Book Hauls!

Recently found a new used book store in a nearby town and picked up an omnibus of the 10 volumes of Amber. I haven't read any of these yet, but I've had enough recommendations for them to be curious.

Heretic Kings - Kearney
Knight of the Black and White - Whyte
Revelation Space - Reynolds
Children of Amarid - Coe
Booknotes: Stories from American History - various

Nice and sharing people from bookmooch has sent me these books and i am waiting eagerly for them.

Synners - Pat Cadigan
Moon of Three Rings - Andrè Norton

Nice and sharing people from bookmooch has sent me these books and i am waiting eagerly for them.

Synners - Pat Cadigan
Moon of Three Rings - Andrè Norton

Moon of Three Rings is one of my favorite Andre Norton books. There are several followups to that book, but I don't remember offhand what they are.

Todays aquistions:
Lucifer's Hammer - Niven, Pournelle which is half the thickness but almost the same weight as
The Dreaming Void - Peter F Hamilton and is heavier than
Troy Fall of Kings - David & Stella Gemmell but about the same weight but smaller than
The Prefect - Alastair Reynolds

And no I dunno why either. :D

The post brought Ballantine editions of....

Xiccorpath - Clark Ashton Smith
Posseidonis - Clark Ashton Smith

Just picked up the following on eBay:

Williamson: The Humanoids
Sterling: Islands in the Net
Silverberg: Dying Inside
Delaney: Einstein Intersection
Blish: A Case of Conscience
Anderson: Tau Zero

I have read three of these before, but I got the Eastons for my collection. Yippee!

Just picked up the following on eBay:

Williamson: The Humanoids
Sterling: Islands in the Net
Silverberg: Dying Inside
Delaney: Einstein Intersection
Blish: A Case of Conscience
Anderson: Tau Zero

I have read three of these before, but I got the Eastons for my collection. Yippee!

Very nice haul there, Omphalos... The Humanoids holds up rather well, I thought (though I was disappointed with The Humanoid Touch); "With Folded Hands" still delivers an intense chill even after all these years! All the rest are quite good, too, though I will admit that A Case of Conscience was one that had to grow on me a bit (especially the ending). Now I'd put it high on my list of thought-provoking sf on the theme of religion and science....

The post brought Ballantine editions of....

Xiccorpath - Clark Ashton Smith
Posseidonis - Clark Ashton Smith

Hate to do this Mr. G, but shouldn't that be Xiccarph? At any rate, very nice books, and the Gallardo artwork is a decided plus....

Very nice haul there, Omphalos... The Humanoids holds up rather well, I thought (though I was disappointed with The Humanoid Touch); "With Folded Hands" still delivers an intense chill even after all these years! All the rest are quite good, too, though I will admit that A Case of Conscience was one that had to grow on me a bit (especially the ending). Now I'd put it high on my list of thought-provoking sf on the theme of religion and science....

Williamson is one of the few classic authors that I have never read before. Not even the short stuff that grew into this book. Im looking forward to it, but I still have five or six books from publishers I have to get to before I can start it.

I just picked up eight William Tenn books (Ballentine firsts, the lot of 'em) at the local Library Friends sale. They are:

Of Men and Monsters
The Human Angle
The Wooden Star
The Seven Sexes
Of all Possible Worlds
The Square Root of Man

Oops! And two duplicates. That'll teach me to look more closely!

Nice to see that name again. Tenn (ps. of Philip Klass, for those unaware) was a rather unique voice in sf at the time, and produced some very good straight (as well as ironic) work. His "Bernie the Faust" remains, I think, one of the most wickedly humorous looks at the "bargain with the devil" stories around....

I hope you like it more than I did, Lady of Winterfell.

On Tuesday I picked up
Breath by Tim Winton
and yesterday I got
The Sum of All Men by David Farland (have never heard of this guy before)
Warrior by Jennifer Fallon (it took me a while to get into, but I love Jennifer Fallon now).

Perish the thought, my fair (if wolven!) lady!

Yes, I am unabashedly (is that a word?!) a Wurts fan, but I think the book's enthralling. Give it a few chapters to get going though, and I hope you like it.

No worries there Grim, I always give a book a few chapters before I say Nay. :) Usually I keep reading just in case it gets really really good.

I'll let you know what I think once I get started. I'm currently reading The Dragonbone Chair, which, in my opinion, had quite a slow start. But it is picking up a bit now.

Itty bitty teensy weensy little

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

here

Yes it (ie, TDC) did, but if you survive the catacombs and Simon's initial flight into the wild, Williams rewards you for your patience!

To have most of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and all of Wars of Light and Shadow stretched out before oneself, beckoning.....ah, sorry, but to me you are in a most enviable position with your reading to-dos, milady!

Please don't apologize! :) Sounds like a good place for me to be.

I remember when I started reading GRRM's A Game of Thrones every one said the same thing. :) After I finished the series (and now reading it a second time through) I find myself saying the same thing to those just starting out in the series. :)