Favourite TV Shows

Discussion in 'General TV Discussion' started by Calis, Jun 18, 2005.

Calis

Calis Science fiction fantasy

What are some of your favourite TV Shows?

mine include -

The Simpsons - Classic, i dont care what others say and i will buy every boxset they release (already have the first 5)

Cheers - Very funny show, also have every season on boxset that has been releasedl. Anyone seen this show, ran in the 80s and early 90s, i didnt watch it when it was on TV, I was below 10 years of age then, but man it is great.

Seinfeld - Another classic, very funny. Shame it finished when it did. Also got box sets

Friends - Funny, although every 5 seconds was the laughing from the audience when half the stuff wasnt funny. Was getting long in the tooth, good time to finish. No DVDs.

Futurama - Why was this show cancelled? It was funny as, i cant believe FOX cancelled it. Stupid move.

The Pretender - Another great show that got cancelled. I couldnt believe it didnt rate well. I loved it and was always interesting.

Mister Ed. - Gotta love a talking horse, it was a very funny show and genuine humor that didnt relate to issues in society nor foul language.
    Foxbat

Foxbat I am a number

I loved Futurama and think it was a real shame that it was cancelled (I actually preferred it to the Simpsons).
    I recently discovered a TV series on DVD called Fall Of Eagles - drama of the highest quality set at the time of the Russian, German and Austro Hungarian Empires. The BBC at it's historical costume drama'd best.

Scrubs is an amusing little show with some quirky characters.

Blakes 7 the beeb just don't make them like this anymore.

And finally - the new Doctor Who has left me impressed by its quality and by the fact that Billie Piper not only can act but do a damn fine job to boot:)
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

I'm in to classic British (with a capital "B") sitcoms at the moment, since discovering the joys of UKTVGold:D

Blackadder, Fawltey Towers, Red Dwarf, Allo Allo, Yes Minister, Black Books.

All that kind of thing. I hate most american cartoon series with the exception of Futurama, which is pretty good.
    Alysheba

Alysheba New Member

I have so many. Of ones that are on now:

ER
    CSI
    Charmed
    Lost
    Grey's Annatomy
    Desperate Housewives
    Will And Grace
    Joey
    South Park

Ones that are no longer around:

Angel
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Dark Angel
    Quantum Leap
    Star Trek TNG
    The Young Riders
    Friends
    Night Court
    The Magnificent Seven
    Prey
    Dead Like Me
    Medical Investigation
    zorcarepublic

zorcarepublic Seeker of wisdom

QI
    8 out of 10 Cats
    Mock the Week
    Dead Ringers
    Time Commanders (historical battles using the 'Rome Total War' system)
    Babylon 5
    CSI (only the Las Vegas one--primarily because the 'main' character in Miami doesn't really make me feel he is a CSI)
    Many more at this point, but I can't remember them...
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Does this mean you actually think the newer episodes (I'm talking season nine on) are good and/or funny? I've got the first five seasons on DVD, but plan on stopping at season eight or so. It's gone so far downhill since then. The newest episodes, when I bother to watch them, fail to make me even smile, and are often offensive. Whereas I can watch a series three or four ep, that I've seen easily twenty or thirty times, and not stop laughing (indeed, laugh before the joke's even come, though I know it's coming). I just wish they'd put a bullet in The Simpsons, let it die with what little dignity it has left. And now they're making a movie...

Sorry. I have strong feelings on the topic... Other shows I love -

Scrubs, though it rarely makes it on TV here, am eagerly awaiting the DVD release.
    Lost. Am hooked.
    Futurama. Enough said.
    Seinfeld.
    Frasier.
    Mythbusters. Essential science-geek veiwing.

That's all I can think of at present. A show I am really keen to check out is Deadwood, but it's only on pay TV here, which I don't have. Anyone seen this, and if so, what's it like?
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Shows currently hooked on (meaning I try not to miss a new episode):

CSI (the original; I haven't been able to warm up to Miami or New York)
    Lost
    The West Wing (but I'm kind of leery about what the new season will bring)
    NCIS

Shows I like, but it isn't the end of the world if I miss an episode:

Las Vegas
    Medium
    Law and Order (SVU only)
    House (the only medical show I've ever been able to watch without having serious anxiety issues)
    Numbers

Old Favorites (or, dearly departed TV:) ):

X-Files
    Star Trek (TOS and TNG; never got into the others)
    John Doe (I'm still ticked off that they did a cliffhanger and then cancelled it)
    Rocky and Bullwinkle
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
    Sports Night (from Aaron Sorkin, who also created The West Wing)
    Midnight Caller
    Winters_Sorrow

Winters_Sorrow Unreg. Mutant Moderator Staff Member

Anyone remember Beauty & the Beast?
    I really enjoyed that show.

