Book Hauls!

The university bookstore held a sale and I came across inexpensive paperbacks of The Return by Walter de la Mare and The Patience of the Spider by Andrea Camilleri. I have a sneaking suspicion I have an old copy of the former somewhere, but I think it would take me awhile to dig it out. A friend of mine recommended the Camilleri mystery series.

Also bought a pb of Tenth of December by George Saunders.

Randy M.

Got a used copy of Drury's Advise and Consent, which got lots of good reviews and a Pulitzer prize back in the day and is still considered to be the great Washington novel by some.

Found a couple of books at the Library book sale last week:

CUSTER contains two of Henry's earlier novels about the General: YELLOW HAIR, 1953, and CUSTER'S LAST STAND, 1966. Both books were a buck a piece.

Last day of the Library book sale was $4 per bag or 25¢ a book. With so many book hounds sniffing around scooping up armloads of books, some scarcely looking like they knew exactly what they were shoveling into their paper bags, I challenged myself to see if I could find a buck's worth. No easy task, but here's what I came up with:

MAN MASTERS NATURE is a collection of short biographies from the world of science spanning the gamut from Aristotle to Watson/Crick. All the household names are here, got it mostly for the essay on Alan Turing.

THE THIRD BULLET is a collection, the first I've ever came across by Dickson. I'm sure there are others, just haven't seen them. If I were to walk out with only one book, this would have been it.

Just scored , for £1.99 apeice, from the local Oxfam bookshop, the following Orange Penguin editions:
Wodehouse:
The Mating Season 1961
Meet Mr Mulliner 1962
Full Moon 1961
Ernest Bramah
Kai Lung's Golden Hours 1938
Kai Lung Unrolls His Mat 1954
brmeklghPB.JPG

I do like the old Penguin orange paperbacks, with the Gill Sans font on the cover. Wodehouse seems natural in this format, probably because my grandparents had dozens of them. Ernest Bramah is a much less common find: humorous short stories from the early 20s in which an itenerant story teller wonders around a fictional China. The dialogue is elaborate and droll, and would appeal to anyone who likes that aspect of Jack Vance.
David Langford has some interesting things to say about Bramah here: http://ansible.uk/writing/bramah.html

Last edited:
For me (who tends to only grab 2 or 3 books at a time), something of a major haul:

Fantasy Gone Wrong, compiled by Martin Greenberg (I'm sure this is noted within The Chrons somewhere, but my possibly-less-than-diligent search failed to find it)
Elemental: The Tsunami Relief Anthology: Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy, compiled by Chrons member Steven Savile (intro to book and himself is here)
Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy, compiled by Al Sarrantonio (commented by several on in the March 2009 version of what we're reading this month)
Master of Whitestorm, by Janny Wurts
Gypsy Morph, by Terry Brooks

I have to double-check, but I think the first four complete my Janny Wurts collection of what's published in book form. Been meaning to grab Gypsy Morph for a while. My owned-and-to-be-read list has not been this large for some time...;)

Last edited:
I picked up some more of the Penguin 'micro' Black Classic reads that form part of the publisher's 80th year celebrations.....

The Great Fire Of London - Samuel Pepys *From Pepys' Diary.
Traffic - John Ruskin *Extract from his writings.
A Hippo Banquet - Mary Knigsley ^From Travels in West Africa.
The Old Man and the Moon - Feng Shu *From his classic Six Records of a Floating Life.

And...a very nice and affordable collection of classic short English novels. I only have the Peacock and possibly the Conrad and an extract from the Johnson novella from a Johnson reader. Hopefully they live up to the tag of 'masterpiece'. Either way a good catch I think...:)

Masterpieces of the English Short Novel - Edited by Kenneth Brown.
I know some folk here will be interested in the contents so...

Life of Richard Savage - Richard Johnson.
Castle Rackrent - Maria Edgeworth.
The Room in the Dragon Voilant. - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
Cousin Phillis - Mrs. Gaskell.
The Lifted Veil - George Eliot.
The Case of General Opile and Lady Camper - George Meredith.
Nightmare Abbey - Thomasa Love Peacock.
Liber Amonis - William Hazlitt.

An unusual collection....

