Daenerys Theory

There is only one mention of a wall in the Nights Watch Oath and it isn't that 700 foot tall Wall eitehr. It only says "I am the watcher on the walls" It's more of a metaphor to the NW being the guardians of the realm and alerting the rest of the realm to trouble as well as being the first line of defense. The oath doesn't bind them on the wall so technically they could fight from Winterfell or even Sunspear.

The Night's Watch existed before the Wall, it's first brother's began the long process of raising it, so i don't think the Watch would cease to exist if it fell, or that Jon would feel duty bound to die defending it. I see the wall (and the watch) as being merely the first line of defence. The watch was never intended to hold the others at bay alone, just to hold back the tide long enough for the realms of me to rally. the wall will be held until it is no longer a viable option, and then the watch will fall back to the next defensible position.

Dany was born on Dragonstone, correct? How long did the Targs hold out on Dragonstone before Lord Darry took Viserys and Dany to Pentos... a month, six months, a year?

Well, I was just thinking that perhaps Dany's parentage might someday called into question. Aerys was already dead when Dany was born, but was she born more than nine months after his death?

Dany's mother's name was Rhaella. Rhaella sounds fairly Targaryen to me. Could she be Targaryen on her mother's side and not her father's? Lord Darry seemed overly fond of her... Viserys seemed to inherit the quick anger of Aerys, if not the mental instability also. Rhaegar seemed princely, yet quirky. Dany, even with her abnormal life, seems fairly normal... could this be because Aerys is not her father?

What if Tywin had Rhaella in retaliation (I think that Aerys had Joanna, Tywin's wife, and that Tyrion is the product of that rape) and that Dany was the result? In effect, this would make Tyrion and Dany both half-Targaryen half-Lannister, brother and sister, yet not blood related. Confused yet?

If Dany is Tywin's daughter, then she is Tommen and Myrcella's aunt and Cersei's sister.

For some reason, I don't think that Jaime or Tyrion would balk at the prospect of a marriage (or romantic liason) with Dany.

What if Varys is not really a eunuch? What if he is Dany's father?

Could I come up with any more ludicrous ideas?

Hey, i love that danny theory boaz. It would certainy make her a little less rigid in regards to her "right" to the throne, making it easier for her to make common cause with people she regards as traitors, for the good of the land.

Also.... If you combine that theory with the Aery's + Joanna theory.... plus the Rahegar + Lyana theory (discounting my belief that they married).... and you get..... 3 Targaryen bastards. 3 heads of the dragon,all with only half targaryen blood, and apparently free form the taint of the pure-strain targaryen blood.

there's a certain symmetry to that that i like, it fits. I think you may be on to something here.

I like it, too. But, realistically, if Martin reveals all three as being Targaryen bastards would be too repetetive as a plot device and would lead to the total suspension of disbelief by his readers.

Boaz said:
I like it, too. But, realistically, if Martin reveals all three as being Targaryen bastards would be too repetetive as a plot device and would lead to the total suspension of disbelief by his readers.

Unless it's all revealed at once? I've always thought that at some stage, when the other's are kicking arse and people finally realise they're going to have to work together to avoid anihilation, there would be a great council or something. I can well see all the various factions arguing over who should lead etc. then aemon or howland reed or someone else stands and spills the beans.

I think Dany will be fire. I hope she gets less boring. I know that others disagree but she was one of my favorites because she was doing what she had to do to survive and grow. Then she bloomed into a ruler, not when she led but when she burned the witch.

That showed the grit and ruthlessness of a leader. Now she's just Polly good shoes and give her any situation and she'll do the right thing. I'm not by any means saying she should become evil, I just think a lot of depth left when she stopped burning and dominating those around her. :)

On the whole Jon and the wall thing, he's already broken his oaths, or half broken them if you want to qualify his woman as a necessary part of the mission and his running as a not for real escape. It's all noble to stay and fulfill the oath that everyone watching at the wall took but if the watch is destroyed except a few and the kingdom is in ruins it'd be a foolish thing to not betray the oath and go on living.

I say just say no to ingrained fantasy notions. There's no honor in fulfilling a dead oath and much good that could be done by Jon living a real life, a life I think he and Sam and all the innocent watch deserve.

