Should the Empire Series Continue?

I doubt Fiest will return to the Empire series unless he co-authors with Janny Wurts again, but if he does there is certainly scope for at least a novella in that setting again.
I'm not sure how successful he would be writing after the events of Mistress of the Empire, so possibly an earlier story on the formation of the Empire could be interesting.

Am I alone in preferring the Feist/Wurts books to the Feist only ones? Somehow, to me, Kelewan seems more imaginative and believable than the cod-mediaeval word of Midkemia.

I don't know about more believable, but definitely more imaginative and fun to read about. I'm with you!

Am I alone in preferring the Feist/Wurts books to the Feist only ones?

I'm the exact opposite. I didn't care much for the Empire series, and never even read the third book.

Jeff

my first experience of Feist was in the Empire Trilogy, and i thought they were brilliant, i loved the politics, the first two books being the better books.
(anybody remember the night of swords? when all the factions had to live in the emperial palace, and sparks flew?)
I thought the third book was a bit dissapointing, but the Empire series should continue by all accounts!

I found the third book the best...
I always like books with a little mystery which gets resolved and the characters then learn things about their world they never could have dreamt off. In this case that was the cho-ja thing...

Centurion said:
my first experience of Feist was in the Empire Trilogy, and i thought they were brilliant, i loved the politics, the first two books being the better books.
(anybody remember the night of swords? when all the factions had to live in the emperial palace, and sparks flew?)
I thought the third book was a bit dissapointing, but the Empire series should continue by all accounts!

The scene in the palace was excellent. I think "Servant of the Empire" ranks up with "Magician" as the best thing Feist has written. "Mistress Of The Empire" wasn't quite as good, although it did have some great scenes in (such as Arakasi sneaking into the assasain's stronghold).

Incidentally, although Feist has said that there will not be any more books primarily set in Kelewan, I think it is meant to feature quite a bit in one of the forthcoming Midkemia books (I can't remember if it is the next book, or the one after that).

pyanfaruk said:
Am I alone in preferring the Feist/Wurts books to the Feist only ones? Somehow, to me, Kelewan seems more imaginative and believable than the cod-mediaeval word of Midkemia.

I agree with you on that - IMO the Empire series is far superior to anything written by Feist alone (or with other co-writers). Kelewan was a much more original setting, and one which actually looked into the way that life may have been in such a society, rather than the idealised pseudo-medieval world of Midkemia that doesn't differ significantly from countless other epic fantasies.

Brys said:
t'll becomes stale like the Midkemia one

:O:O:O:O:O:O:OO:OO:O:OO:O!!!!!!!!

HEATHEN!!!!!!!
:O:O:O:O:O:O
!!!!!!!
:p

no it was a distraction that i didnt want, good books but better left as three of them

BOOKS ABOUT KELEWAN:

Empire trilogy
Magician
Honoured Enemy
and i suppose into a Dark Realm

A trilogy, and main parts of two books is more then some sub-plots get in other books. the midkemia saga are just that, its about midkemia. it looks like he tried wrinting more about kelewan with the trilogy, but you can see he failed to write more as there hasn't been any new material in years. he managed to describe the history of the place in magician, allowed the continuity of using the girl from kelewan to act as their ruler. there is absolutely no need to write more, as i believe he has described everything that can be done, and if he continues it'll all go down the spout

A trilogy, and main parts of two books is more then some sub-plots get in other books. the midkemia saga are just that, its about midkemia. it looks like he tried wrinting more about kelewan with the trilogy, but you can see he failed to write more as there hasn't been any new material in years. he managed to describe the history of the place in magician, allowed the continuity of using the girl from kelewan to act as their ruler. there is absolutely no need to write more, as i believe he has described everything that can be done, and if he continues it'll all go down the spout

kelewan was primarily J Wurts creation in the empire series...thatys why feist hasnt expanded too much...as collaberating with her took too much time.

yes he closed the trilogy off well...and it is fine as it lies....but there are still an awfull lot more stories to tell....like how lujens house progresses, how the new light of heaven deals with midkemia since his dads from there...etc

and the fact it didnt have massive character with outlandish powers made it a refreshing change

kelewan was primarily J Wurts creation in the empire series...thatys why feist hasnt expanded too much...as collaberating with her took too much time.

yes he closed the trilogy off well...and it is fine as it lies....but there are still an awfull lot more stories to tell....like how lujens house progresses, how the new light of heaven deals with midkemia since his dads from there...etc

and the fact it didnt have massive character with outlandish powers made it a refreshing change

how can you say no to pug??! Or tomas for that matter, i wouldn't have minded to see tomas go mad and do some real evil stuff before being confronted by pug.

I wish tomas went to land of Dasati too =P