Legend of Huma character sketches

Ernst Dabel

Hey, dwndrgn, I promised you that I would post some of the Legend of Huma character sketches so that I can get your feedback. I,Brian, funny you should mention Raistlin Majere, he is an excellent character, deep and mysterious, but I'm not sure if you know that his staff is called the Staff of Magius. Magius is a character in the Legend of Huma and he is the first character that I wanted to get some feedback about.

Magius (with or without the beard?):

How old is Magius? Seems rather young...I actually like the beard. Since I don't know the character I can't give definitive feedback but judging by the dress he isn't an 'action' type of character like a swordfighter so a beard is ok, maybe more defined, thinner...depending on the guy a breard can be very distinctive to placement in society...is he a courtier or a dandy? if so then the beard can be more quirky and fashionable, if he is more of a down-to-earth type of guy it can be fuller, further up the cheeks but close-cropped for neatness, if he is an active guy out doing good deeds and whatnot it can be longer and thinner, showing its purpose but also showing that it isn't a fashion statement. For a meticulous guy it can be pencil thin and razor-edge sharp or if he is forgetful and comfortable a little less defined, no goatee shape. Since you asked
biggrin.gif
. Be careful what you wish for...
tongue.gif

Dawn "Your Facial Hair Consultant" Dragon

I was sort of hoping to keep the Dragonlance Chronicles thread more open for discussion of the books - especially for newer members and lurkers. I also think the actual question of appraising the sketches will get more valuable attention in having its own thread. Hence the thread split. Hope no one minds. :)

As for feedback - my first impression is that the character is showing a kind of "noble dress fashion" I'd not expect with a mage - more socialite than recluse. On saying that, I've absolutely no idea how the character is represented in the writing. :)

What does the character itself say to myself? Without the beard says "Andy Warhol" - someone unconventional and unfathomable, always thinking precisely what you don't expect them to be thinking, yet still with a very clear purpose.

The one with the beard - doesn;t really speak to me - not in isolation, anyhow. Funny, though - it makes him look more depressed in the profile.

2 cents, anyhow. :)

Re:

Hey Dwndrgn, thanks for coming, how are you doing, my friend? To be honest they don't really tell us Magius' age, but he is young. No, he definitely is not an action type character. He is a renegade mage. He is described to have an aristocratic air, dressed more for the royal court than anywhere else. Some fantasy fans mentioned that a goatee would be more appropriate, others say that he should be clean shaven, everyone who's given me some feedback completely agree that he should not have a full beard. Quirky and fashionable, what did you have in mind? That's the first that I heard of the pencil thin and razor-edge sharp, you know, that's a very good idea :)

Hi again littlemissattitude :) So deep and mysterious calls for a beard, what did you think about what Dwndrgn mentioned about the pencil thin and razor-edge sharp beard? Since although Magius is deep and mysterious, in many ways like Raistlin who inherits his staff in the future, he is also described as being aristocratic.

No, not a problem at all, I,Brian, actually I panicked at first when I didn't see it, lol, just kidding. Thank you for taking the time to set up the thread for me, my friend, greatly appreciated :) How's your day going?

Yes, Magius is very sociable, and he does make his fashion statement. He is a very odd mage in that he doesn't follow the norm of mages.

So far it's split fifty/fifty, some like him clean-shaven while others want to see him with a beard, not a full beard, mind you, but a goatee, and in Dwndrgn's feedback razor thin.

Thank you all for your inputs :)

Re:

Here is the character sketch of Lord Oswal, please all feedbacks are appreciated.

Lord Oswal:

Hi again littlemissattitude :) So deep and mysterious calls for a beard, what did you think about what Dwndrgn mentioned about the pencil thin and razor-edge sharp beard? Since although Magius is deep and mysterious, in many ways like Raistlin who inherits his staff in the future, he is also described as being aristocratic.
Yes, Magius is very sociable, and he does make his fashion statement. He is a very odd mage in that he doesn't follow the norm of mages.
Well, Khan, I wasn't sure about the "pencil thin and razor-edge sharp beard". However, if he is indeed odd for a mage and concerned to make a fashion statement, that would probably quite appropriate. I also would advocate for a goatee version of thin and sharp rather than a full beard. However, there is something to consider with this: it might make him look a bit sinister. I don't know how appropriate this would be for his character. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool; I think it would. I don't know - I just keep thinking of the original Star Trek episode in which Spock has an alter-ego that has a goatee.
smile.gif

I'm going to have to think about Lord Oswal for a bit, I think, before I can comment on his sketches.

Without any form of beard does a lot for me. It really emphasises the nature of the character - it actually makes me interested, to want to read more.

Oswal's more normalised proportions also give him a real sense of character association.

