Self-publishing "bible"?

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Just wondering if anyone could recommend one really, really good book that covers all things self-publishing. The whole process. Editor, cover, print on demand, typesetting, ISBNs, creating a publishing imprint, then paid ads, social media, newsletters, collecting data in order to adapt marketing … …

I've been finding lots of bits of information all over the place. This book on paid marketing, another on editing and covers, etc. It would be nice to have one "bible".

Thanks.

You found them already? Get them all, and a small bookshelf to keep them on.
Nobody says it has to all be the same book, just like no cook has only one cookbook.
Happy to get a collection in due course. For now it would be nice to have some recommendations. One, two or three good places to start. I'll do a more intense study of everything self-pub if/when I take that route. For now I want a solid grounding, and too many book options are counterproductive, i.e., overwhelming, confusing.

I'd focus on ensuring you have the basics of writing first: read Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer and Save the Cat by Blake Synder. Then put the opening pages up in Critiques. Understanding the tools covered in both of the above will help you separate personal likes from objective criticisms in any feedback you get.

As for self-publishing itself - it's easy and simple when you go through Amazon - no need to worry about typesetting and don't waste your money on ISBN's as Amazon provide these for you. The Kindle publishing process is simple and easy: you upload a doc or text file of your MS - check the preview to make sure it all looks okay - then you upload an image of the cover, then select a few options - save, done, published your ebook. Then you do the same for the paperback option below your newly published title, which is print on demand and has an option for expanded distribution which means any book seller can order a copy for their store if someone asks them to (though you need to charge more to cover any book seller cut). Done.

Also, as in another thread, don't rush to self-publish a single book. You need multiple titles for self-publishing to work really well for you, especially if you have a discounted first book with follow on titles. If you don't have those follow-up books ready yet, hold off publishing that first book until you do. I cannot emphasize enough how difficult it is to promote a single novel over a series.

You could have a look at , Write Publish Repeat by Sean Platt and Johnny B Truant, I believe there is another book with the same title , but a difrent author. It was published in 2013, but the book world has not changed so much to make the book out of date . Originally a podcast, this is a book version for fans of the podcast .It is also a bit of a self indulgent ramble. However it is not all bad news , the authors are a very prolific and successful, so their book is not just theory.

I'd focus on ensuring you have the basics of writing first: read Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer and Save the Cat by Blake Synder. Then put the opening pages up in Critiques. Understanding the tools covered in both of the above will help you separate personal likes from objective criticisms in any feedback you get.

As for self-publishing itself - it's easy and simple when you go through Amazon - no need to worry about typesetting and don't waste your money on ISBN's as Amazon provide these for you. The Kindle publishing process is simple and easy: you upload a doc or text file of your MS - check the preview to make sure it all looks okay - then you upload an image of the cover, then select a few options - save, done, published your ebook. Then you do the same for the paperback option below your newly published title, which is print on demand and has an option for expanded distribution which means any book seller can order a copy for their store if someone asks them to (though you need to charge more to cover any book seller cut). Done.

Also, as in another thread, don't rush to self-publish a single book. You need multiple titles for self-publishing to work really well for you, especially if you have a discounted first book with follow on titles. If you don't have those follow-up books ready yet, hold off publishing that first book until you do. I cannot emphasize enough how difficult it is to promote a single novel over a series.
I very much agree with your last point.

In terms of ISBN, I've been told (rightly or wrongly) that for authors who are serious about self-pub as a business, it's better to set up our own ISBNs and publishing imprints. Adds kudos, they say, and perhaps it helps with selling beyond Amazon? I'm basically willing to do anything to present my novels in as professional a way as possible.

Re. the basics of writing, I'd say the same to anyone else. But god help me, for myself, I have to believe I have the basics down by now. Trust me, millions of words, thousands of hours, several novels, 15 years – and yes, I've had critiques. Critiques are vital. Keep 'em coming.

In terms of ISBN, I've been told (rightly or wrongly) that for authors who are serious about self-pub as a business, it's better to set up our own ISBNs and publishing imprints.
That's basically if you plan to print your books yourself, store them in your garage, and sell them from home. But if you're using Amazon POD it's completely unnecessary because your printing and distribution is all covered.

I bought a bunch of ISBN's at the beginning, but in the end they were a waste of a couple of hundred quid.

Actually when I finally get around to publishing, I'll be following a friend's example, and several self-pubbed authors I read, and going with Ingram Spark - they provide the ISBN as part of the package. The Amazon number on eBooks means it can only be sold on Amazon. If you go IS then you get ISBNS that other online book sellers and bricks and mortar stores can order (if their distributor stocks it). IS do distribution as well.
The downside is you get a lower percentage from Amazon if you don't publish through them.
I think @Jo Zebedee has waxed lyrical on this subject in other threads. Try searching for her name and see what she has posted.

the isbn thing only affects print books - the ASIN for ebooks is assigned by amazon but you can sell your ebook anywhere. Ingram makes more sense if they now assign an isbn - although I did with the amazon one but I don’t see expanded distribution working from the retailer end (discount is mostly too low and retailers don’t want to stock self pubbed books anyhow, so don’t pick them up even if available)

One self-pub author I know is always talking about Smashswords.

He tells me they check the book quality and then supply the books to Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble, and Overdrive. He says he also converts to ePub and uploads his books direct to Google, saying he actually gets most of his sales through Google these days (although by "sales" I'm never sure whether he's charging for his novels or just giving them away.)

I'm getting the impression from the post above that most people here are largely keeping it simple and sticking with Amazon for the entire venture?

Smashswords does indeed offer wider distribution - I use Draft2Digital which offers pretty much the same service but for some reason I decided would work better for me. However, Amazon is your friend and I find sales outside of it poor to the point of negligible.

And, yes, it's standard for authors out there to class a free download as a sale to inflate their figures and fake their level of success. Unless an author gives specific figures, be very, very cynical about author claims. "Most" sales on Google could mean none at all on Amazon and 1 a year with Google.

Smashswords does indeed offer wider distribution - I use Draft2Digital which offers pretty much the same service but for some reason I decided would work better for me. However, Amazon is your friend and I find sales outside of it poor to the point of negligible.

And, yes, it's standard for authors out there to class a free download as a sale to inflate their figures and fake their level of success. Unless an author gives specific figures, be very, very cynical about author claims. "Most" sales on Google could mean none at all on Amazon and 1 a year with Google.
Thanks, Brian. That's helpful. I'll look into Draft2Digital.

Back