New Amazon rules on "AI-Generated" Content.

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
This is interesting, but I don't see how the Amazon rules will have any teeth. Surely authors or indeed publishers can just … fib if they don't want to declare that content is "AI-generated"? And do we really want to embrace "AI-assisted" content?

Meanwhile, this is alarming:

“The past year alone has seen a huge influx of poor-quality, rapidly generated titles in the KDP store alongside human-created works."

All things book selling seem to have been taking a worrying turn for the past 20 years or so, with author incomes plummeting throughout that time. At least 2010-15 provided some sort of self-pub/indie heyday for at least some authors, but that's no help to us now.

I guess it shows someone is actively managing the content. I’ve updated two of mine and will go in and do the rest soon - it’s buried on page two of the set up so a wee bit of work. There are rumours that until it’s done titles on kdp are effectively hidden so they may tie it to their algorithms too

Hi,

Oddly I just ran into this publishing my latest and had to declare if any of my content was AI generated. The cover was. I tried to declare it, but when I did the program glitched and it kept telling me that I had to mark that the writing was too, which it isn't. I just gave up on the whole affair. There's a statement on the inside that the cover was generated by Deep Dream anyway, and I don't sell cover art.

Cheers, Greg

I'm just finishing off a book at the moment. I used ChatGCP to bounce ideas off of, especially getting its feedback on whether the science made sense and held water. It was very useful for that.

I tried to get it to write a couple of short (2-3 paragraph) sections when I was having some writers block, just to see what it would come up with and see if it gave me something I could perhaps tweak and use. It was hopeless. Everything was hugely over-flowery, corny, and it seemed to want to end even a short section with some profound moral lesson.

More than that though, it just didn't feel like it came from me... It's not exactly that its suggestions didn't fit with what I wanted, it just felt like foreign substance in my writing, like finding a fly in your soup. It wasn't good. It's like when you've got a clear plot in your mind then a friend who you've given a brief synopsis to starts telling you how they think end of the book should go. It's just an unwanted extra cook in the kitchen.

Amazon ask me is my artwork AI generated? I say no. They go Okay.
I mean no it isn't AI generated but the question seems pointless.
Has anyone answered yes? If so what was the come back from Amazon?

Hi,

Yes, of course. I tell them my art - the cover art is AI generated - I think the option is the second on the drop-down list that comes up. (Note they inserted one little trap there for new players - the first option that appears on the drop-down list is has become "none" not whatever was there before, but if you weren't looking you wouldn't have noticed the text change and then you'll be left wondering how do you give them the right answer for the AI text bit. That left me scratching my head a lot and swearing at the machine the first time it appeared, and I think I had to leave the whole section blank because I couldn't figure out how to give them the right answer.) After that I think they, or it may be Deviant Art will ask what program you use and I tell them Deep Dream. And that's about it.

Cheers, Greg.

All things book selling seem to have been taking a worrying turn for the past 20 years or so, with author incomes plummeting throughout that time. At least 2010-15 provided some sort of self-pub/indie heyday for at least some authors, but that's no help to us now.
You can roll in the lack of literacy and the curriculum that enabled that.

As for AI, my views are clear; I don't like it, don't trust it and don't use it for anything, much less my writing.

Hi Oligonicella,

Just curious. Why so anti AI? I mean all hail our new AI overlords of course!!! Personally, I wouldn't use it for my writing as a writer. But I'm happy using it to generate cover images. After all I'm not an artist and I think it can do a great job.

Cheers, Greg.

Hi Oligonicella,

Just curious. Why so anti AI? I mean all hail our new AI overlords of course!!! Personally, I wouldn't use it for my writing as a writer. But I'm happy using it to generate cover images. After all I'm not an artist and I think it can do a great job.

Cheers, Greg.
I use chatgpt to generate formulas for Excel and basic VB scripts-- it's like having a 20yo who mostly knows how to do it take a first pass. It cuts down required time for analysis by like 75%. I also use tool to analyze text for things like sticky words or paragraphs or content that feels poorly derivative-- I'm not asking it to change anything, but I will absolutely ask it to analyze and flag things for me.

tldr: Using AI is about proper use cases and creativity isn't one of them