Last edited:
That last one is Liber Amoris -- haven't read it, but I think it is about Hazlitt's anguished passion for a working-class girl -- is that right? It seems odd that it is presented here as a novel, likewise with the Johnson Life of Savage; but the Johnson is worth reading, in any event!

"Cousin Phillis" is superb.

I have that collection on my pile of stuff to be read.

My collection also has "The Secret Sharer" by Joseph Conrad; is your collection different? Maybe they added a very famous novella for my edition.

The only one I have read before (although I can't honestly recall if I have read "The Secret Sharer" or if it's just so famous that I have absorbed it as part of my cultural background) is "The Lifted Veil," from an anthology of fantastic fiction by women with the same title. I am not at all familiar with the others.

My previous review of "The Lifted Veil":

"The Lifted Veil" by "George Eliot" (Mary Anne Evans) (1859) -- Rather "literary" novella narrated by a man who has the ability to see into the future and to know the feelings of others, with tragic consequences. Although an introspective, psychological story for most of its length, there's an unexpected turn of events near the end which turns it into pure Gothic horror.

That last one is Liber Amoris -- haven't read it, but I think it is about Hazlitt's anguished passion for a working-class girl -- is that right? It seems odd that it is presented here as a novel, likewise with the Johnson Life of Savage; but the Johnson is worth reading, in any event!
"Cousin Phillis" is superb.
Yes (to both your points) it is described as being a bit self-indulgent according to the introduction but also an almost clinical description of self-indulgence that has great merit.

As the title alludes to these are short novels, probably what I would have labelled as novellas....unless your point regarding 'novel' has more to do with structure or some other facet I'm missing? Good to hear "Cousin Phillis" is worth reading.

I have that collection on my pile of stuff to be read.
My collection also has "The Secret Sharer" by Joseph Conrad; is your collection different? Maybe they added a very famous novella for my edition.
The only one I have read before (although I can't honestly recall if I have read "The Secret Sharer" or if it's just so famous that I have absorbed it as part of my cultural background) is "The Lifted Veil," from an anthology of fantastic fiction by women with the same title. I am not at all familiar with the others.
Sorry, I forgot to list the "The Secret Sharer" by Joseph Conrad. That makes up the 9 short novels in this anthology. The Lifted Veil sounds promising.

As the title alludes to these are short novels, probably what I would have labelled as novellas....unless your point regarding 'novel' has more to do with structure or some other facet I'm missing? Good to hear "Cousin Phillis" is worth reading.

I meant that the Liber Amoris is (as I understand, haven't read it) nonfiction, rather than fiction.

Maybe the Liber is what now gets called "creative nonfiction"??

I meant that the Liber Amoris is (as I understand, haven't read it) nonfiction, rather than fiction.
Maybe the Liber is what now gets called "creative nonfiction"??
The Editor Kenneth Brown states in his introduction that the first 2 works resemble elements of nonfiction (Life of Richard Savage - Richard Johnson & Castle Rackrent - Maria Edgeworth) and alludes that Liber Amoris is a 'personal' nonfictional account.

I know there is a Genre category the 'nonfiction; novel' of which Capote's In Cold Blood seems to be held up as a prime example where you have a blending of fiction and fact. Another example I suppose is the popular 'historical novel'. Presumably some forms of reportage might also be placed into the creative nonfiction bucket?

So I would say you are on the right track using the generic term creative nonfiction.

Does that help at all?

His name was spelled "Sanders." Different person entirely.

Yup. One of my favorite 1940s actors.

Saunders is primarily a short story writer with a fair amount of literary cache, some of whose work fades over into genre-like premises. I enjoyed about 1/2 the stories in CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, and I've been told his later collections are even better. (The other half weren't bad, just a bit repetitive.)

Randy M.

My latest Amazon order finally arrived:

The two copies of Astounding are apparently not sf magazine replicants but reprints in book form. They're very attractive for trade paperbacks but gone are the original ads and the covers could have been reproduced better. The Edmond Hamilton is a collection of the later, more mature adventures of Captain Future. I read one a year or so ago in an early 50's issue of Startling and can attest to that. The Planet Stories are the first two issues and the Startling is the second. The G-8 was simply irresistible.

