QR code help

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I've a Motorola android phone and I've been sent a photo of a QR code with a caption telling me to scan it with my camera - fair enough.
But how do I actually do that?
Online advice tells me to point my camera at it and scan , ridiculous unless I have two phones - one to show the code on and the other to camera scan that code

Is there a simple procedure that I need to follow to read this QR?
Thanks

If your phone has a QR App downloaded or some setting that came with the phone itself when you bought it, then you should be able to give it access to your photo library. Save the QR code photo to your phone and then find it in the library with the App.

As an alternative, you should also be able to do a screen capture, but I agree that it is bonkers to ask you to scan a code on your screen with the phone which has it on it's screen, and I can't understand the thinking behind them asking that. If it was in an email, then you could also bring up the QR code email on a PC, laptop or tablet and then scan that.

The whole idea of QR codes is a simple way to direct you to a webpage. They are great when you are outdoors or at a restaurant. In an email, surely it is far simpler to send a hyperlink. QR codes in emails seem pointless to me, only making something easier more complicated. If it's a WhatsApp message or a social media post then I expect that makes sense.

If your phone has a QR App downloaded or some setting that came with the phone itself when you bought it, then you should be able to give it access to your photo library. Save the QR code photo to your phone and then find it in the library with the App
Cheers, I'll download a QR app now and see what happens

Well, now you have a QR reader!!

As I said, they are useful when you are in a park or next to some historical building - and you can read about the species of tree or the history of the ruins - or useful in restaurants who (for some reason) can't afford to print their menus :unsure:

I think you get them on flatpack furniture and equipment too, with links to how to assemble them.

I think the idea is that a webpage can be kept up to date while a printed copy of something can be quickly obsolete. My experience with a lot of websites has shown that often isn't the case. Your also need to have a phone signal wherever you are, also not the case.

I don’t think you need a special reader any more. If you just open your camera function and point it at the code a link should appear below the code you can touch. But maybe that’s just iPhone.