Twitter’s replacement

Phyrebrat

www.beanwriting.com
Supporter
Hi all,

I know Twitter ain’t for everyone (and I refuse to call it X) but who here uses it? Or its better replacement BlueSky?

I can’t sell the joy enough of reading threads on BlueSky without the adverts every other message we got on Twitter when muskrat took over

Elon can …

I've found Twitter much more enjoyable since Musk took over, as previously I was being directed down an ever narrowing echo chamber, even when trying to follow people with views contrary to my own. Much easier now that I don't feel a lot of stuff is being hidden from me (could be totally wrong, but who knows!).

Twitter is also the only place I market my novels. Not sure if it makes much difference, as the sales tick along whether I tweet or not! I do enjoy that aspect, though.

I haven't heard of BlueSky, but will take a look, thanks.

I read Twitter but no longer post there.

I probably only still use it because of the Tweak New Twitter plug-in, which Peat put me on to and which I heartily recommend. You only see content from people you follow, either their posts or their retweets (on separate screens). NO ADVERTS. It even keeps the look exactly as it was, so you only see the "X" logo briefly before it changes back to the blue bird.

So much to complain about regarding X but I can't do that here (the biggest injustice being when he quite suddenly revoked third-party access to dedicated platform APIs and thousands of small businesses relying on them couldn't afford to continue - even some willing to pay him $42,000 a month!)

I only wanted to point out that there are already "Lists". Very few people ever seemed to use Twitter Lists, but if you create your own private Lists with only the people you want to see included, and then only look at those, you won't see any adverts either (of course, I've no doubt this loophole will be closed at some point, if Lists themselves don't get removed entirely.)

Rather than move to Threads, Blue Sky, Mastodon or anything else, I think it's time to step back a little. There is still much on X that you see before the mainstream news catches up, and often more nuanced detail, but there is also much unsubstantiated gossip and outright lying, with far poorer moderation. It's a really just a sewer now.

I use Twitter. I find it a bit of a dose, and the editing is terrible. I got three good writing/ creative collaborations from it though.
I've also found some good audio fiction posted there, and keep an eye on it from time to time. To my mind the website is either badly run or deliberately divisive. Am permanently on the verge of deleting my account :unsure:

Personally, I've been dipping my toes into BlueSky's waters, and it's been a pretty refreshing experience. You know, threads without those pesky adverts popping up every other message, especially since Musk stepped into the Twitter scene. It's almost like having a smooth ride without the constant billboard distractions. Now, here's a little tidbit for you. If you're still on the hunt for ways to boost your online presence, I've got a suggestion. Did you know that you can grab a Verified Twitter Account for sale? Yep, it's a thing! Having that blue checkmark can really make you stand out in the Twitterverse, and it's not as complicated as you might think.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it's going to be called 'X, formerly known as Twitter' or 'Twitter, now known as X'?

Not sure how long news agencies are going to continue with this, but surely by now everyone knows of the name change over. And if they don't, then they probably don't care anyway.

I wonder how long it's going to be called 'X, formerly known as Twitter' or 'Twitter, now known as X'?

Not sure how long news agencies are going to continue with this, but surely by now everyone knows of the name change over. And if they don't, then they probably don't care anyway.
If they're like me, they probably avoid calling it simply "X" because it sounds ridiculous.

Someone tried to get us to call it "Kiss" and not X, just to annoy Elon...
A long time I'm guessing.
It'd been 30 years since the Euro was introduced and yet every time they give the exchange rate of € to the £ and they go on to say "so that makes 1€ worth XX pence".

To nearly quote Rick Deckard: I quit while it was Twitter. I'm twice as quit now.

Last edited:
If he doesn't have invite codes, I do.

That said, I do probably use Twitter more than Bluesky. Twitter has a better mute function, so my twitter feed is more relevant to me than Bluesky, and it has better supported embeds.

Mastodon and Threads are dead in the water for me. Just useless.

As for taking a step back from this sort of thing altogether... as a small person wanting to do publicity, Twitter was golden. Twitter becoming the walking dead has cost me about 400 page views on my blog. If that was a monetary product, I'd be sweating. The SFF magazine community has been hit particularly hard.