More Doctor Who Nonesense

wibbly wobbly time wimey, etc. etc.

Hes supposed to be leaving after his second series, not impressed that Matt Smith is rumoured to be the next. Once was a novelty but this just feels like they are running out of ideas. What next ? Digital incarnations with William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee?.

If it is true and not an April fool they forgot to take down. Why not take a break for a couple of years.
I can name a few I'd like to see as the doctor, Rowan Atkinson, Miranda Hart, Idris Elba ( we are allowed to dream), the list is endless.

But the article is dated April 1, so if it is a prank then not a day late.
I only saw it today, I didn't notice an actual date on it. My Google on my phone has been acting weird the last couple of days. Normally I get a new icon when there's a special mention for someone famous. Last one was the photographer Abbas Atar. It's still showing his icon 3 days later...
IMG_20240402_215608.jpg

Bringing back old Doctors seems... cheap, somehow. Perhaps lazy is a better word. Desperate?

Just regenerate Tom Baker. Everyone knows he was THE doctor ...

Although it did help that his stories were written by the likes of Douglas Adams, Terrance Dicks, Terry Nation and Robert Holmes. It also helped that he had the role for 7 years and over 170 episodes, which helped to cement him in the mind of viewers as the Doctor.

Having said that, the writers and actors were playing to a different audience. I don't think that children of that era were like children today. Nowadays they seem to have to grow up far more quickly, and be much more 'world-wise'. Back then our view of current affairs were newspapers (which we didn't read, apart from maybe the comic strip) and the News at Six (which we didn't watch). Okay, so there was 'John Craven's Newsround', but that doesn't compare to the interconnected world-wide-web and social media applications.

Back then we knew that Daleks, Cybermen and Silurians probably weren't real - but who knew for sure? We didn't have Wikipedia to check. Also because there were far fewer distractions (ie mobile phones) and because we only had 3 channels and no repeats, it required concentrated viewing, so that when everyone was talking about it at school next day, we wouldn't miss out.

I didn't watch Who after Tom Baker left. The doctors that came after just didn't do it for me. Plus I was a bit older, at that age where 'kids stuff' didn't appeal. So I never watched any of it, till much much later when Joe (?) McGann, then Christopher Eccleston, brought it back from the dead.
But even then, with David Tennant, I didn't want to watch it. So I never saw any of his episodes, or Matt Smith, or Capaldi, till later still, when I decided to binge watch it all starting from Eccleston. I had a LOT of catching up to do. And now I feel that Tenant was THE doctor

1972 The Three Doctors
1983 The Five Doctors
1985 The Two Doctors
1993 Dimensions In Time
2013 The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

Bringing back old Doctors has been going on for over half a century now
Appreciated. I suspect that it has more to do with trying to get fans back by bringing popular Doctors.

I felt that Star Wars did a similar thing. Their show's were not going well and they thought that shows like Obi-Wan and The Book of Boba Fett would appeal to fans and reignite our passions again. Perhaps i'm just being cynical. :)

I was never interested in Doctor Who but I remember seeing some of the Baker ones. He was like a quirky Rathbone Sherlock Holmes and I can see why he became popular compared to the grandfatherly versions.
It seems to me though that an alien shapeshifter savior of Earth is not going to have much boundaries in terms of identity so it isn't surprising that he (or she or it) would end up so "fluid."

I was never interested in Doctor Who but I remember seeing some of the Baker ones. He was like a quirky Rathbone Sherlock Holmes and I can see why he became popular compared to the grandfatherly versions.
It seems to me though that an alien shapeshifter savior of Earth is not going to have much boundaries in terms of identity so it isn't surprising that he (or she or it) would end up so "fluid."
He was a very good Holmes himself iirc.

I think of Dr Who as a friendly old pet dog when his best days are far behind him. Once upon a time, he was loved dearly by all, but now it’s all he can do to stop piddling on the rug as the years catch up with him.

Sadly, it’s time to take Old Shep round the back of the barn and put him out of his misery - courtesy of the double barrelled doctor.