Children of Memory by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I've just noticed this planned for release in November:
Thrid book in the Children of Time/Ruin series. Have to say I'm looking forward to it when it shifts to paperback pricing!

Oh, that is good news. I have yet to read the other two but they're both in my Kindle.

I'll pick up a signed hardback if Forbidden Planet has them.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea if this "series" is going to become a never ending series or if it will stop as a trilogy?
I read the first book: the people were flat and bland, the spiders and bugs were adorable. I bought the second book but haven't read it yet. If it's going to be a long series I'm not even going to bother going further.

The second book was significantly better - the human characters much stronger
That’s interesting feedback thanks - but I’m not someone who can read through a long flawed book (imo) to get to a better one. I gave my copy of the original book to the charity shop.

Does anyone have any idea if this "series" is going to become a never ending series or if it will stop as a trilogy?
I read the first book: the people were flat and bland, the spiders and bugs were adorable. I bought the second book but haven't read it yet. If it's going to be a long series I'm not even going to bother going further.
I wouldn't have thought there was much scope for more than three books. The third book was clearly flagged at the end of the second book so I wasn't surprised to see this one coming. However on his website it says "3-book sequence (currently)" so I would guess he has no immediate plans for further books but hasn't ruled it out.

I wouldn't have thought there was much scope for more than three books. The third book was clearly flagged at the end of the second book so I wasn't surprised to see this one coming. However on his website it says "3-book sequence (currently)" so I would guess he has no immediate plans for further books but hasn't ruled it out.
Thank you! So long as there is an end after book three and no cliff-hangers or too many loose ends. I might actually be motivated to get around to the second book sooner rather than later or never. :)

I struggled to finish it (after lots of screaming "just go to the ****ING planet!)
The second book was a DNF and I won't be tempted by the third
I skimmed a lot of the human bits. I was wondering if it was a mood thing with me, but apparently lots of people had problems with it.

I enjoyed the first one enough to read on - I liked the spiders
I liked the the spiders as a concept myself - they were a neat SF invention. But I had an issue with the spider characterisation, as I didn't like the jumps in time to new spiders with no actual connection to the old characters other than name -- which was doubtless a strategy the author took to connect them in our minds, but which didn't work for me at all. I felt it led to a weakly-connected, rather disjointed narrative in which we cared much less for characters than we should. By the time we got to know and care about one 'spider', we jumped forward in time and had to start over with a new one. And then, the off-world humans: none of them were appealing as I recall, and if they all had just died off, that would have been fine. They are 'marmite' books, I guess.

Looking at the summary on Goodreads it does sound a bit different to the first two since there doesn't seem to be a new highly-evolved species mentioned. Probably a good thing since it could have become a bit formulaic following up the spiders and octopuses with another species.

I'm definitely interested. I really liked the first two books, although I agree with the criticism that the human characters in the first book were a bit dull.