Asdar, I agree with you that it would be nice to see Dany's character have a bit more depth than it currently does, and a little more action on her part wouldn't hurt either. Right now, it seems like she's going one step forward, two steps back with everything she does. But, I suppose it's all training for being a ruler.

With Jon, however, I'd have to disagree about abandoning the oath. Regardless of what's going on in the country, it definitely undermines the importance of the oath if all of the men on the wall go ahead and break it when the sh-- really hits the fan. That's the whole point of swearing the oath- to keep them all together as one, no matter what may come. I don't think their vows should be good only up until a certain part, otherwise why even bother with the whole thing?

Men break oaths all the time, so has Jon, and most of the watch, and Dany is hot. Who cares if they are related and maybe she wont shoot him with an arrow.

What if Jon is forced to break his oaths somehow. My theory is:

The fake Ayra put out there by the lannisters should be near the north by now, she is to marry the ******* of bolton (don't remember his name). Ayra was Jon's favourite sister, he'll hear about the marrage and most likely go to see her. He'll say this isn't Ayra yada yada and kill ******* of bolton and others. King puts a price on his head, Jon flees across the sea.

now heres the crap part thats def not gonna happen, he ends up meating Tyron <sp? the imp> and Danny like the earlier post about the the three tang bastards, the three dragon heads. They go back across the sea ally with Sasna by now wife to the heir of the Eyre, ally with Dorne Tyrells? Tyron gets the Rock, Jon Winterfell/Watch. Danny Queen, then they go kick the others ass and it all ends happily ever after. Awww, lol

Interesting....You forget that Jon is a ******* AND the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch: a role he takes very, very seriously. Also, Bran is still alive and is the rightful heir to Winterfell. Then there's the issue of Sansa, who I believe is on the verge of making a big move in this game but not as heir to the Eyrie.

timekiller said:
What if Jon is forced to break his oaths somehow. My theory is:

The fake Ayra put out there by the lannisters should be near the north by now, she is to marry the ******* of bolton (don't remember his name). Ayra was Jon's favourite sister, he'll hear about the marrage and most likely go to see her. He'll say this isn't Ayra yada yada and kill ******* of bolton and others. King puts a price on his head, Jon flees across the sea.
I like this theory (all except the fleeing across the sea). I think you may have something here tk.

How do we know what kind of relationship that Jon has with the Targareyns? I understand it can be assumed that his mother was someone of that ilk, but what evidence is there that they are closely related in any way?

Crisspin said:
How do we know what kind of relationship that Jon has with the Targareyns? I understand it can be assumed that his mother was someone of that ilk, but what evidence is there that they are closely related in any way?

No evidence (yet). It was suggested in a previous thread and the idea's been played with ever since.

The idea was that Jon was actually Lyanna's child with Rhaegar, that she'd run away by choice, not kidnapped as listed in history. That Eddard had found out and taken Jon back as his own son, in order to protect him.

Now though, after AFFC this is most likely wrong, as a witness named Jon's mother and place of birth. Anything's possible though.

Wil said:
Now though, after AFFC this is most likely wrong, as a witness named Jon's mother and place of birth. Anything's possible though.

I thought the witness only named Jon's "milk mother?"

Yes, Edric (Ned) Dayne and Jon shared the same milk mother, Wylla , who Robert believed was Jon's mother.
At least thats the story from the lips of Edric, Lord of Starfall, when he spoke to Arya.

Wow...if you add my post in that said the same thing, that was 3 posts disabusing the Jon's parentage notion in less time that my browser took to refresh...we be on top o things

--- Crackpot theory alert ----

I actually think that Ashra Dayne is still alive and in exile. I also think that she is Quaithe - the lacuqer-masked soothsayer Dany keeps running into from time to time.

Aegon the Unworthy said:
Wow...if you add my post in that said the same thing, that was 3 posts disabusing the Jon's parentage notion in less time that my browser took to refresh...we be on top o things

Obvious that it is lunchtime on Friday, and I'm doing a considerable amount of slacking off today. :)

Oops - double post. My bad.

red_temple said:
--- Crackpot theory alert ----

I actually think that Ashra Dayne is still alive and in exile. I also think that she is Quaithe - the lacuqer-masked soothsayer Dany keeps running into from time to time.

I dont see a smiley :) or a wink ;).

Do please tell!!!