Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022)

alexvss

Me doesn't knows no grammar.
Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022). A struggling immigrant mother finds herself amidst a battle that could destroy all the universes. A resistance group, who can travel to other universes by taking over their alter ego’s bodies, finds her and teaches her to leap to other universes.

This is multiverse done right. It’s intimate and grandiose at the same time. It has science-fiction, comedy, crazy action… a true multiverse. It comes from the same twisted minds that made Swiss Army Man (2016), but with a bigger budget (not that big though--only 25 million--, which proves that they have a lot of creativity). The leading actors are absolute legends: Michelle Yeoh, from the early Hong Kong action movies and from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; and Ke Huy Quan, who played Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) and Data in The Goonies (1985).

I just have to say that it is a bit too long. Cut 30 minutes and you have my 10 out of 10.

I haven't seen this, but my son rates it. He said it was like an expanded Rick & Morty episode. I'll put it on my list of must watch soon then.

When an interdimensional rupture unravels reality, an unlikely hero must channel her newfound powers to fight bewildering dangers from the multiverse, as the fate of everything hangs in the balance.
I just have to say that it is a bit too long. Cut 30 minutes and you have my 10 out of 10.
Yes, anything over 2 hours is too long in my book, as it is usually just padding.
Michelle Yeoh
Probably the best thing about Star Trek: Discovery is her Mirror Universe version of her Starfleet character.

I haven't seen this, but my son rates it. He said it was like an expanded Rick & Morty episode. I'll put it on my list of must watch soon then.

Yes, anything over 2 hours is too long in my book, as it is usually just padding.

Probably the best thing about Star Trek: Discovery is her Mirror Universe version of her Starfleet character.
An expanded Rick & Morty episode is a good way of putting it!

Looking forward to seeing this and it's one of the few movies that i actually want to see.

Great title, by the way.

Last edited:
I've seen it now and well, it has everything thrown into it! The New York Times described it as a "swirl of genre anarchy" and features elements of black comedy, science fiction, fantasy, martial arts film and animation.
it's frenetic.
That's exactly the word I'd use too.

And "The bagel of Doom"! People with hot dogs for fingers! A chef puppeteered by a raccoon!

According to Wikipedia said:
Originally written for Jackie Chan!

I haven't seen anything quite like it, but I could see the similarities to, among other things, Big Trouble in Little China, Ratatouille, Spiderman into the Spider Verse, La La Land, Rick and Morty, all of which might be coincidental.

Also according to Wikipedia said:
The film's soundtrack features music composed by Son Lux, including collaborations with musicians Mitski, David Byrne, André 3000, and Randy Newman.

I've seen this twice and think it's a great film. It's absolutely bonkers and crazy and at times completely insane and silly. But it somehow balances that with a lot of heart, managing to stay grounded and centered to the characters and their relationships, which is why this movie works so well.

I've seen this twice and think it's a great film. It's absolutely bonkers and crazy and at times completely insane and silly. But it somehow balances that with a lot of heart, managing to stay grounded and centered to the characters and their relationships, which is why this movie works so well.
That description easily fits the directors' previous film Swiss Army Man (2016). It's also bonkers, but with a smaller budget.

Nearly finished this. It's like a Chinese take on The Matrix, but with less budget, less seriousness, and more slapstick. Great choreography, though. It's okay but am struggling to care for it, and think it's more likely to become a cult film than a popular one.

The last hour pushed into really bad taste, then followed with a brilliant section with two rocks. Film finished as expected. Altogether a bit too frenetic for me and wasn't happy with the supposed humour tripping into adult content a couple of times. Otherwise, an interesting film experience but one I wouldn't want to repeat! :)

I jus saw this on a plane trip home. It was sort of an "everything and the kitchen sink, too" film. It did feel like two different films mashed together. There was a secret group trying to repair the multiverse that sort of got lost when it transitioned into a mother-daughter conflict film, with some pure slapstick moments thrown in. I was surprised to see Jamie Lee Curtis listed in the credits; I hadn't recognized her during the film. She has certainly had some interesting roles.

I am guessing the scene that Brian was referencing was the fight scene with the pantsless? cop. In the airline version, this was heavily pixilated, though I can guess some of what happened.

Hi,

I liked it. Frenetic's a good term. Madcap is another. And at times, especially towards the end, I started to lose track of things. The action was way over the top, but fun. I especially liked the idea that you could "swap" mentally at least, universes by simply doing the most improbable thing imaginable. But was a little let down by the ending - A mother's love for her daughter will conquer all? It seemed a little trite.

Cheers, Greg.

Back