Hdmi port problems with new TVs

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
Christmas day.

We got two of the lads smart TVs (to replace old TV plus set top boxes in their rooms)
Different models of smart TV.

So I set them up to our WiFi no problem and they flick through the channels, great.

Now my issue starts....I plug Xbox into the hdmi port on the TV and then go to "input source" --- no hdmi showing!
The TV has two HDMI ports so I plug into the second port, nothing.

I go to second smart TV and this time I don't attempt to connect an Xbox , I simply go to "input source" and see what's available.
There's VGA and suchlike showing but no hdmi ports, again this model has two but neither shows in the on screen display.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I find these sources in my on screen display?

I realise one port might be defective but I can't believe that four ports on two different model TVs would all be faulty

Last edited:
mite be an obscure input button on yer remote or u can try unplugging everything, hold power button for 10 sec. and try to restart and detect hdmi

Last edited:
Christmas day.

We got two of the lads smart TVs (to replace old TV plus set top boxes in their rooms)
Different models of smart TV.

So I set them up to our WiFi no problem and they flick through the channels, great.

Now my issue starts....I plug Xbox into the hdmi port on the TV and then go to "input source" --- no hdmi showing!
The TV has two HDMI ports so I plug into the second port, nothing.

I go to second smart TV and this time I don't attempt to connect an Xbox , I simply go to "input source" and see what's available.
There's VGA and suchlike showing but no hdmi ports, again this model has two but neither shows in the on screen display.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I find these sources in my on screen display?

I realise one port might be defective but I can't believe that four ports on two different model TVs would all be faulty
Probably a very long shot, but on some tv's connecting a HDMI game/etc while the tv is turned on will cause the tv to switch to the HDMI source. If it does that you might than see it on the "inputs" list. As I said, a long shot but what the hey worth a try.

It may have something to do with the recently upgraded HDMI version on your new TV. The new version has something similar as DRM on e-books, only in this case build in into the connector. In the worse case you may need to buy a new XBOX with upgraded HDMI to have your devices communicate.
Likely you also need a new HDMI-cable.
I had thought to upgrade part of my audio/video-system recently, but ended up replacing the whole set, including cables. All thanks to an upgraded HDMI-standard. No backward-compatibility. (Customers are Evil People who might try to play illegal copies! It also is good for turnover-figures in the difficult times.)

In the worse case you may need to buy a new XBOX with upgraded HDMI to have your devices communicate
The trouble is there is no hdmi input/source showing on my TVs....I tried with the Xbox and then with the old set top boxes also but there isn't even like an icon that shows for HDMI in my display - despite both telly's having 2 hdmi ports - it's frustrating because all the other standard input sources show up on screen, with nothing plugged into them

Is there an option for adjusting settings for HDMI ports on your TV?

You would expect something as popular as an XBOX to be immediately recognised by any smart TV, so it sounds as though something is wrong.

Have you tried the same lead plugged into the same HDMI port on your telly in a different device such as a DVD or Blu Ray player? If that works, I would maybe try checking the output settings on your XBOX.

I found this too:
  • Make sure your TV supports HDCP 2.2 and that it's turned on in your TV's settings.
Yep, that (HDCP 2.2) is what I meant with the upgraded HDMI version. His new TV probably supports it, his old XBox almost certainly not.
The HDMI input-source on his TV might only show up when it is actually connected to a HDMI device with the same HDCP 2.2 standard. In my case: I had a new receiver connected with my old TV but the receiver kept reporting their was no TV hooked up.

On my smart TV the HDMI ports only show when there's an active device connected to the port. If the device is powered off then the port doesn't show.

On my smart TV the HDMI ports only show when there's an active device connected to the port. If the device is powered off then the port doesn't show.
I tried both telly's with and without different devices and using different hdmi ports - no joy at the time.
Gonna try again later today, so I'll post back how I get on.

The problem with modern TVs is that the makers are that focused on making them future proof that they forget to make them 'present' proof. So virtually no TV has come with SCART now for quite some time, meaning that all much of the equipment we currently have becomes obsolete (or at least much more difficult to use easily).

Same with HDMI; 'upgraded' it so that the early buyers of new technology have access, but hindering existing customers who neither want nor need the upgrade.

I tried both telly's with and without different devices and using different hdmi ports - no joy at the time.
Gonna try again later today, so I'll post back how I get on.
I’d suggest googling the specific makes of TV with something like: ‘(tv brand) hdmi problems‘ or ‘(tv brand) xbox hdmi problems’ and see what happens.

I bought an LG last year and couldn’t get the red button to work (yes, I still use the red button for quick news snippets). It turned out that LG no longer support this function.

I found an option called "source settings" and that showed them all in a row with the choice to enable or disable .
There were sources like VGA and others, amongst them were HDMI1 and HDMI2 so of course I enabled them.

Back to front screen and still nothing - the other sources all show but no HDMI , getting annoyed now and I had to restrain myself from smashing up these brand new telly's!

Doesn't your manual contain some section or remark on the use of HDMI and/or the required HDCP version?

If the xbox won't work on two different brands of tv.... could it be the xbox itself or the cable being used? Which xbox have you got? Obviously need to make sure the hdmi is in the right port on your xbox and xbox set for hdmi output.

Some devices (consoles/camcorders etc) have more than one hdmi output, but not all are designed to go to TVs.