Looking for A Novel Involving the Sun going Super Nova to Defeat Alien Fleet

Briep

Hello,

I am hoping someone may be able to help identify a book I have been trying to track down for my father.

It is a science fiction book that was likely written in the 70's or 80's, or it could potentially be an early 90's book as well.

The only thing I know about it is a loose summary of the plot.

There is an advanced and ruthless race (called the Dugclari or something similar sounding to that) that is causing havoc on man kind. They have decided to wipe out Earths solar system and all hope is seemingly lost. Mankind has no chance in the fight against them as their numbers are simply too great.

There is a group of enhanced humans who are enlisted to help. Half of the alien fleet is sent to destroy the solar system and they begin to do so mercilessly until they get to Earth. Unbeknownst to them, the advanced/enhanced humans have set a trap and people have been moved out of our solar system to safer places during the aliens attack. As a final blow the sun has been rigged to super nova, destroying the half of the alien fleet that is in the solar system when it explodes. Since this cuts their numbers in half, it turns the tide and allows the human race to fight and win over the brutal and merciless alien race.

I know this is not much to go on at all. But if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

This sounds similar - particularly the sun subplot - to The Killing Star by George Pelligrino and George Zebrowski (1995).

Here’s an overview: “In the late 21st century Earth is at peace. Humans now command self-replicating machines that create engineering marvels on enormous scales. Artificial habitats dot the Solar System. Anti-matter driven Valkyrie rockets carry explorers to the stars at nearly the speed of light.

Then, swarms of missiles travelling at close to the speed of light hit Earth. Though they are merely boulder-sized chunks of metal, they move fast enough to hit with the force of many nuclear arsenals. They are impossible to track and to stop. Humanity is almost wiped out by the bombardment.[1]

A handful of survivors desperately struggle to escape the alien mop-up fleet. They hide close to the Sun, inside asteroids, beneath the crusts of moons, within ice rings, and in interstellar space. Most are however hunted down and slaughtered.”

And the part about the sun: “A single spacecraft grazes the Sun while playing a game of cat and mouse with an intruder starship. The humans use negative energy bombs to cause a massive solar eruption which destroys the alien pursuers. Several years later, at the book's end, this band makes the Sun go supernova, thus cleansing the Solar System of the intruders.”

1686973089066.jpeg

Back