Just a bit of fun ... is there a thread posting bizarre Amazon reviews of our work? (I'll start :))

FibonacciEddie

Supporter
Hi guys!

I've been away from this forum for ages but thought I'd share this

For the avoidance of any confusion, I am somewhat disappointed with this review ... I worked really hard on my book but I'm not upset in any way as ... well that's life (holding a grudge against someone is like drinking poison and hoping the other guy will get ill)

Anyway ... I self-published my 'new' SciFi novel in Feb 2023 ... and it has been selling 1 or 2 or 3 copies per day ever since (predominantly all in the UK, and about 50:50 between eBook sales and KENP, Kindle Unlimited).

A few days ago ... I got this review!

Absolute silly nonsense. 4 stars!
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 22 October 2023

Verified Purchase

A great bit of colour by numbers sci fi with tons of plot armour, script expedience and exposition. Utterly implausible motivations and absolutely nonsensical series of plot pivots.

Other than that it's just the usual tale of an ordinary downtrodden uni girl who invents the best AI in Galaxy, with whom she falls in platonic love, promptly gets kidnapped by MS Access hating aliens, becomes goddess-empress of galaxy, defeats awful life hating machine intelligence despite the help of the useless data ignoring (also machine based) aliens who are suspiciously keen to get biological life of all the planets. Because.

Glorious drivel. Loved it

we pour our heart and soul into our craft/calling/art and get this type of motivation
lol
x

Hi guys!

I've been away from this forum for ages but thought I'd share this

For the avoidance of any confusion, I am somewhat disappointed with this review ... I worked really hard on my book but I'm not upset in any way as ... well that's life (holding a grudge against someone is like drinking poison and hoping the other guy will get ill)

Anyway ... I self-published my 'new' SciFi novel in Feb 2023 ... and it has been selling 1 or 2 or 3 copies per day ever since (predominantly all in the UK, and about 50:50 between eBook sales and KENP, Kindle Unlimited).

A few days ago ... I got this review!

Absolute silly nonsense. 4 stars!
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 22 October 2023

Verified Purchase

A great bit of colour by numbers sci fi with tons of plot armour, script expedience and exposition. Utterly implausible motivations and absolutely nonsensical series of plot pivots.

Other than that it's just the usual tale of an ordinary downtrodden uni girl who invents the best AI in Galaxy, with whom she falls in platonic love, promptly gets kidnapped by MS Access hating aliens, becomes goddess-empress of galaxy, defeats awful life hating machine intelligence despite the help of the useless data ignoring (also machine based) aliens who are suspiciously keen to get biological life of all the planets. Because.

we pour our heart and soul into our craft/calling/art and get this type of motivation
lol
x
Guessing your reaction to that was a resounding "Thanks.... I think?"

Legit, make a new cover and put that on there as a pull quote from like, Perry Trachett or Scohn Jalzi!

I had a beta reader end their feedback notes with, "I've bought a lot of books worse than this."

Real, complement full of knuckles, stuff.

My favorite/least favorite, was this:
It's a book.

That's it. I looked around and discovered that person had posted the exact same review at a couple dozen books, all on the same day. I complained, and the review is gone now.

But it was a bit unnerving. Especially with getting five stars!

This is my favourite of mine. It’s my only one star review on this one (my only less than three) out of hundreds …. This novel is as far from a Norther Irish ‘troubles’ narrative than you can get. Makes me snigger every time

Here's some thoughts on reviews...