AI image generator - for book covers???

.matthew.

While not explicitly stated, I think this would be a good basis for those seeking to generate cover art. You'd still need to add the title, etc, but the image quality and styles can be really good.

There's a free trial if you go to Midjourney and join the beta. It requires a Discord account but essentially acts like a bot that you give prompts to. If you were looking to create a cover and keep it private just for your own use, the monthly cost for that would be $10 basic plan + $20 private charge, but you'd only really need to keep it up for the month you're using it. Much cheaper than hiring an artist for self-publishing. Even if you go with the artist, you could use this tool to get an idea of exactly what you want.

I just typed in "mountain fantasy castle snow" and got a selection of 4 I could iterate on.
Glottis_mountain_fantasy_castle_snow_f742e98e-8ee1-4b72-81a2-62ba6bd10c4f.png

Not to derail the thread, but I found Blender very good. I've no artistic or animation background and could work it(ish). It's free*, open source, relatively easy to use, and has a pile of online help (*needs time, which is possibly the most precious currency).

Or
While not explicitly stated, I think this would be a good basis for those seeking to generate cover art. You'd still need to add the title, etc, but the image quality and styles can be really good.

Or you could pay a real artist to do it - a human being who cares as much about their work, and honing their skills, and producing something individual and interesting they are proud of. A bit like.... oh, I don't know... the writer whose words fill the book maybe?

Just a thought.

Though, given that most self-published books I've attempted read like a faulty AI knocked them out in a few seconds too, maybe it's a match made in heaven.

Last edited:
One problem with hiring an artist can be that some of them are more interested in expressing their own individual vision than in fairly representing the author's vision of the story. Not all of them are that way, but some are and that can be super frustrating on both sides. Artists who have a very distinctive and individual style and yet have the genius to adapt that to whatever is needed and serve their own art and the author's equally are much in demand, and consequently very expensive.

Is there an AI where I can put in a picture and it writes the book?

Best to be certain of who owns the copywrite.
The user owns the copywrite on all images generated, although, without the private feature, the images go back into the pool of generation allowing them to be refined and used by a different user. But for these purposes, the terms of service spell out the ownership clearly enough.

Not to derail the thread, but I found Blender very good. I've no artistic or animation background and could work it(ish). It's free*, open source, relatively easy to use, and has a pile of online help (*needs time, which is possibly the most precious currency).
Blender has been on my own to-do list for years though. Installed but haven't gotten round to it yet.

It still takes a lot more work, and if your medium is words, it could take a lot of time and leave you with something very amateur looking.

Or

Or you could pay a real artist to do it - a human being who cares as much about their work, and honing their skills, and producing something individual and interesting they are proud of. A bit like.... oh, I don't know... the writer whose words fill the book maybe?

Just a thought.

Though, given that most self-published books I've attempted read like a faulty AI knocked them out in a few seconds too, maybe it's a match made in heaven.
A nice thought, but a writer doesn't owe an artist anything just because they both have creative occupations. You can also consider how little time an artist will put into a cover compared to the often years an author will have worked on the book itself.

If you're writing without a publisher, you're also unlikely to have been making money from that process, and if you only sell a few hundred copies, then having most of that money going to the artist hardly seems reasonable...

That said, as I mentioned in the first post, you could also use it as a way of discovering almost complete ideas that you could then hand to an artist, saving them a lot of time, and yourself a lot of money.

I for one welcome our robot overlords :)

One problem with hiring an artist can be that some of them are more interested in expressing their own individual vision than in fairly representing the author's vision of the story. Not all of them are that way, but some are and that can be super frustrating on both sides. Artists who have a very distinctive and individual style and yet have the genius to adapt that to whatever is needed and serve their own art and the author's equally are much in demand, and consequently very expensive.
This is very true and I hadn't considered this benefit. You can even see it in the book covers for the same book published in different countries, where they look different not only because of market trends but also because they use different artists who have their own vision.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how likely it is for an artist to actually read the book before they do the cover? I've read so many books where the art really doesn't sell the impression I got from reading it.

Last edited:
I signed up earlier this month for the $10 trial. The art it creates was so much better than I could've expected. Midjourney would be my go to if I needed cover art for a book, but since I am yet to sell a book, I had to settle with updating my profile picture.

I've been playing with AI based art, with Midjourney, Dalle2, Disco diffusion, and the soon to be released stable diffusion, and the conclusion I've come to is that it's all terrifically samey. You can do miraculous things with it, but once you've seen a few the results begin to look underwhelming - particularly with characters.

Without being able to control composition it becomes a bit of a crapshoot if you want to create something that stands out from the crowd. As a resource to build on, or overpaint, it's great - but it makes me appreciate real artists like Berkey, Vallejo, Macquarrie, etc a lot more.

I've been looking into this as well. With some AI's, like Midjourney, you can input a reference image that's of your own making too. This way you can guide the bot a little.

