Don't buy BT broadband

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Aug 14, 2005.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Serious ISP issues

Got a problem with my ISP and now have a very limited connection: BT internet problems

Just to let you know I'm a little delayed on dealing with certain things here, such as technical problems reported, as well as moving games threads from the lounge.

Can't say I'm at all impressed with BT - it's just a big machine that no one has any accountability for - the staff are friendly and polite enough, but completely unable to do anything other than shift you to another department.

I've had various staff and managers apologise, but it'll be interesting to see what their complaints dept has to say - probably everything to avoid liability.

Anyway, currently booked into a small room at a hotel this week just to get online. Hopefully my new ISP will hurry things along...
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

Re: Serious ISP issues

i'm sure you'll get some marks and sparks vouchers by way of appology (that is whay they have done for friends of mine with similar problems), very helpful.
    Winters_Sorrow

Winters_Sorrow Unreg. Mutant Moderator Staff Member

too late!
    I already have/are using them.
    The only thing I will say was that Freeserve (now Wanadoo) were much worse for me personally in terms of poor customer service. I guess everyone has their own horror stories for every company though.
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

i've no horror stories with blueyonder. its cheap, it gets me online, and the only times i've not been connected is when there has been a citywide or nationwide problem (twice). did i mention cheap?:D
    Winters_Sorrow

Winters_Sorrow Unreg. Mutant Moderator Staff Member

it may be cheap, but it's also "cable-dependant"... :(
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

BT certainly need to get their act together. I got phone calls two days in a row from them asking why I had changed to another telephone service. I haven't I'm still with BT. I'm also still on dial-up so I've come to expect a pretty slow connection - although I'm convinced shouting and swearing at the PC actually does speed it up a bit:)
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

I finally got connected to Pipex on Wednesday - no more going to a hotel just for an internet connection. :)
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

I shall have to give that a try!!! :D

Glad to hear you have things up and running again, Brian.

I'll still plunk along with my dial up. And as soon as they offer something new in my area (non cable dependant ~ there's my horror story WS) then I shall stop swearing at my laptop. ;)
    GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

Never had you marked as a swearer Alia..... :D :D

I use AANET ADSL connection in OZ and it works brilliantly, don't know anything on BT really... :(
    Leto

Leto Outside

just learned I'll have 20 Mb/s for the same price (30 euros/month). :D
    Sadistic, moi ?
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

SWEAR!!! SWEAR!!! SWEAR!!!! See Gollum, I'm a swearer. ;)

We expect nothing less. :D
    GOLLUM

See you're an honest little bee after all Alia, even I'll SWEAR to that... ;)
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

I'm not a bee Gollum... I don't sting, that's Kelpie. I slap, 'member? ;)
    GOLLUM

OH YEH I've still got the marks to show for it.... :p

AHEM OK better get back to the topic otherwise Brian won't be too amused... :(

So are you going to get an upgrade in your area for faster internet services alia??? Is there a timeframe to all of this yet?.. :confused:
    GOLLUM

Following Brian's previous comments regarding a move to a new server, Brian I work as a techincal writer (within the IT industry) and have done some content writing for Web sties as I basically run my own business.

Therefore if you like I'd be more than happy to help in anyway I could if its in the form of feedback or possible ideas for future changes to Chronicles. Just an offer mate, I'll leave it to you whether you require any asssitance at some stage down the track or not... :)

Needless to say any possible feedback I can provide would be totally for free. As far as I'm concerned this forum has already proven its worth for me as an avid reader of modern and classic fantasy many times over.. :cool:
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

No... currently the prices of a faster internet service are unreal... we're talking nearly $1,000 just to get hooked up and then $50+ a month to continue service. While dial up is only $15.00 a month and there aren't any hook up fees. There aren't a lot of companies that offer in this area, therefore they can have the higher prices. My family in a nearby town have DSL and it's actually slower than my dial up. For now, I'll complain of dial up but it's the best. :)
    GOLLUM

OUCH that's expensive... :eek:

Recently got an ADSL fast internet deal for approx $US 150 with unlimited use up to 2 GB of data download/upload with every additional 1 GB ( = several months use of Internet here) only extra approx $US 4 !!!

ADSL means for me a dedicated/permanent line that requires no dial-up, so no additional cost of local calls, pretty good IMO.. :D
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

Now take in mind, it's all about my location. Just down the street a friend of mine gets DSL with no hook up charges but she pays the higher price too. When she told me about who she had I did the research and according to them I live on the wrong side of the street and can't get it without the hook up charges. I can't win. :(
    GOLLUM

Sorry to hear that.... :(

Off on my walk see ya!!.. :)
    Alia

Alia Young at Heart

Have fun Gollum. :)