Book Hauls!

I didn't find this title but I was able to find the following titles by entering Owain in the author search at bookfinder.com . You need to scroll to the "see also" section below the results search. I would then email the booksellers with these titles and they may have a source or recommendation for finding the book you want.

Thanks. He was a well known writer and political activist. He designed the tafod y ddraeg (dragon's tongue) logo which is used by Cymdaethas yr Iaith, a Welsh language rights direct action pressure group. I think Y Dydd Olaf was his only sf. I have seen various of his works on the bookshelves of friends, but had not heard of the sf until recently: it is now on the wants list of a couple of Welsh language dealers in West Wales. Patience is necessary in this situation.

For my Christmas haul, I received a book each on math, language, literature, and philosophy as well as a volume of poetry (Juvenal, which is handy as it's hard to get a common Classical book I don't have but I'm weak on Roman satirists).

More relevant to this board, I received Liu Cixin's The Three Body Problem, which is really nifty: I'd resolved to avoid this author but saw a copy in a used store, thought about getting it anyway, but stuck to my resolve. Then I read a story by him just a few days ago while reviewing Clarkesworld for Tangent and, to my surprise, liked it a great deal. So then I was regretting not having gotten the book. And then I got the book. :)

Today arrived in the mail:

The Ring Goes Ever On, a massive, two-volume compilation of papers on matters Tolkienian:

The Ring Goes Ever On: Proceedings of the Tolkien 2005 Conference - Tolkien Gateway

The Coming of the Barbarians: A Story of Western Settlement in Japan, 1853-1870, a book by Pat Barr reprinted in the Penguin Travel Library
1399215180-12391-9.jpg

I went to a used book store which is closing its doors for good. (See the thread about book stores no longer in business for more details.) I got thirteen books for fifty cents each. Let's see how many I can remember. (No fancy editions, just ordinary paperbacks.)

"Classics":

Erewhon by Samuel Butler (1872) -- the famous satire/

Maurice by E. M. Forster (written 1913-1914/1932/1959-1960; published posthumously 1971) -- the famous novel of same-sex love.

A biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald, author and title forgotten.

The Last Tycoon by F. Scott Fitzgerald -- his last, incomplete novel, published posthumously 1941.

Babylon Revisted and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1960 collection of stories from 1920 to 1937.)

A collection of stories, short plays, and song lyrics by Noel Coward, exact title forgotten.

Science Fiction and Fantasy:

All Judgment Fled by James White (1968 novel)

The Moon and the Sun by Vonda N. McIntyre (1997 novel)

Terry's Universe edited by Beth Meacham (1989 anthology in honor of Terry Carr)

W3: Women in Deep Time by Greg Bear (2003 collection)

Futures edited by Peter Crowther (2001 anthology of four novellas)

The Falling Torch by Algis Budrys (1991 revision of 1959 novel)

I'm darned if I can remember what the last one is.

I like the picture below. Anybody else find it appealing?

I do as long as I repress memories of being the guy that had to re-shelve the books.

My own late year book hauls include these,

25387573.jpg

and

25431247.jpg

Taking the former slowly -- easy to overdose, though Penzler is a fine editor and his story selection appears entertaining -- and just started the first novel in the latter, Laura by Vera Caspery. If the title seems familiar, it was the basis of a movie of the same name, released in 1944 with Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews and Clifton Webb, directed by Otto Preminger, one of my favorites from that time period.

Randy M.

My wife had some extra trade-in credit so she let me get these with some of her "book bucks" as the store calls them:

The Charlie Chan is from 1928 so should be good, but for some reason I thought John P. Marquand wrote the Chan series.

In the mail came Tim Butcher's Chasing the Devil, which retraces the walk of Graham Green and Barbara Greene in Sierra Leone and Liberia back in the 1930s.
butcher-m_1702885f.jpg

Having just reread the Greenes' books, I was particularly interested in Butcher's, and am not disappointed.
51UZVioufxL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My wife had some extra trade-in credit so she let me get these with some of her "book bucks" as the store calls them:
The Charlie Chan is from 1928 so should be good, but for some reason I thought John P. Marquand wrote the Chan series.

Hi, Dask.

Just and FYI: Marquand wrote the Mr. Moto series.

Randy M.

Re: Recent Buys

Do books on pre-order count?

If so, I am awaiting the publication of Stephen Donaldson's 'Runes Of The Earth' which is the first of four books in a new Thomas covenant series. I hope it's worth the wait. :)
Is Thomas still the unbeliever, or did he finally come around?

Is Thomas still the unbeliever, or did he finally come around?
Reading my posts in this thread should answer your question...let's just say my original:) has become :mad:
The Last Dark - on its way.

On a lighter note...picked up a couple of interesting books on the history of Superheroes/heroines in comic books. The first is The Legion Of Regrettable Heroes reminiscing about such forgotten gems as Doctor Hormone and Fat Man (yes, there actually was one).

The second is Dames. Divas and Daredevils...focussing on forgotten heriones.
Quite interesting this one - for example - we have The Spider Queen: female crime fighter with bracelets that shoot liquid webbing years before Spidey was a twinkle in Stan Lee's eye. Then there's the Amazon that falls in love with a man from the modern world and leaves her homeland, travelling to America to fight the good fight.
Sound familiar? It ain't Wonder Woman but Amazona The Mighty Woman and she was there before the satin-tighted one.

Amazing what useless information you can cram your brain with:)

I blew all my gift cards in one glorious binge that included a trip to the library, a book store, and an amazon order and resulted in me acquiring:

Count of Monte Cristo - Alexander Dumas (Buss translation)
Beat to Quarters and Ship of the Line - C.S. Forester
Wool - Hugh Howey
Theft of Swords - Michael J Sullivan
Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained - Peter F Hamilton
Star Wars: Scoundrels - Timothy Zahn

I'm going to have some adventures this year!

Book haul in waiting: Sunday lunch booked in a pub in Hay on Wye bookended by some fun browsing.

That's sound like the kind of thing I would like to do for my birthday. I haven't been in Hay on Wye for a while, but a few times, we even slept there and had two days of book hunting. Bliss!