New Covers for The Darkweaver Legacy

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
Here they are in sequence.

Attachments

• Book 1 RGB.jpg
    Book 1 RGB.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 300
I have to admit I do like the covers as well - there's something very distinct and different about them - a sense of movement that perhaps you don't always see. I think it could possibly be the way the lighting/highlighting has been air-brushed in -almost seems to add a blur suggestive of motion. The use of the necklace is a very good way to state a connection between them - though I don't see a numbering on reading order?? Or are they effectively running independently about a theme? Apologies for my ignorance.

I said:
I have to admit I do like the covers as well - there's something very distinct and different about them - a sense of movement that perhaps you don't always see. I think it could possibly be the way the lighting/highlighting has been air-brushed in -almost seems to add a blur suggestive of motion. The use of the necklace is a very good way to state a connection between them - though I don't see a numbering on reading order?? Or are they effectively running independently about a theme? Apologies for my ignorance.

I decided against having the numbers on the front this time, as I didn't want to clutter the images. They do run in sequence. The numbers are both on the spine and on the back of the book. I utilised the amulet/necklace again on the spine to house the book number. Dwndrgn made the point only yesterday that books are so crammed onto the bookshelves in bookshops these days that people rarely see the cover first - more often the spine. Let's face it, I'm not well known enough to expect a face out! I kept this in mind when designing. It certainly adds something - even Geoff Taylor commented on it!

rune said:
I love these new covers, they look very classy :D

Thanks, rune. I like the sound of classy!

Mark, those are really nice covers, not that I'd ever be influenced by such things... ;)

Then again if they come in Leather or PVC... :D :D :D

BTW have replied on your market research thread.. :D

Thanks, Gollum. As an interesting aside, the imminent launch of these new cover versions seems to have had an interesting effect on sales of the old cover versions. Apparently people suddenly see them as having the potential to be a good investment - particularly the first editions. As they were small print runs, I guess this makes sense, but I've had 2 people in the last month who have, unsolicited, paid me £100 (£25/copy) for a first edition signed set.

I tend to agree - though initially I had a problem with the unfeasible angle at which the Magician's arms appeared from the bottom of the picture. But then, why shouldn't he be able to get his forearms into that position? He is a Magician after all! :D

HMMM..Mark I think all this talk of your books and how a book's appearance can influence you is starting ot have an efect especially since seeing this really nice cover art. I think I now want to get your books after all the postivie feedback i've been hearing about them LOL!.. :confused: *Bows to Mr. Pavlov*... :D

Seriously I will chase those books up but also did you do the cover art or who exactly? Good artist... :cool:

Sorry if this has been alluded to in previous conversations... :eek:

PS Particularly like cover on Book 4... :)

Mark Urpen said:
Thanks, Gollum. As an interesting aside, the imminent launch of these new cover versions seems to have had an interesting effect on sales of the old cover versions. Apparently people suddenly see them as having the potential to be a good investment - particularly the first editions. As they were small print runs, I guess this makes sense, but I've had 2 people in the last month who have, unsolicited, paid me £100 (£25/copy) for a first edition signed set.
OOOhhhh! Does that mean I can sell my signed copies on ebay for oodles of cash now that you are rich and famous :p Just kidding! They'll stay on my bookshelf except for those times I loan them out for reading. I had one friend who was afraid to borrow them from me because they were signed and she had never even heard of you! Now I really feel special :)

Oddly enough, while I love the dragon (natch ;) ) I find the Tale of the Huntress cover to be most interesting to me. Could be because I am female, not sure. But, that being said, they are all very cool and if my local bookshop decides to carry them, I'll make sure you get a face out if I have to do it myself! I'm not above a little surreptitious rearranging of books.:D

Well I personally prefered the cover of Book One. All four of the covers were very well done, I like Geoff Taylors art work.:)
Will they be the same covers if you sell them overseas?

GOLLUM said:
Mark, those are really nice covers, not that I'd ever be influenced by such things... ;)

Oh dear, I really don't think the painted/printed covers would look very nice on Leather or PVC, gollum:eek:
Mark has obviously got a good tast in design. The old Classic books bound in leather are more suited.

Leather on something else is another matter:D :eek: :D;)

GOLLUM said:

BTW have replied on your market research thread.. :D

This probably sounds really shallow, and bit thick. But I love nice cover art on my fantasy books. Makes me shelves look great :D But on top of that it seems to help me remember a story, all I have to do is look at the cover and the story springs to mind. Of course the more interesting, well designed and classy a cover is the clear my memory is :D

I said:
Artist is Geoff Taylor - Mark has a thread on him at the Art board here:
http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3695
Thanks Brian.... :)

No Rune that's not shallow at all. Whilst I'm not overly influenced by the cover art on a book, if I have a book that's both good in content and has a great cover then that's a double bonus for me!! :D :D

Interesting point about how the cover can be used to remind one of the story arc, never thought of it in that particular way, good comment.. :)