Book Hauls!

Not exactly a book haul but... I was in the far reaches of our attic yesterday

So good to hear of a latter-day attic prowl. What a many imaginative reveries have been based on thoughts of what one might one day find up in such a place. but where are they now, the attics of yesterday? A glory has passed from the earth. Almost ...
walddorf-attic-library.jpg

Where in the world is this? Rarely has the horrible and glorious been so well --- trashed! Or heaped together I should say.

Last edited:
For Christmas I was given several volumes of Buffon's Natural History. Lovely leather bound books printed in London in 1792 (originally published in France between 1749-88.) Really significant in the development of Natural Sciences as a rational discipline, but not clearly not far out from the here be dragons school of thought, and preceding Origin of Species by about 100 years. Very nice illustrations, sections on Porcupine Man, Surprising Dwarfs, and Giants, amongst other things.

For Christmas I was given several volumes of Buffon's Natural History. Lovely leather bound books printed in London in 1792 (originally published in France between 1749-88.) Really significant in the development of Natural Sciences as a rational discipline, but not clearly not far out from the here be dragons school of thought, and preceding Origin of Species by about 100 years. Very nice illustrations, sections on Porcupine Man, Surprising Dwarfs, and Giants, amongst other things.

Illustrated?

Illustrated?
Yeah. Copperplate engravings. The frontispiece looks like this (photo from the web):
1920px-Frontispiece_to_Buffon%27s_Natural_history_Wellcome_L0049212.jpg

and other plates such as:

800px-Illustration_Wellcome_L0049211.jpg

As well as volume 1 of the 2 volume abridged natural history, I was given 4 volumes from the 30+ volume full edition. These are printed on a smaller format page, much more paperback size.

Inspired by my last expedition up there, I went in the attic again - and turned up another box of goodies. This one has got to be the last.

12 Astounding/Analog
11 Isaac Asimov's Magazine
37 Galaxys
31 F&SF
and (drum roll please...)
39 New Worlds magazines - including a bunch in the 30s which date back to 1955, and, for some reason, two copies of number 87.

and a handful of other magazines and 1960's Ace paperbacks including a non SF by Harlan Ellison called The Juvies

DSCN0026 by the_junk_monkey, on Flickr

Wowww.

I think I see an Astounding with the second of the two parts of Poul Anderson's We Have Fed Our Seas (The Enemy Stars), right? My favorite by him.

Last edited:
Inspired by my last expedition up there, I went in the attic again - and turned up another box of goodies. This one has got to be the last.

12 Astounding/Analog
37 Galaxys
31 F&SF
39 New Worlds magazines - including a bunch in the 30s which date back to 1955, and, for some reason, two copies of number 87.

and a handful of other magazines and 1960's Ace paperbacks including a non SF by Harlan Ellison called The Juvies

You must have one of the ten greatest attics in the world!

12 Astounding/Analog
37 Galaxys
31 F&SF

Wow! That Ellison is worth at least fifty bucks if it's in decent condition. Nice haul!

Actually, the lowest price I see anywhere, even in acceptable condition, is about $74-75, ranging all the way up to well into the thousands.

An interesting collection, by the way; by no means his best, though there are some very good pieces in there ("Memory of a Muted Trumpet" and "No Game for Children", for instance).

12 Astounding/Analog
37 Galaxys
31 F&SF

Lucky you!
A few days ago, I went to the attic to put some stuff away. In the far recess of it I spotted a bag full of books. I crawled among bits and pieces and grabbed it. They were 1960's sentimental novels, some in German, mainly in english, english self-teaching books belonging to my late mother in law.
I'm not really keen on romantic novels and wished she had been a SF fan instead! The covers are interesting, though.