Games threads in the lounge

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian Turner, Aug 2, 2005.

Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

Just to keep people updated - it's my intention to removing a lot of the games thread soon from the general lounge area.

http://www.Freecafe.co.uk has been created as a place for general games and chat, and it's about to undergo something of a make-over to make it look more attractive.

The board staff there are chronicles members - Princess Ivy, Leta, Alexa, and myself, are all running the boards there, so it shouldn't be too strange an environment.

Please do note that once Freecafe has a new template with more attractive colours and a smoother layout, you can expect that I will start to close down a lot of activity in the general lounge area.

Prime concerns include that this is supposed to be a SFF forum - but the general area alone covers 1/2 of the site content. So the chronicles network is in real danger of becoming a chat site with a SFF slant, when it should be a SFF forum which allows wider discussion.

Of particular concern as well is that the game threads and general chat areas are becoming a ground for personal attacks and other improper activities, and I have no interest in seeing that sort of approach incubating and growing on the site.

Additionally, the general chat behaviour of those threads has been spilling out across the boards, preventing SFF discussion topics from remaining SFF discussion topics.

Also, the general lounge should be a place for general threads and discussions - but the fact that it's dominated by games threads is in real danger of not simply killing general conversation topics, but can also look very cliquey for newer members.

The chronicles network has developed a great sense of community and I wish to uphold that as much as possible, but I think it's becoming clear that we need to retain some sense of direction in terms of this being a SFF forum as part of a wider SFF site, and this is how it needs to develop.

Hopefully, the notion of moving general fun and games and chat to the Freecafe isn't going to be too much of a surprise to most people, especially since the launch of that site.

However, I am very open to concerns, questions, and queries, that people may have regarding changes to this site. Please do feel free to raise them, either in public, or in private, whichever you are most comfortable with.

Oh - on other news - I expect the new chronicles design to go live tomorrow. :)
    Princess Ivy

Princess Ivy Damsel in this dress

I'm on hand to welcome new members as always *conceals large club behind back*:D
    we've got some great games going over there, come give us a visit, then you to can be at my mercy
    *Very very evil mwahahahahaha Dr Evil laugh*
    can't wait to see the new chronicles design brian.
    Princess Ivy

Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Oh dear, I have erred! :eek:

Decided to join the Free Cafe. After registering I found out that I was already on the register, the worst thing is I cannot remember doing so!!!! Is it the same as Myth and Magic or is our Chronicles ID sent straight across when we click on the link?

Whatever the reason, how do I get rid of my 2nd registration.
    My first was as Rosemary, the second was Rosie but only because I was instructed that the name Rosemary was already in use!!!!!!
    Brian Turner

Sorry about that Rosemary - Freecafe was initially set up by transferring the chronicles database across, then removing lots of stuff. I couldn't cut out membership stuff, though.

So if you were a member of chronicles when freecafe was set up, then you're automatically a member of freecafe, too.

Sorry for the confusion, and don't worry too much about the second alias - not really a problem at all. :)
    kaneda

kaneda Did you not know?

:eek: wow! :D
    Rosemary

Rosemary The Wicked Sword Maiden

Thank you very much for the explanation Brian. I might just put a 'thread' out over, as a number of our 'friends' know me as Rosie.
    Stalker

Stalker Seeker of Sense

Thanks for the info, Brian. The question: are the game therads going to be moved in all their entirety to the freecafe or will be just "killed" here.
    BTW, I appreciate very much the new design of the Chronicles forum. Looks excellent!:)
    Princess Ivy

very very nice babe
    Alexa

Alexa traveller space dreamer

New games are available at Free Cafe. :)
    Brian Turner

Okay, official time for closing down game threads is Sunday, and I'll then set up an e-mail announcement about coming site changes on Monday.
    Lacedaemonian

Lacedaemonian A Plume of Smoke

It's all gravy. :)
    Stormflame

Stormflame The Prolific Warrior

RPG's are NOT game threads. I have a 'serious' rpg started in the lounge, and would ask that it be moved to the creative writing section. Games are mostly spam that takes up valuable database and server space. An rpg is a 'book' that is made good by creative writing on the part of many members of this forum.
    Thanks, Brian!
    Brian Turner

RPG threads are not games threads - it's basically general word games and similar - Freecafe has been set up to take those, but I may be delayed in getting the new changes implemented due to some serious technical problems at my end.
    Brian Turner

I've now removed most of the more immediate games threads from the lounge - please do use Freecafe for general chat games now please.

I appreciate that Freecafe still has some work to be done to it - the look needs improving and the boards are about to undergo re-arrangement - but you are more than welcome to join up and help shape the Freecafe experience. :)
    Princess Ivy

ours are up and running, quite well actually:D
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Well, that's gonna kill my post count.... How am I gonna catch up now?

Seriously, though, a good idea to seperate the games out. I had noticed they were seeming to outweigh the SFF side of things lately. And, as always, cheers for asking our opinions....
    Princess Ivy

you'll never catch me....bwahahahahahaha
    (sorry, force of habit)
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Let's see, I'd only have to post, like, one hundred messages to every one of yours, and I'd have you by... late next year.
    Princess Ivy

with the amount of time i'm online at the moment, it won't be that difficult