Who is the best Historical Fiction author?

It can be and maybe foucault's pendulum (by Eco, might be a bit like that), but the name of the rose? Oh my, little did I know about Eco before I had devoured that book.:)

I do have problems with Eco. He is - without doubt - a brilliant writer, but his sheer mastery of prose can get in the way of the story at times. And it seems progressive. His first book, The Name of the Rose, is also his best and that self-indulgent tendency he has was hardly noticable. It was more obvious in Foucault's Pendulum, though the other 90% of the book is so fantastic that it is easily overlooked. I'm not sure I can say that about his other books. I try them all, get swept away by the brilliance, then end up thinking "where the hell is he going?" However, this might be just me. I would urge everybody to try him, but read his books in the order they were written, starting with The Name of the Rose.

Saylor's website has the most amazing list of historical fiction books about Rome and the ancient world if you're looking for ideas about what to read next in that era. I'm new so I can't provide a link, but if you Google "Steven's Bookshop/USA Novels" it will pop right up. If a book looks interesting, click on it and you'll be taken to Amazon.com for a more detailed description.

Maybe you'd like my The Falconer's Knot (described by Bloomsbury as The Name of the Rose for teenagers?

It's set in Umbria in 1316 and has a strong detective element (i.e. there are murders) but plus romance, monasticim and fresco=painting so don't go there if it's just historical crime you like.

Mary

OMG Mary thanks for the pointer to that marvelous website. There's more there than I'll ever be able to read, but I'll certainly enjoy trying :D.

Definitely worth bookmarking. I think Wallace Breem deserves a place on the list though.

OMG Mary thanks for the pointer to that marvelous website. There's more there than I'll ever be able to read, but I'll certainly enjoy trying :D.

I second its a great site! Easiest choice for bookmark ever :D

Now i can found out thing i have been looking in HF. Books about Attila,Hannibal etc

Dumas, Scott (a tad slow), Manfredi,
I actually like Conn Iggulden's(?) Emporer series.
A lesser Known Historical novelist Sir Aurther Conan Doyle; The White Company, and Sir Nigel are two of my favourite Black Prince/Medievel novels Worth checking out.
Also loved Wilbur Smiths African Novels, both Courtney and ballantyne series and finally Sebastian faulks - Birdsong and Charlotte Gray about WWI an II respectively.

found another author thats quite a fun read, historical fiction without too in depth a history...John Wilcox horns of the buffalo, set at the time of the zulu wars and the forst book features roukes drift...good fun to read.