Amber?

Here's what I've seen on these:

Zelazny also wrote several short stories set in the Amber multiverse. These include:
  • 1993 "Prologue to Trumps of Doom"
  • 1994 "The Salesman's Tale"
  • 1994 "The Shroudling and The Guisel"
  • 1995 "Coming to a Cord"
  • 1995 "Blue Horse, Dancing Mountains"
  • 1996 "Hall of Mirrors"
All except the first of these short stories form one tale, taking place after Prince of Chaos.
All 10 novels have been published in a single omnibus form as The Great Book of Amber and all six short stories have been collected in Manna from Heaven.

from the Wikipedia article on Zelazny:

Roger Zelazny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there's also this:

The Amber series

And, as you can see, there's some slight discrepancies between the above and the article on Amber itself:

The Chronicles of Amber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But at least it gives you titles to look for....

I absolutely loved the first five Amber books. When Zelazny started writing a further cycle some time after the original series (the Merlin books) I was delighted and read each as they came out. The first couple were very good, but later volumes retrod old ground a little before delivering a suitably momentous and satisfying finale.

I've also read the later Amber short stories mentioned by j.d.worthington -- they're collected in the book "Manna from Heaven" published by DNA & Wildside Press in 2003. This posthumous collection was put together by a fan who ran a Zelazny website, who bought the rights to the stories and then sorted out a publisher. The book brings together many of the great man's shorts that were previously uncollected in book form and includes some real gems.

The Amber stories are linked, developing a story thread which promised to be as original and enthralling as the original novels, involving a previously unsuspected realm existing within mirrors. I'm sure this was intended as the beginning of a projected new Amber novel or series, and it's frustrating that we'll never know where it would have lead.

I remember being greatly saddened by Zelazny's death. There's never been any writer quite like him. His laconic style and incomperable imagination made him one of my very favourite authors. Even today, the Amber books, along with classics such as "This Imortal", "Lord of Light", "Doorways in the Sand" and the zanily wonderful "A Night in the Lonesome October" stand head and shoulders above much of what's published in the Science Fiction and Fantasy genres. A great talent, sadly missed.

Thanks for the info.
I remember back in 1986 being offered the original manuscript version of "Ghost Wheel" with corrections by Roger including an argument with the editor about renaming it "Trumps of Doom". I wasn't able to sell my car fast enough and it went to another collector.
I've also provided some of the fanzine stories and poems to a Zelazny fan on ebay who is attempting the same feat as DNA and Wildeside press. He goes by name of devilsadvocate and is very motivated to bring more Roger to his fans.

I'm reading the big ten book all in one book-thing. :D

Only read the first one so far and just started the second one, though I can't really get into it! Just been out and bought some other books (the lies of locke lamora being one) and I might just go ahead and skip Amber and start on my new lot!

I've also provided some of the fanzine stories and poems to a Zelazny fan on ebay who is attempting the same feat as DNA and Wildeside press. He goes by name of devilsadvocate and is very motivated to bring more Roger to his fans.

I remember someone posting a list of all the uncollected stories to the newsgroup (before Manna From Heaven was published) and there were a surprising number out there. I know Roger considered a lot of his early stories to be of too poor a quality to be anthologised but I can't imagine any fan agreeing with him.

It would be wonderful if this new effort bore fruit.

After picking up the Amber series I was completely hooked and a total Zelazny fan. They are fantastic, humours, sad, intreiging... everything you could want out of a fantasy read.

I didn't really enjoy Damnation Ally but I did enjoy Bring me the Head of Prince Charming which he co-wrote.

I loved the Corwin books, then lost interest reading the Merlin books. RZ was terrific, I especially liked My Name Is Legion (possibly the inspiration behind my own name changes over the years)

I liked the first 5 books very much, but then when the point of view switched from Corwin to Merlin, I didn't like it nearly as much. There was something in that first part of Amber that made it special - all those brothers and sisters intriguing and fighting one another in order to become Oberon's heir.. and I found the rules of the world of Amber very appealing. Merlin was both from Chaos and from Amber - it got too complicated for me. And, above all, I didn't care for that character quite as much as for Corwin with his silver - black clothes and his rose:cool:

BTW, what were your fav characters in the series beside the main ones? I liked Deirdre, but that was probably because of Corwin's point of view, and then she was killed... and Julian. The Arden forest was cool!
Besides, I liked Oberon. Afterwards, it was boring without him.

Even in discussions about the series, please be careful with spoilers. I still haven't finished reading them, and you essentially spoiled some key events for me.

When I first started reading Zelazny in about 1970-71, I had just become employed with the state (California) department which had responsibility for adjudicating disability claims based on Social Security insured status. Imagine my surprise at the time to find that he worked in Baltimore for the Social Security Administration. His job? To review the decisions I made to be sure they were accurate. Talk about having mixed feelings.

Obviously he went on to make a real name for himself. I kept doing the same job and finally retired. But I managed to read a whole lot of SF in the intervening years, a lot of it Zelazny's.

Hi, guys!

Is this the one and only :mad: thread on Roger Zelazny, or did I miss the others?
UM...if you do a search for Zelazny you should probably find some more. He's a major figure no doubt about it but doesn't have his own subforum.

I'm a big fan of Zelazny and have quite a lot of his work....:)

Zelazny is the best!

I'm buying all the novels I haven't read (I posted the complete bibliography on another thread).

That settles it. I could not possibly have read Prince of Chaos. I thought I read the last volume and was disappointed that it ended in a cliffhanger. That means I have more to look forward to! The Chronicles of Amber has always been one of the biggest influences in my writing. Zelazny was the greatest!

I have them all on my kindle - Chronicles of Amber that is so I am going to start working through them, not read any Zelazny before so hopefully I enjoy them

Will someone please tell me that there's some possibility that Deirdre survived? Additionally, what exactly was Corwin's relationship with her?

Spoilers

Deirdre almost certainly did not survive, however her death is never explicitly stated, so there's always that slight possibility if you want to cling to it. She never shows up again in the series except as a pattern ghost. Her relationship with Corwin is almost that of fraternal twins. They have the same mother (I'm not sure who's older) and have always been very close. Personality wise Deirdre is like a female Corwin, but not as battle-hardened since the princesses of Amber didn't seem to have the same constant feuding (even as children) as the princes. I believe her colors are also very similar if not exactly the same as Corwin's silver and black.