unpublishing a paperback that went live by mistake on KDP

PADDY

I filled in the ' create a paperback' form to order proofs for my manuscript to use for editing purposes. Fool that I am, I must have pressed the publication button by mistake, and to my horror, I received a notification that the book had gone live. I contacted KDP and managed to get it 'unpublished,' but it remains on the Amazon site, although marked 'unavailable.' I have asked if it could be removed completely, but so far, no response.
My query is this:
Must I now abandon the idea of ever getting it traditionally published? I am prepared to change the title and get a new ISBN but the metadata will remain the same. Any ideas?

That's a tricky one. Once it has an ISBN and some cover art has escaped into the world it will be quite difficult to remove. I've made so many mistakes like that one. I currently have a couple of pen names; one quite successful and one not so much. I'd like to leverage the success of the first to boost the second, but can't see any way of doing that. I wish I'd planned everything out properly at an earlier stage.

I filled in the ' create a paperback' form to order proofs for my manuscript to use for editing purposes. Fool that I am, I must have pressed the publication button by mistake, and to my horror, I received a notification that the book had gone live. I contacted KDP and managed to get it 'unpublished,' but it remains on the Amazon site, although marked 'unavailable.' I have asked if it could be removed completely, but so far, no response.
My query is this:
Must I now abandon the idea of ever getting it traditionally published? I am prepared to change the title and get a new ISBN but the metadata will remain the same. Any ideas?
If you change the name of the book who would even know?

I'd say you are pretty safe as it is.
Not much chance any copies were sold and got out into the wild.
As Jo says you can change the title.
I'd not worry about it.

Back