RIP Jeff Beck

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
One of the most interesting musicians around
A sudden and unexpected loss.
If you only know Silver Lining there is so much more,

Here with young bassist Tal Wilkenfeld

He was the guitarist's guitarist with a style and technique all of his own. One thing I admired about him was his devotion to constantly developing and refining his technique - proving that no matter how good you are (and he was an awesome player) there's always room for improvement.

A great, great loss.

An exceptional guitarist. Sadly, not really rated by most people (other than guitarists) because he was a little under the radar (unlike Hendrix, Page, Clapton). Will be putting some of his stuff on the turntable tonight.

I mean this in the best way: Jeff has always been on my radar. I was luckily introduced to these two albums when I was still quite young (1970-ish). I've followed him closely ever since.

1674102725512.png
1674102762429.png

He really did look (and act!) quite young right up to the last, didn't he?

As I understand it, he died from bacterial meningitis. Death can be quite a quick occurrence after this infection. This probably explains why, even recently, he looked fit and healthy. As a youngster, I knew Silver Lining but it was Beck’s Bolero that first caught my attention.

I've seen a few of this guy's videos and he's a very accomplished player. The Beckophiles out there might find his comments on Beck's technique interesting. Sometimes, when you play an instrument and you come across a virtuoso like Beck, all you can do is kind of laugh in awe (as this presenter does in his video).

Rick Beato puts out some great videos. For some, you really need to know music theory, but for most of them you just need to love music.