(Found) Humans Fighting Wars for Aliens

Jubal_Harshaw

There are probably a hundred books and series in this genre, from Ranks of Bronze to Legacy of the Aldenata. I am trying to find a book or maybe series that I read probably 30 years ago.

This was different from Legacy because humans were NOT the ONLY species capable of fighting, simply the most capable by far. As I recall, the alien alliance that came calling and requesting Terran help had one other species that was doing the fighting for them. As I recall, that species was vaguely canine or lupine, but not sure on that detail.

For some reason, I am thinking that the protagonist was a sailor, but not sure of that. No, not Hunters of the Red Moon, but I may be remembering that detail from Hunters and conflating.

Ring any bells?

Is this the series where the main character is a human musician who doesn't believe that in violence who makes first contact with the alien delegation? At one point 3 "average" people are recruited to help fight and they come back great heroes of the cause. At another point the enemy the alien alliance is fighting invades the earth and they are roundly routed. The earth doesn't fit any of their expectations. On a "normal" world there is one land mass and one central power generating facility. Earth with its weird continents and bewildering number of power generating facilities and frustrating number of military forces using all kinds of different weapons and tactics spells the end of the war. At the very end the invading race decides it's better to surrender and bide their time than to face the humans straight up.

No, I don't remember the title but if this is the book, perhaps someone can use this to find it.

Is this the series where the main character is a human musician who doesn't believe that in violence who makes first contact with the alien delegation? At one point 3 "average" people are recruited to help fight and they come back great heroes of the cause. At another point the enemy the alien alliance is fighting invades the earth and they are roundly routed. The earth doesn't fit any of their expectations. On a "normal" world there is one land mass and one central power generating facility. Earth with its weird continents and bewildering number of power generating facilities and frustrating number of military forces using all kinds of different weapons and tactics spells the end of the war. At the very end the invading race decides it's better to surrender and bide their time than to face the humans straight up.

No, I don't remember the title but if this is the book, perhaps someone can use this to find it.
None of that sounds familiar, but it does sound interesting.

Maybe we now have two tasks for the group!

Alan Dean Foster also published "With Friends Like These." In the title story, Earth has been sequestered behind a 'shield,' which prevents them from leaving the planet (including our moon). They are sequestered because they were too good at fighting-- too good to allow to roam freely! And, now, their fighting skills are required, and a ship has been dispatched to release the humans...

The Damned series by Alan Dean Foster
IMG_7177.png

That is it. Thanks so much.

I REALLY wanted to find and re-read to see how much of it Ringo "borrowed" for the Aldenata series.

Last edited:
I have a first edition of this and The False Mirror which i bought from Forbidden Planet. I remember them being a pretty fun read, but i never saw the third book in the series.

ADF The False Mirror.jpg

The Damned series by Alan Dean Foster
I know Alan Dean Foster is a prolific writer, but according the the Amazon Kindle website, this is a long series even by his standards...

A Call to Arms: 1 (Damned Book 463) Kindle Edition​

by Alan Dean Foster (Author) Format: Kindle Edition