A recent haul....

Lost Illusions - Honore de Balzac *Penguin Black Classic. Part of his momentous Human Comedy cycle.
Blurb: Written between 1837 and 1843, Lost Illusions reveals, perhaps better than any other of Balzac's ninety-two novels, the nature and scope of his genius. The story of Lucien Chardon, a young poet from Angoulême who tries desperately to make a name for himself in Paris, is a brilliantly realistic and boldly satirical portrait of provincial manners and aristocratic life. Handsome and ambitious but naïve, Lucien is patronized by the beau monde as represented by Madame de Bargeton and her cousin, the formidable Marquise d'Espard, only to be duped by them. Denied the social rank he thought would be his, Lucien discards his poetic aspirations and turns to hack journalism; his descent into Parisian low life ultimately leads to his own death.

Pamela - Samuel Richardson *Penguin Black Classic.
Blurb: Fifteen-year-old Pamela Andrews, alone and unprotected, is relentlessly pursued by her dead mistress's son. Although she is attracted to young Mr B., she holds out against his demands and threats of abduction and rape, determined to defend her virginity and abide by her own moral standards. Psychologically acute in its investigations of sex, freedom and power, Richardson's first novel caused a sensation when it was first published, with its depiction of a servant heroine who dares to assert herself. Richly comic and full of lively scenes and descriptions, Pamela contains a diverse cast of characters, ranging from the vulgar and malevolent Mrs Jewkes to the aggressive but awkward country squire who serves this unusual love story as both its villain and its hero

Kusamakura - Natsume Soswki *Penguin Black Classic.
Blurb: Natsume Soseki's Kusamakura follows its nameless young artist-narrator on a meandering walking tour of the mountains. At the inn at a hot spring resort, he has a series of mysterious encounters with Nami, the lovely young daughter of the establishment. Nami, or 'beauty,' is the centre of this elegant novel, the still point around which the artist moves and the enigmatic subject of Soseki's word painting. In the author's words, Kusamakura is 'a haiku-style novel, that lives through beauty.' Written at a time when Japan was opening its doors to the rest of the world, Kusamakura turns inward, to the pristine mountain idyll and the taciturn lyricism of its courtship scenes, enshrining the essence of old Japan in a work of enchanting literary nostalgia.

The Antiquarian - Gustavo Patriau.
Blurb: The Antiquarian is Gustavo Faverón Patriau’s masterfully conceived, engrossing story of murder, madness, and passion that is set against the landscape of an unnamed South American country ravaged by political violence and corruption.

How Proust Can Change Your Life - Alain De Botton
Blurb:Alain de Botton combines two unlikely genres--literary biography and self-help manual--in the hilarious and unexpectedly practical How Proust Can Change Your Life.
Who would have thought that Marcel Proust, one of the most important writers of our century, could provide us with such a rich source of insight into how best to live life? Proust understood that the essence and value of life was the sum of its everyday parts. As relevant today as they were at the turn of the century, Proust's life and work are transformed here into a no-nonsense guide to, among other things, enjoying your vacation, reviving a relationship, achieving original and unclichéd articulation, being a good host, recognizing love, and understanding why you should never sleep with someone on a first date. It took de Botton to find the inspirational in Proust's essays, letters and fiction and, perhaps even more surprising, to draw out a vivid and clarifying portrait of the master from between the lines of his work. ..Here is Proust as we have never seen or read him before: witty, intelligent, pragmatic. He might well change your life.

Lost Illusions - Honore de Balzac *Penguin Black Classic. Part of his momentous Human Comedy cycle.
Nice one. We should talk Balzac some time. I'm just starting my fifth Balzac novel as it happens - Cousin Pons. I recently got done cataloguing all La Comédie Humaine novels and short stories into specific subject groups and chronological order and whether or not they are novels or shorts, in order to get my head around the best works to look out for and those not to bother with (there are some weaker works in the 90-odd story cycle). If anyone is genuinely interested (I'm not expecting to be crushed in the eager rush) I will stick the full list up in a Balzac thread along with comments on what I understand are worth looking for. There may be other Balzac nuts here? And if so, I'd love to know, as I'm certainly not an expert.