Book Hauls!

@Gollum. A good catch there! I haven't read any of those, although the Herbert and the Hammett are on my to-read mountain.
I have bought another Yoga book. "Yoga Body" by Mark Singleton. It's said to be an academically rigorous study of the origins of modern asana systems.

Payday yesterday, which means books! Completed my set of Amber Benson'snovels, with Death's Daughter and Serpent's Storm.

Anyone else found that the olde - er, more mature they become, the fluffier the reading? Or is it just me reverting?...

:confused:

It isn't happening with me... yet. But then, I've got that long-term reading project I've been working on for a good while (and will be for at least a few more years), so that may rather throw things off....:p

Just a quick look, and... if you're not averse to buying them from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MX9F6K/?tag=brite-21

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRHVYO/?tag=brite-21

These look cool. Will grab if find. Saw another Whitman at Value Village today: SHUDDERS for $1.99 and may go back and get it. Just wondering tough, are the stories in Whitman complete? I ask because in the preface to 13 GHOSTLY YARNS there's a sentence that reads: "In a few instances there have been certain words, sentences, and occasionally paragraphs omitted from the original versions of these stories." Paragraphs:confused: Are collections for younger readers to be trusted?

I don't recall any alterations of that sort in the two volumes mentioned, save for the Washington Irving, which doesn't have anything in the story proper, but has a brief introductory passage taken from the overall framing story by Irving, given as context.

There are some differences between this version of Maupassant's "The Hand" and some others I've seen, but this seems to be the differences between translations, not any sort of censorship or abridgement.

As for the others... no, they're all exactly as I have read these tales in other anthologies or collections by these writers....

Just took a look at Shudders... this is the one with Burrage, Bloch, Long, Wakefield, Jacobi, etc., yes? If so, that also looks to be a fine selection....

Yes, it is, and what's really cool is I just found I have the paperback edition a few feet away from me on my overstuffed bookcase. Whoopy! :)

Today the Amazon faeries delivered:

Oriental Ghost Stories - Lafcadio Hearn
The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories - Wilkie Collins
Collected Ghost Stories - MR James
6 Easy Pieces: Fundamentals of Physics Explained - Richard Feynman
Among Thieves - Douglas Hulick

The ghost stories are for research purposes, the physics book is for self improvement and Among Thieves is something I've been meaning to read for a while.

Out of curiosity... what sort of research? Rather than take the thread off-line, you could send me the answer in a PM; or, if you think it is something which could begin discussion with others, by beginning a thread....

Just bought and sadly already finished:
A Beautiful Friendship placed in the Honor Harrington universe by David Weber
A Firm Foundation #5 in the Safehold series by David Weber
The Tears of the Sun #8 in the Emberverse Series. by S.M. Stirling

Loved them all.
Currently reading a variety of books from Steve White, most recently The Prometheus Project. So far it is at least entertaining. To Pyan's question about advancing age leading to fluffier reading, I would have to say yes but I think it is because I read much more news and current events these days and that is enough, heavy and depressing crap for me.

Slaughterhouse 5 Kurt Vonnegut
Spy Dog - 3 more books and 2 Spy Pups by Andrew Cope (it maybe a kids series but where else can you get skydiving puppies, a jail canteen scene and poisoned custard creams in the first three chapters ;) )
Dog on It (Chet and Bernie mysteries) by Spencer Quinn is on its way -- I am contemplating writing one of my books from a dog's POV and this one does just that and was recommended.

Bookmooch second hand hauls

The Book of the Damned (The Secret book of Paradys) by Tanith Lee
Soothsayer by Mike Resnick
Bright Orange for the Shroud by John D MacDonald

Good investments in future reading time hopefully

Got hold of Clive Barker's Books of Blood 1-3. There was a very positive review on goodreads.

I am much more reserved about the Books of Blood, but I do think they have an important place in the history of the genre and, along with some frankly silly and slipshod things in there, there are some which are true gems as well. For me, at least, Barker is often at his best when he brings a note of pathos as well as horror or terror to his work; the stories seem to be more complex, the writing cleaner and tighter (overall), and they simply seem more effective on both levels....

The Book of the Damned (The Secret book of Paradys) by Tanith Lee

I'd be interested in your take on this. I coincidentally just finished re-reading it. It could be called The Book of the Damned Weird. :) I was intending to re-read the second one and then finally read the 3rd and 4th but I just can't get into them now. Maybe later.