Book Hauls!

Nice Vance haul. Never hurts to include the best. Have to admit, though, I never heard of Space Family Stone by Heinlein. Is this an alternate title of an existing work?
One of the less impressive Heinlein juveniles, I thought at about 14 years old.

Nice Vance haul. Never hurts to include the best. Have to admit, though, I never heard of Space Family Stone by Heinlein. Is this an alternate title of an existing work?
Two alternates I think: The Rolling Stones and Tramp Space Ship

About Vance, I have a little reserve of his novels on a favorite shelf, for rainy days. I buy and read a few every year, especially when I need cheering up.
I'm a bit intrigued about the Heinlein, though. I think I never read him, even though I've been into the genre for nearly 30 years...

High School Book Sale time again.

Not exactly a "haul", but new (to me!) SFF, nevertheless!

Cachalot, by Alan Dean Foster (loved the Spellsinger Books, looking forward to reading Foster again)
Magician's Guild, by Trudi Canavan (heard of her thru this here Chrons place...sign of your postings hard at work! :D)

7130221.jpg
14691(2).jpg
126271.jpg
24576182.jpg

Refills of fav classic greats. Poets from Ireland and Spanish Arabia.

About Vance, I have a little reserve of his novels on a favorite shelf, for rainy days. I buy and read a few every year, especially when I need cheering up.
I'm a bit intrigued about the Heinlein, though. I think I never read him, even though I've been into the genre for nearly 30 years...

Hehe i have the same a reserve shelf of Vance novels i have saved to read later. I shelf my bookshelfs emotionally and the man in my avatar is in topshelf. Welcome belatly always great to see another Vance fan :)

Speaking about Heinlein it depends if you like Hard SF that are political,serious of his stories or if you want his juvies that are more mix and more exciting storytelling. I read him for both, he is not the greatest prose writer, or greatest characters writer but he is a master of pure storytelling ability and great ideas writer in his more serious adult SF. He is a must read if you are SF fan even for a year. He is one of few true Grandmasters of the field. I prefer him over Asimov,Clarke for example.

Thanks for the little insight about Heinlein, Connavar. Your Dunsany haul looks great and the Hispano-arabic poetry, looks like quite a find. As for Jack Vance, you've got also good taste. His immagination was impressive. They are podcast of him, with interviews on the radio on Youtube. Just search Jack Vance. If Heinlein is a good storyteller, so, I won't be disappointed, then.
Yesterday, as a little birthday treat, I got Fire upon the deep by Vernor Vinge from Oxfam. I read the Snow Queen, by his ex-wife, a few summers ago and I was enthralled. I heard he is also quite good.
Oxfam, in the UK, is maybe the only Charity Shop where they don't throw old or oldish SF books. Last year, around this time, I had a Vance haul from an Oxfam bookshop, about 7 of his, all in great condition. I can't remember the titles, though. I think there was among them The House of Iszm, the Languages of Pao and Son of Tree. I read and liked them a lot. Especially the Son of Tree and the way the protagonist dispatched the threat the intruder presented to this world. I don't want to reveal more, in case some people want to read it.

41flikS-cvL.jpg

I'm on page 32 which, considering I'm reading something else and was only intending to take a peek, says it's pretty good so far. :)

Vance is a recent discovery for me - I've read, Showboat World, Trullion: Alastor 2262, and The Eyes of the Overworld in the last couple of years and loved them. But ground to a halt with Araminta Station after about 50 pages. Am I destined only to like his 'earlier funnier stuff'?

I reckon most of Vance is witty, possibly excepting Emphyrio.

Araminta Station is possibly my favourite Vance. Along with all the rest.

I received John Scalzi's Last Colony and Zoe's Tale the other day and Half a World is coming next week!

A couple of library discards -- old, shabby books:

Fairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm
-- Windermere Series -- Rand McNally, illustrated by Hope Dunlap

Book of the Three Dragons by Kenneth Morris -- Junior Literary Guild

The Grimm is the same edition as a book my family found left behind when we moved into a house around 1960. This would be one of the first books with fantastic themes that I encountered, and I like the picture of the dwarf, but the chocolate-box girls and feminine-looking youths aren't much to my taste. The Morris is the book Ursula Le Guin mentioned so enticingly in "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie" in the 1970s. It was out of print then, and she said you'd have to look for it in second-hand stores in the children's or occult sections. Hyperion reprinted it around 1982 in a smaller-size hardcover, and now Wildside, I believe, has it in paperback.

I amassed a substantial book collection of historical fiction last summer in Scotland, and I plan to get to them later as I complete the different series that I own. I have several books by Simon Scarrow. Roman historical novels, as well as Egyptian, are the ones I like the most. However, I always seem to find book #2 and never the beginning of the series, so I am going to have to buy the first books of all that I own and fill in the gaps through amazon or some other bookseller.

If you are interested in Jack Vance his estate is currently being sold via Ebay. They will stamp the books Vance Estate or provide a stamped/numbered certificate. I recently bought a hardcover 1st of Big Planet(Avalon Pub.) from them.
I received Amberzine #10 in the mail, only three left to acquire.

As I have been absent from these forums for some time now here's a representative second-hand haul of 'non-fiction' I've purchased over the past few months. I'll post a fiction haul later this week.

Admittedly this is not everyone's idea of a fun read but included are....

The Golden Thread - The Story of Writing *Ewan Clayton.
Passions of the Mind - A.S. Byatt various essays/musings.
20th Century Spanish American Fiction - Naomi Lindstrom *Excellent survey for anyone interested in the development of Latin American fiction.
Literary Criticism and Theory - From Plato to Post Colonialism Pelagiia Goulimari *Excellent survey for anyone interested in this topic.
Cambridge Intro to the American Short Story
Key concepts in Post Colonial Literature
*Palgrave Macmillan
Key concepts in Modernist Literature *Palgrave Macmillan
Cambridge Companion to Joseph Conrad
Cambridge Companion to the Victorian Novel
Cambridge Companion to Charles Dickens
Short Oxford History of English Literature

Cambridge History of Australian Literature
A Companion to the Gothic
Edited by David Punter *re-release
The Handbook to Gothic Literature Edited by Marie Mulberry Roberts
The British Short Story *analysis Palgrave Macmillan
Cambridge Companion to the Italian Novel
Cambridge Intro to Nathaniel Hawthorne
Angela Carter and the Fairy Tale
Angela Carter
*analysis Palgrave Macmillan

GOLLUM, what a lot of Cambridges and Oxfords you have there, a very academic haul! :)

Ordered two Wodehouse short story collections:
Nothing Serious
Eggs, Beans And Crumpets