What Are Cinemas Greatest Adventure Movies ?

I still enjoy much of the Ray Harryhausen stuff - Sinbad, Mysterious Island, Clash of The Titans etc.
Others I like include The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and The Adventures Of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone.
Talking of Rathbone, I really like his Sherlock Holmes movies.

More modern movies like LOTR also make the mark but I have a serious nostalgia problem that makes me look towards older movies:)

She 1935 Produced by Miriam Cooper with Helen Gahagen in the role of Ayesha . The production and look of this film is stunning and a grand adventure She 1965 with Ursula Andress in the role is equally good . Both rousing adventures

Gunga Din 1939 With Cary Grant , Douglas Fairbanks Jr and Sam Jaffe One the greats.
King Solomons Mines 1937 and 1950 version.
Secures of the Incas 1954

There are so many, I don't know if I could pick one as the "greatest".

One I particularly enjoed was March or Die (1977) starring Gene Hackman, Terence Hill and Catherine Deneuve.

That’s a tough one, so I’ve listed a few I can watch again and again and again!

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
Mountains of the Moon (1990)
Shout at the Devil (1976)
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
Journey to the Centre of the Earth (1959)
The Princess Bride (1987)

Indiana Jones Last Crusade. Perfect blend of action, comedy and adventure, and jam packed with memorable one-liners. And a sparkling chemistry between two A list actors on the top of their game. It's hard to think of a better adventure movie than this.

Another list of a few I can watch again and again.

Captain Blood (1935, Errol Flynn)
The African Queen (1951, Bogart/Hepburn)
North-West Frontier (1959, Kenneth More)
Star Wars (1977, original release, Harrison Ford)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981, Harrison Ford)
The Mummy (1999,Brendan Fraser)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003, Johnny Depp)
Stardust (2007, Robert de Niro)

Top pick? The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, Errol Flynn)

Mention of Northwest Frontier reminded me of Northwest Passage with Spencer Tracy leading Roger’s Rangers across Canada. I first saw this movie as a nipper and, as an adult, I was chuffed to bits when I got a copy on DVD.

Does The Enemy Below meet the criteria? Superb movie even if it doesn’t. Both Mitchum and Jurgens are superb.

Mention of Northwest Frontier reminded me of Northwest Passage with Spencer Tracy leading Roger’s Rangers across Canada. I first saw this movie as a nipper and, as an adult, I was chuffed to bits when I got a copy on DVD.
Ive never seen that one but if Spencer Tracy is in it . it must be very good .:unsure::)

Does The Enemy Below meet the criteria? Superb movie even if it doesn’t. Both Mitchum and Jurgens are superb.
Absolutely ! Ive seen this film many time, I own it on dvd, This is try; great film and a very exciting film ! :cool: It was also the inspiration for the classic Star Trek episode Balance of Terror .

The Man Who Would be King 1975 I think this one qualifies.:)

The Thief of Bagdad. 1944
Master of the World 1961
The Island At the Top of the World 1974

I still enjoy much of the Ray Harryhausen stuff - Sinbad, Mysterious Island, Clash of The Titans etc.
Others I like include The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre and The Adventures Of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone.
Talking of Rathbone, I really like his Sherlock Holmes movies.

More modern movies like LOTR also make the mark but I have a serious nostalgia problem that makes me look towards older movies:)

Basil Rathbone was a marvellous Sherlock, because you could see him putting his heart and soul into the role. The earlier of his movies came at a time when Britain wasn't doing so well in WWII, and Sherlock Holmes defeating Nazis was a real morale booster. The star of the show though was the rather unfairly dim-witted protrayl of Watson by Nigel Bruce; hilarious at times when he was talking to an owl or questioning a suspect ( and having the tables turned on him).

Basil Rathbone was a marvellous Sherlock, because you could see him putting his heart and soul into the role. The earlier of his movies came at a time when Britain wasn't doing so well in WWII, and Sherlock Holmes defeating Nazis was a real morale booster. The star of the show though was the rather unfairly dim-witted protrayl of Watson by Nigel Bruce; hilarious at times when he was talking to an owl or questioning a suspect ( and having the tables turned on him).

He was a marvelous Sherlock Homes and those movies are classics. :cool:

Arthur Conan Doyle would have probably liked Basil Rathbone and those films .:)

Five Weeks in a Balloon 1962 Has a great cast and its great adventure
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules 1962 It's a wonderful send up of the whole sword and sandals genre but an also pretty good adventure yarn too. :)

She both the 1935 version an the the 1965 versio.

Back