Sci-Fi Recommendations - for the unenlightened

I always find it hard selecting a new work or author to read, as well as tending to get into a rut reading a lot of a few authors.
Anyone care to make some suggestions based on what I've got? LamontCranston's books | LibraryThing
Well, an obvious suggestion springs to mind given that you have a "dying earth" category but no Jack Vance listed; "Tales of a Dying Earth" I would also recommend "Lyonesse" and "The Blue World" by Vance.

Vance SF is more heavy read than Dying Earth stories. I smiled through,had alot of fun reading Cugel stories. Short stories,novellas that are picturesque,imaginative,with great prose isn't hard to read.

I wonder if anyone here have read Paul J. McAuley? His far future stories,novel,themes sound interesting. Was looking for recommendation on where to start with him.

I wonder if anyone here have read Paul J. McAuley? His far future stories,novel,themes sound interesting. Was looking for recommendation on where to start with him.
Yes McAuley is another author I want to try. His Eternal Light is kind of in the style of Clarke's 2001 a space odyssey with a bit of Ringworld thrown in, so I've heard.

While we're at it. I recently purchased Songs Of A Dying Earth - An anthology in honour of Vance's very own subgenre. Yet to read but it looks excellent!

Already recommended back in May last year, but having read the whole series, I'm re-recommending John Scalzi's book and series Old Man's War

I've always been a fan of Peter F Hamilton - especially the Nights Dawn trilogy. Very easy to read, action packed and not too techy.

I'd like to recommend Chris Moriarty's Spin Control and Spin State.

Last edited:
Also, David Drake's "RCN" series - starting with "With the Lightnings".

Last edited:
I just realized that i have not read First Contact SF other than Childhood's End.

Are there any essential books of that type ? It can be a classic that is 80 years old or a brand new book.

I just realized that i have not read First Contact SF other than Childhood's End.

Are there any essential books of that type ? It can be a classic that is 80 years old or a brand new book.
Neal Asher's Prador Moon is a first contact story,with not a positive outcome-the Prador are not pleasant!
Also don't forget Carl Sagan's only novel, Contact-excellent! (Even tho I don't believe in SETI)
A.E.van vogt's The Voyage of the Space Beagle is excellent but not sure if it first contact-either way its very good!

Footfall by Niven/Pournelle. Aliens come visiting. With rocks.
The Mote in God's Eye also by Niven/Pournelle. We make contact with them.

Thanks guys, for the recommendations.

No quality,original First Contact book in the last 20,30 years ? Other than the Neal Asher one AE recommended.