember, hat do you think?

BTW rune:I was very happy to oblige, thanks:)

New nominations, that's great:)

Voted for so far:
David Brin the Uplift books -4 votes
Frank Herbert's Dune - 2 votes (Leto, Destination Void is not a series, just a stand alone novel - or am I wrong?)
Gordon Dickson Dorsai - 1 vote
CJ Cherryh The Faded Sun - 1 vote
CJ Cherryh Chanur novels - 1 vote
Peter Hamilton Night's Dawn trilogy - 1 vote

We are both wrong it's the first of a 4 novels series which include also The Jesus Incident, The Lazarus Effect and The Ascension Factor. And the last 3 co-written with Bill Ransom.

All right. I'm sorry, Leto. Haven't read Herbert's books yet except for the Dune series which are really brilliant.

OK, I'm adding to the list above Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom's Destination Void series - 1 vote

OK, if anyone han't voted yet please do it till this Sunday. Looks like David Brin's Uplift books are going to win,though. The question is, would you like to have some time to reread (or read:) the series, say, till October, or shall I start a new thread next week? Myself, I'd prefer to wait and refresh my memory a little, but then, with book club's re-vamp there are no books discussions this month, so I really don't know:confused: .

Would you like to continue with this kind of discussion next month? If so, nominate up to 2 series for October:D .

knivesout said:
I didn't realise Destination:Void was a precursor to the Pandora Trilogy (athough I should have guessed; VoidShip, WorShip...c'mon!). Guess I'll have to hunt that one down.
:D
In fact it's a trilogy in four parts. Douglams Adams is not the only one with irregular mathematics ;).

I'd like to nominate John C Wright's trilogy about Phaeton, The Golden Age trilogy, and CJ Cherryh's The Faded Sun Trilogy. We could discuss the winning series in November . However, if anyone has an idea of how to make this thread more interesting, or maybe other proposals, please share them, we could create some rules. Or maybe there's no need for discussing SF series here.. After all, we can always create a thread about a new author/series whenever we want to, right?:rolleyes: