Sci-fi recommendations for a fantasy fan?

Berlyn

Apart from the occasional mystery novel, I almost exclusively read fantasy. But I've been wanting to dip my toes into more science fiction to see if it's something I would enjoy as well. The only things I have read that slightly delve into the realm of science fiction is the Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson and the first couple of books in The Murderbot Diaries series by Martha Wells. I was wondering if the community had any recommendations for science fiction books or series to try out for someone mostly new to the genre?

Ringworld by Larry Niven
Berserker by Fred Saberhagen
Sundiver by David Brin
StarTide Rising by David Brian
The Uplift War by David Brin
The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison
The Deathworld Trilogy by Harry Harrison
The Rediscovery of Man by Cordwainer Smith
Norstrilla by Cordwainer Smith
Time Storm by Gordon R Dickson
Dorsai by Gordon R Dickson
Childhoods End by Arthur C Clark
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clark
Damnation Alley by Rodger Zelazny
John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Ranks of Bronze by David Drake
Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
Hammers Slammer by David Drake
Retief Diplomat At Large by Keith Laumer
Tales From the Dying Earth by Jack Vance
The demons Prince Space Saga by Jack Vance
Bolo by Keith Kaumer
Jack Faust by Michael Swaswick
The Reefs of Earth by R A Lafferty
Past Master by R A Lafferty
The Humanoids by Jack Williamson
Darker than You Think by Jack Williamson
Nonstop By Brain Aldiss
The High Crusade by Poul Anderson
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Donavan's Brain by Curt Siodmak
Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein
The Puppet Masters by. Robert A Heinlien
Between the Strokes of Midnight by Charles Sheffield
The Killing Star by Charles Pelligrins and George Zebrowski
Waystation by Alford Simak
Kelly Country by A Bertam Chandler
The John Grimes Space Saga by A Beetram Chandler
Dune by Frank Herbert
A Fire Upton the Deep by Verner Vine
Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson
More then Human by Theodore Sturgeon
The Dreaming Jewels by Theodore Sturgeon
Strange Wine by Harlan Ellison
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Given you like fantasy, looking at some of the fantasy authors who also write great sci fi might be worth doing.

Lois McMaster Bujold is worth a look at, for sure.

Also dare I say it, as he has alienated fandom, Orson Scott Card writes both well.

Jim Butcher’s steam punk is possible too.

Also some stuff that crosses genres like Jodi Taylor’s St Mary’s and Time Police stories are fun.

I also love Emily St John Mandel whose sf is very accessible

Apart from the occasional mystery novel, I almost exclusively read fantasy. But I've been wanting to dip my toes into more science fiction to see if it's something I would enjoy as well. The only things I have read that slightly delve into the realm of science fiction is the Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson and the first couple of books in The Murderbot Diaries series by Martha Wells. I was wondering if the community had any recommendations for science fiction books or series to try out for someone mostly new to the genre?

What do you like in fantasy? There's a lot of sci-fi, some more like and some less like... but there's a lot of fantasy too!

What do you like in fantasy? There's a lot of sci-fi, some more like and some less like... but there's a lot of fantasy too!

Some of my favourite are the Cosmere novels by Brandon Sanderson and the Riyria novels by Michael J. Sullivan. I also really enjoyed reading some of The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher and I have read everything in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronvitch. I grew up reading Harry Potter and The Legend of Drizzt.

Adrian Tchaikovsky has a few short stories that straddle both genres, to a certain degree. The Expert Systems Brother, it's sequel The Expert Systems Champion and Eldar Race are great examples of a solid SF story set within a fantasy style setting. They were all very enjoyable. Ogres was my favourite of his short stories.

Dune by Frank Herbert is an excellent novel that is worth a read as a fantasy fan.

Weaveworld by Clive Barker, although more horror, shares many fantasy elements.

I'd recommend Iain M. Banks's Culture book. Beautifully written with dark edges, this loose space opera series is absolutely superb. Banks had a wonderful sense of humour that comes across in his books. I'd suggest that The Player of Games, Look To Windward and Excession are possibly the easiest for a beginner, but there is no harm in reading them in publishing order.

If you're okay to try a little military SF, try the Gaunts Ghost series by Dan Abnett. Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, this are a roller coaster of a series. Don't let the Warehammer link put you off. Dan writes incredible character and loves to kill them off and his battles are some of the best committed to ink and paper. Truly outstanding stuff.

I would like to double down on Dune by Frank Herbert. I think someone who loves the kinds of mental, spiritual, and physical tensions that often are present in Fantasy would love the world building in this and at least the first two sequels.

Some of my favourite are the Cosmere novels by Brandon Sanderson and the Riyria novels by Michael J. Sullivan. I also really enjoyed reading some of The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher and I have read everything in the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronvitch. I grew up reading Harry Potter and The Legend of Drizzt.

Gotcha.

I'll definitely second the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold rec - scrappy protagonist with brilliant plans for most of them - and Gaunt's Ghosts - action galore.