Be aware that in order to get what you are envisioning, you still have to put some work into learning how the prompts work. That's a skill too, believe it or not. It's still faster than learning how to paint though. Obviously.

I've been playing with AI based art, with Midjourney, Dalle2, Disco diffusion, and the soon to be released stable diffusion, and the conclusion I've come to is that it's all terrifically samey. You can do miraculous things with it, but once you've seen a few the results begin to look underwhelming - particularly with characters.

Without being able to control composition it becomes a bit of a crapshoot if you want to create something that stands out from the crowd. As a resource to build on, or overpaint, it's great - but it makes me appreciate real artists like Berkey, Vallejo, Macquarrie, etc a lot more.
This is true, but how many readers would be familiar enough with the results to notice? All most people browsing would see is an image that looks well put together and professional.

As to the crapshoot, you pretty much get the same with real artists. They'd give you layout examples, etc, and then you'd see what you like best. With this type of software, you can do that exact same process in a matter of minutes, getting a set of potentials, having the AI create more based specifically on the one you like the best, and having it fill in extra details as it gets upscaled, and so on.

And, at the end of that, if you don't like what you've seen, you won't have been waiting for days or weeks or paying for each attempt, and you can simply try again.

I like the idea of overpainting it though, I only thought of using it as a template for an artist, but as the user owns the copywrite, you could totally use it like that as well.

A nice thought, but a writer doesn't owe an artist anything just because they both have creative occupations. You can also consider how little time an artist will put into a cover compared to the often years an author will have worked on the book itself.

Creative artists don't owe each other anything? Writers don't owe each other any respect either then? or is it just disciplines outwith your own that are unimportant?

And as for the 'how little time' thing. When you pay someone to do a job you aren't buying the time they spend doing the job you're paying them for their skill. You are paying for all the time they spent learning how to do the job you are paying them to do. You pay a skilled mechanic all that money to repair your car because he's a skilled mechanic. Not some idiot with a monkey wrench. You could argue after the fact that all he did was unscrew a few nuts and put another washer in and do the nuts up again - anyone could have done that. Yes they could. But it's knowing that the washer needed replacing and by doing it now not later (and replacing something else which was looking worn while they were there... etc. ) is what you pay for and which will save you money in the end.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how likely it is for an artist to actually read the book before they do the cover? I've read so many books where the art really doesn't sell the impression I got from reading it.

What is the point of a book cover? The book cover there to make someone go -"Oh, out of the three hundred and fifty seven books on display on these shelves all competing for my attention - THAT's the one that looks interesting and something that might tempt me into buying it"

It's to help sell the book. It's not there to be an exact representation of the author's vision but merely a tool to get the potential reader to pick the bloody thing up, turn it over and read the blurb. That's ALL it's there for. A book cover is a sales tool not an integral part of the book. Different editions for different markets will have different covers. The text will remain the same; the packaging changes.

A successful author or series will have a branding. The covers will have a consistency to them.

If you want your book to look like an amateur, self-published book - something that will put OFF a lot of potential buyers - then go ahead.

Personally I don't buy* any books with covers that look like they were knocked up by the author - beyond the occasional cringe at the number of Photoshop filters thrown at the lettering, or to marvel at the lack of visual understanding on display.

The cover may well be an exact representation of the author's vision, but if the image looks like amateur crap what does that say about the contents?

*Though I will pick them up free from bookswap places for the Ed Wood factor.

Is there an AI where I can put in a picture and it writes the book?

Google will show many. I wouldn't use one but when it says trained on the text from millions of web pages I can see a copyright risk red flag.
I am going to play with it now and see :unsure:

Creative artists don't owe each other anything? Writers don't owe each other any respect either then? or is it just disciplines outwith your own that are unimportant?

And as for the 'how little time' thing. When you pay someone to do a job you aren't buying the time they spend doing the job you're paying them for their skill. You are paying for all the time they spent learning how to do the job you are paying them to do. You pay a skilled mechanic all that money to repair your car because he's a skilled mechanic. Not some idiot with a monkey wrench. You could argue after the fact that all he did was unscrew a few nuts and put another washer in and do the nuts up again - anyone could have done that. Yes they could. But it's knowing that the washer needed replacing and by doing it now not later (and replacing something else which was looking worn while they were there... etc. ) is what you pay for and which will save you money in the end.
No, creative artists do not owe each other anything, regardless of what discipline they have. I didn't mention respect at all... but no, you can of course respect someone you admire, and there are plenty of authors and artists and sculptors that I do, but they're not owed it by default.

They are especially not owed your money if you don't want their services. You don't have to financially support creatives just because they're creatives, which is even more true if you can get similar work done by a machine for a fraction of the price. That's like saying you only buy products made by hand because Luddites don't support mechanisation.

As for the time commitment thing, it is still a valid point. You're implying that the skill of the artist is worth more than the skill of the author because they can charge a lot more for a lot less. Now, with economies of scale, the author will make a lot more, but only if the book sells well. Paying a lot for a cover might help drive sales up, but it might also mean the book you've just self-published could lose you money.