I find these illustrations to be very alive.

I'm not sure how to explain the quirky and fashonable I was thinking of - sort of the regular goatee 'pencil-thin and razor sharp' but with a twist, maybe with no hair whatsoever between bottom lip and the bottom of the goatee. Showing he's unique. Of course, this is just my opinion - I'm not an artist and wouldn't presume to tell you what he should look like - I just like throwing in my two cents' worth.

As far as the Lord Oswal drawing, I like it a lot. Are you looking for any specific type of feedback (as with the beard on Magius)? Since I don't know the character, I'll have to go by just the image itself and what you say he should represent.

Re:

Goodafternoon, littlemissattitude :) You made a very good point, and I will talk to the artist in regards to this. I will patiently wait for your comments on Lord Oswal.

Thank you, I,Brian, for taking the time to give me your feedback on the beard. Also thank you for the complement on Lord Oswal, I will be sure to relay the compliment to the artist for you.

Dwndrgn, your two cents are greatly appreciated. No, for Lord Oswal there is nothing specific that you should be looking for. It seems that you like it and that is a very good thing :)

Now that I've thought about the Lord Oswal sketches a bit, he isn't as menacing as he struck me at first. He still looks scary to me, but not as dangerously scary as at first impression. In fact, especially in the 3/4 profile sketch, he looks more sad than anything. It's his eyes mostly that give that impression. Also, I like his moustache. And I really like the ram's-horn helmet. That's neat.

Re:

Thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts on Lord Oswal, my friend. Although in a position of high authority, there is a certain sadness to Lord Oswal in regards to Huma, the Hero of the Lance our main character. Yes, the moustache is a trademark of the Knights of Solamnia, and I'm really happy to hear that you like the helmet as well. Have a nice and safe weekend everyone, I'll be back again on Monday. Without any further ado, here is Huma :)

Re:

Here is Bennett, please all feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Bennett:

I like the fact that the 'hero of the lance' is left-handed. Southpaws don't get enough respect! He looks terribly young as well - but that makes sense - most heroes (especially when it comes to battle/swordplay) would almost have to be young.

Bennet looks like a 'brooder'. Is his character moody or one of those quiet, keep all feelings to themselves guys? If so, this image fits well, he seems to be either brooding over something that has him worried or just keeping the face up so that people can't guess his feelings.

The pencilled page of Huma seems to show what I would imagine a Viking berserker's eyes looked like while in the throes of a good berserk. I really like it.

This may seem like a trivial thing, but I really like Huma's hair. It just seems appropriate for a hero. I think it is interesting that his full figure in armor gives the impression of strength and steadfastness, but his portrait in profile hints at an essential sensitivity, perhaps even a fragility of some sort. Perhaps I am misreading the character, or trying to read into him something that I would expect in a hero. I don't know. I guess I just like my heroes to be a bit complicated.

My first impression of Bennett is of a deep fierceness. From his appearance, I certainly wouldn't want him angry at me.

These characters do look good - though if I may say so, I would personally hope the inking colours are not too strong. Although the colours on the Martin characters are great, there's something about the black and white character sketches that demands my attention. Not sure why. Perhaps it's because the contrast is more focussed, which helps push through personality more.

The page from Huma - funny, those goblin/orc/nasty gnarly thing figures look almost like Bret Ewins work. I remember his from 2000AD, not least "Bad Company".

One niggle I have is the helmets - a couple of them look quite impractical - the eye spaces are too wide and likely open to arrow shot...and the face guard's aren't very protective looking. A heavy blow in Huma's face and his helmet is going to protect little...he's going to look a mess! But, then again, I'm very much more in the "realism" school of fantasy - more historical reality than fantasy in itself. I guess it's simply an issue of necessary artistic license - especially for viewing character eyes. Besides, it's Dragonlance. :)

Heck, a ramble, I guess.

Re:

Hi everyone, How are you all doing, just one more day before the weekend :)

Dwndrgn, definitely Southpaw :) This will please my kid brother who is the only one in the house who is left-handed :) Yes, Huma is young but he has premature grays in his mustache and hair. Bennett is not really a brooder, but you'll find out about him and I think you might find him very...interesting :) Huma does look like he could go berserk though. Not one to be crossed :)

Littlemissattitude, all I can say is wow, you just described Huma and Bennett perfectly. Did you read the book yet? If you didn't yet, then you have a good way of reading art and being able to describe it perfectly :)

I,Brian, I'm happy that you like them :) I agree with you, I don't want the inking to be too strong as well. I understand what you mean about the black & white character sketches :)

Wow, you seem to know alot about armor! We did indeed allow the artist some artistic liberty to make things more...interesting, and more visually stimulating
biggrin.gif