Thanks for all the great recommendations everyone, I'll definitely read through a few blurbs and add some to my TBR pile.

some more items of interest

All Judgement Fled by James White and checke out his Sector General novels

Daybreak 2250 AD by Andre Norton
The Crossroads of Time By Andre Norton
Witch World By Andre Norton Its the Strat of a terrific series

Mythago Woods by Robert Holdstock The first book in hi Rhyme Woods series
The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers one the best fans time Travel novels ever written
Time and Again by Jack Finney another great calls science fiction Time Travel novel
Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague De Camp. Mild manner 20th century Historian , Martin Padway while traveling through Rome get hit by a bold of lightning and find himself sent back in 6th Century Rome . A This too is classic nd it hilariously funny book. :D

Earth Abides by George R Stewart by far one of the greatest and most beautifully written end of Civilization novel ever written
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter Miller Jr also a great apocalyptic novel
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank horrible mention

Custer At the Alamo by Gregory Urbach alt history . in this book General Custer and his ben instead of dying at Little Bighorn in 1875 get sent back to the year 1836 and the Alamo to face off against General Santa Anna .

Morlock Night by K W Jeter A sequel to the Time Machine by H G Wells in this tory . The Moorlocks get ahold of the The machine and Turn all of human history in their feeding ground . There will be convinces to the timeline

The Mines of Behemoth by Michael Shea

1. Map of Time
2.Map of The Sky
3. Map of Chaos
all written by Felix Palma

Tales from the Flat Earth by Tanith Lee
1. Nights Mater
2. Deaths taste
3. Delusions Master

Red As Blood. Or Tales From the Sister Grimme
r by Tanith Lee
If you can find I very high recommend Tanith Lee's story The Sombrus Tower

Last edited:
Battle Royale by Takami koushun
Armor by john steakely
Sandkings by George R.R. Martin
Replay by Ken Grimwood
Honor Harrington series by David Weber

If you like The Dresden Files, check out Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Similar urban fantasy with some sci-fi-ish elements. (ish -- def more on the urban fantasy side).

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein (Genre defining work, exceptional)
We Are Legion (We are Bob), by Dennis Taylor (Light and fun)
The Quantum Magician, by Derek Kunsken (GREAT series)
Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir (great standalone)
Expeditionary Force, by Craig Alanson (MilSci-fi, fun, heavy dose of HFY)

All of those have great audio books -- and i'd go so far as to say We are Legion and Project Hail Mary are better as audiobooks than as written works because Ray Porter narrated both and he's incredible at performing the work.

Expeditionary Force (book 1 is Columbus Day, I believe) is also a great audiobook series. And when I say, great, I mean, that series is regularly atop Audible -- not MilSci Audible, not SF/F Audible, Audible.

If you like The Dresden Files, check out Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Similar urban fantasy with some sci-fi-ish elements. (ish -- def more on the urban fantasy side).

Oh yes, I actually read the first book in this series but I just completely forgot about it. I should jump back in again, I think it's a complete series now too.

Dune by Frank Herbert is an excellent novel that is worth a read as a fantasy fan.
I would like to double down on Dune by Frank Herbert.
I'd also recommend Dune and the first few sequels for someone who likes Fantasy. Also, Michael Moorcock, Ray Bradbury and J G Ballard though they may be a little old-fashioned.

OK , I’ll bite. Good book, but how is it genre-defining?
It's habitually a Top 10 book on Locus, and won both the Hugo and Nebula its year.

Narratively, it showed a conceivable future that readers could imagine. It showcased harsh, grounded societies (i.e.. NOT Niven or Asimov), with realpolitik mindsets (NOT Delaney or Clarke) and hard sci-fi realities (NOT Cordwainer, or honestly any other giant on this list), and did it without psychedelics (Lookin' at you, Philip K) or by lightly reskinning WW2 archetypes (Bradbury, Vonnegut). It reads more like Orwell's 1984 than it does anything Niven/Asimov/Delaney/Smith/etc. were putting out.

It's one of the earliest sci-fi books with a realistic, Bechdel-test-passing female character. Wyoh has a backstory beyond her relationship to a man (mom/wife/daughter), she has agency and she does more than incite the male protagonist to action. I'm not sure Asimov ever had one.

To my knowledge, it was also the first time anyone wrote about using a gravity well as a weapon, and that has since been used by a multitude of other series -- notably, the Expanse, quite recently.

Not putting down Niven, Asimov, Delaney, Dick, Clarke, Bradbury or Vonnegut--they're great! But Moon is a statement piece defining hard, grounded scifi for easily a generation of writers.

I'd put it up next to Neuromancer, Cryptomonicon, Hyperion, Foundation, 451, Scanner, etc. as a defining works in the field.

The Cloud Walker by Edmund Cooper.

Edmund Cooper The Cloud Walker.jpg

Actually, most of Cooper's work is excellent and most probably feature Fantasy elements that may make them a very easy read. My favourites were this, A Seahorse In The Sky, A Far Sunset, The Uncertain Midnight and Transit. I love the cover art, too. Mostly Chris Foss.