And yes, it's true that the reason you pay mechanics so much is that they know how to do the thing and you don't, but are you telling me that you wouldn't use some automated repair shop if such a thing was ever built? A place free from the price gouging of mechanics looking to put the screws to a clueless customer? A place that could tear down and rebuild your car faster than a mechanic could even diagnose the problem?

How about the printing press? Do you think books should be written out by hand? That used to be a job too until technology moved on and effectively ran it out of business. Was this a sad day for scribes? Certainly... but it was a good day for anyone who wanted to buy a book.

This is the exact same thing. An incredibly similar outcome for a significantly reduced cost.

There's also nothing to stop artists from incorporating this technology into their own workflow. It could help them generate ideas and sketches for clients that would give them an edge over their competition and allow them to reduce the costs to their customers, all while maintaining a similar level of income for their time.

That said, I'd put money on the majority just using it as a means to get their work done faster without passing the savings on.

Furthermore, I'm not suggesting stealing an artist's work, merely not buying it in the same way you avoid books without good covers. Why aren't you supporting that creative author? It sounds to me like you're disregarding the discipline...

But to sum up, even though future artists may not get as many customers, their potential customers shouldn't be guilted into paying for something they don't need to.

Edit: My degree is in sculpting and 3D Design, so I'm hardly unsympathetic here, but at the end of the day, the customer always has the right to seek the best deal for thesmelves.

Last edited:
The problem with AI-generated fantasy art, at least the stuff I've seen, is that it all screams BLANDLY GENERIC, and that's the impression it would give me of the book (which might in many cases be accurate, of course). We haven't yet reached the point where AI can possess actual imagination or original vision.

Eventually both writers and artists will be looking at the same future

An artist just created a really neat picture. Pulls up the AI story writer, plunks down a short list of keywords, a few character names, and a simple plot. Now they have a book cover and a story to sell, or rather, a book an AI sales program can now sell for them.

According to the adspeak, AI writing is already here.

Turn Text Into Life-Like Speech Using Deep Learning Technologies.
Create content 5x faster with artificial intelligence
Everything your team needs in an AI writing software.
Improve Grammar, Word Choice, And Sentence Structure In Your Writing.
The Best AI Novel Writing Software For 2022 ; Editor's Choice
AI writing tool that helps you transform your text into a completely personalized and unique ...

I like the editors choice blurb, is that any old editor talking, or is it a book editor. Of course the editors are next in line.

I use blender for 3d model creation. Does it have a feature that can work as book cover creation?

This is true, but how many readers would be familiar enough with the results to notice? All most people browsing would see is an image that looks well put together and professional.

It's a question of time. In the forums I'm on now artworks that scream Midjourney are met with a groan where once it was a wow. It's amazing how fast these things get old.

As to the crapshoot, you pretty much get the same with real artists. They'd give you layout examples, etc, and then you'd see what you like best. With this type of software, you can do that exact same process in a matter of minutes, getting a set of potentials, having the AI create more based specifically on the one you like the best, and having it fill in extra details as it gets upscaled, and so on.

It depends on your choice of artist and your intent. Artist's tend to know what looks better on the page as they have a good grasp of the fundamentals of visual design - composition, value, colour and so on. Writers may have an idea but that idea often doesn't translate to an appealing piece of artwork. A good relationship between artist and writer is a must - to find the right artist from the outset whose work is closest to what you have in mind. Failing that, having enough trust and writing a clear enough brief (with visual examples) in the artist to translate your non-visual ideas into pages that will sell your book.

I use blender for 3d model creation. Does it have a feature that can work as book cover creation?

Not quite - but you can use the images as textures in Blender and then assemble your own book cover from them:

Last edited:
Eventually both writers and artists will be looking at the same future

An artist just created a really neat picture. Pulls up the AI story writer, plunks down a short list of keywords, a few character names, and a simple plot. Now they have a book cover and a story to sell, or rather, a book an AI sales program can now sell for them.

According to the adspeak, AI writing is already here.

Turn Text Into Life-Like Speech Using Deep Learning Technologies.
Create content 5x faster with artificial intelligence
Everything your team needs in an AI writing software.
Improve Grammar, Word Choice, And Sentence Structure In Your Writing.
The Best AI Novel Writing Software For 2022 ; Editor's Choice
AI writing tool that helps you transform your text into a completely personalized and unique ...

I like the editors choice blurb, is that any old editor talking, or is it a book editor. Of course the editors are next in line.

The next big, frightening step is content that is generated specifically for the reader. It is already in its infancy with Netflix adjusting movies depending on who is watching.

The trend is towards an entirely atomised society that lives in a bubble of one, with tailored content and no collective experience... You want an action movie with you as the star? You got it. Don't like those slow, boring scenes - your streaming service has already analysed which content makes you pay less attention and it will automatically cut it out of the movie for you. Behold our new, isolated future and despair!!!