As for other favourites:
    Red Dwarf
    Bablyon 5
    Star Trek (pretty much all of them, even the absolute pants Enterprise :rolleyes: )
    Ultraviolet - shortlived UK TV series about modern day "vampire hunters" in London
    Spaced

I enjoyed some of the ones already mentioned (Blackadder, Futurama etc but I didn't mind missing an episode here & there)

All these are old tv shows. I haven't found a new one for over a year that I've liked enough to mark on the Calendar since then.
    I watched the first series of 24 pretty faithfully but when his wife had a car accident and got amnesia of all things, I switched off in protest of the lamest of all lame 'gags' and haven't watched it or the new series since. Bah to them all! :(
    Calis

then get over it and dont watch.

Frasier doesnt make me laugh at all, so you know what i do, i dont bag it i dont watch it.

simple.
    NSMike

NSMike Tsurani Great One

The Simpsons are actually long overdue for a movie. I think the show has evolved from trying to be funny as a whole to a more Family-Guy-Esque type of humor, where the funny stuff is in the numerous situational one-liners throughout the show. Family Guy has asides that end up making it funny moreso than the usual overall plot.

Anyway, my favorite shows.

I loved Star Trek TNG - Just about the only TV show I've ever watched faithfully up until the end.

I've only recently come to appreciate ST: DS9, as I had lapsed in my viewings of the show as many Trekkers did pretty early on. I started up again in the sixth season or so, and loved the war storyline, and now I'm going back to the early years and discovering that those first episodes really weren't too bad either.

ST: TOS is fantastic, despite the corny acting and occasionally repetative storylines.

Seinfeld is up there, though I'm sure there are tons I've not yet seen (I only recently saw the backwards show for the first time)

Family Guy has those fantastically funny asides I mentioned before, and they're the only reason I like the show.

I think that's all. Most of these shows I don't follow regularly, except TNG back when it was on (I'm one season away from having the whole series on DVD, and I'm working on getting the whole franchise on DVD).

Otherwise, TV Shows just aren't that important to me.
    kaneda

kaneda Did you not know?

I don't watch many programmes on a regular basis. The ones that i have are:

ER (Good to see another ER fan Alysheba!)
    South park
    Family Guy
    CSI (Original)
    and maybe a few others (that i cant think of at the moment:confused: )

zorcarepublic - 8 out of 10 cats is great isn't it! Last week's was funny, one of the girls came out with "britains favourite smell - freshly born rabbits" WTF!:D cracked me up though.

Callis - since when has cheers been out on boxset?????????????????? (I am now suffering from the dreaded 'needits' :D )
    Calis

over a year atleast, maybe even pushing 2 years (in Australia)
    It is upto Season 5 in the USA.

I suggest you go out and see if you can get it (or from ebay/amazon). Very good.
    Alysheba

Alysheba New Member

I watched it from the beginning. Though it's tapered off a bit I still watch. ;)
    dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

My Current Must See Shows:
    House
    Lost
    Jeopardy

Will watch when time allows and I don't have a good book:
    Extreme Makeover, Home Edition
    Clean Sweep/Trading Spaces/Changing Rooms
    CSI (original, can't watch anything with a main character named Horatio who does not have a nickname)
    Las Vegas

Wish they were still around: (some of these are golden oldies and some you may not even recognize):
    Highlander
    Bewitched
    Buck Rogers
    M.A.S.H.
    Due South
    Voyagers
    Stingray
    Grizzly Adams
    The Young Ones
    Emergency!
    Adam 12
    Early Edition
    Forever Knight
    The Addams Family
    Joan of Arcadia
    Kung Fu
    Witchblade
    The Adventures of Robin Hood
    Birds of Prey
    Firefly

Can you tell I used to watch a lot more television than I do now?
    Winters_Sorrow

Winters_Sorrow Unreg. Mutant Moderator Staff Member

Damn!
    Forgot to include Firefly!
    That series was class :(
    Alysheba

Alysheba New Member

How could I forget "Highlander"? I loved that show!
    Lacedaemonian

Lacedaemonian A Plume of Smoke

The OC
    Jack and Bobby
    The Sopranos
    Six Feet Under
    The A Team
    ER
    Streethawk
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Heaven forbid someone expresses an opinion on this site!

I don't watch it - that's the point I was making. I was just seeing if anyone else felt the same way I do. I haven't come across anyone in probably the last three or four years that has actually liked the new episodes is all. The opinion I've run into across the board has been that the new episodes are insulting to the golden years of The Simpsons, when the writing and direction was intelligent and thoughtful and damn funny, and Homer wasn't homicidally moronic. But, each to his own.
    dwndrgn

dwndrgn Fierce Vowelless One Staff Member

I never liked the Simpsons. I liked his comic strip, but the Simpsons has never made me laugh.
    The Master™

The Master™ Science fiction fantasy

It can waste a half hour sometimes while waiting for something better... ;)

And you don't even need to insert your brain... :D