11.13: The Walking Dead - Warlords

ctg

weaver of the unseen
0mpg3VZ.jpg

Maggie, Lydia, and Elijah help a stranger from another community called Riverbend. They run into Aaron, who tells them about a mission he embarked on with Gabriel as emissaries for the Commonwealth.

Aha! There's that dark side of the Commonwealth, the one we always suspected was there.
I hope the ex-CIA agent who Hornsby used to do his dirty work meets a painful death at the end of Negan's bat -- or whatever Negan's swinging these days.

For loving the Ricknation, maybe even for being slightly patriotic I find it hard that people are leaving it behind for the Commonwealth's promise. But I get it, the lure for easy life, even seeing the glory of the Old World is definitely there. It is always there... as a temptation.

It is a lie instead of accepting the Kirkman's world as it is and fighting for the survival, instead of going back to the old ways. In a way Kirkman's world is a new frontier. It is vastly unexplored place, where the extreme situation changed the face of the Earth. The one thing is interesting, the lack of predators and the carrion eaters.

I get that the world is returning to its natural state through forestation and lack of people hacking things down. But it also should mean that in places the animals have returned in great numbers, and yet, there is no evidence of it. Only the dead roam road endlessly, searching for food or whatever they think is such a thing.

It's just there hasn't been much of zombie evolution as there has been in the Fear and the situation resembles somewhat stagnation. Maybe another decade and their numbers have significantly dipped.

DeSqTAu.jpg

Maggie was looking down to a mirror map. I had to turn it horizontally and then again, vertically to get the proper map out. She also said, "We're not going," as if it was the final order. Then she added, "We're barely holding on as it is."

It's true. They have lost people and as we know the people are important for the long term survival. With the loss, another community reaching for help seems to me like a proper solution for the manpower problem. As a leader she seems to take one step forward and two back. A wise one would send a scouting party.

Lydia's argument was that Alpha would have targetted Riverbend's community and she wasn't going to let another massacre to fall on her lap without her doing nothing. And yet, at the end Maggie chose to take on the party leadership and drive through the desolated roads to the community.

I love that they've brought back the vehicles and the road-trips, giving them able time to chat and it showed that Maggie still remember Old Man Hershel's stories. His wisdom and experience in dealing with various things.

Lydia's argument to Hershel's "get by" lesson was to say that she was getting tired of everything being so hard. Maggie wisely asked, "Those people at the Commonwealth hasn't been tested for ten years. Do you want to be there, when they are?"

Yet, Lydia put it down for everyday life being boring, before these three showed up.

ENVz5Op.jpg

Who said life in the Kirkman's world is boring? They had been executed perfectly in ambush style. Throats slashed open and one had been deal a glancing shot through the armour gap, telling a lot about the attacker being skilled attacker.

kDSXoI3.jpg

Gabriel preaching the story of the Prodigal Son. The Bible's warning about where the greed leads eventually and how the path of the redemption can begin by turning around and accepting the problem, instead of avoiding it in every way.

He righteously asked, "Why is that way out there, and not in here?" meaning the relationships that you tie with the strangers and going through the extra-mile to achieve some of those victories. Then he said, "The way we were before cannot be the way before us. We must always remember the thread, for that is what makes us try, it makes us forgive, it makes us return from peril. It makes us... us."

The interesting thing is that he confessed to be able to hear God's voice again, "As if the switch was flipped." More interesting thing is that Aaron ended up confessing to the Father that "the folks upstairs" had sent him because of "a religious group..."

I expected Gabriel to going ballistic, right after his sermon about the greed. And yet, Gabriel was like absolutely fine for the Commonwealth elite using him as a propaganda piece. What the h*ll they were thinking?

sYnDYSi.jpg

"They don't look like a friendly force," Aaron said as they arrived to the scene. The Commonwealth scout "couldn't wait to watch" the pair "to do their thing," while the Commonwealth prepared for the invasion camp.

It reminded me so much about the other situation, which we cannot talk about. And I loved that Gabriel saw through the scout's smoke-and-mirrors. And he went and claimed to be anxious for the pair to unleash themselves on the community like the propaganda and lies are the way for forcible assimilation into the Commonwealth. In fact, Father went and told the geezer, "You're plan is sh*t. I'm out."

The chief scout's argument was, "We've done it before. We'll do it again."

I facepalmed.

"What's the largest group you've found?"

"Four," the scout answered proudly.

I facepalmed again. Maggie was right, the Commonwealth is effed when the crisis arrives. Then the scout went and told Father Gabriel that his dog collars were "part of the costume." I couldn't hold it any longer. I laughed so hard that I felt that I was choking.

Idiot, that's what he is, although I'm not sure if the idiot reference is too kind word to describe his error.

zu9Coao.jpg

The religious group. A lot of them were carrying scythes. It is not an easy weapon to wield. Very effective with a long reach in properly trained hands, but as a close-quarters weapon it's terrible because you'll need that room to swing it around. So it's a very situational piece and yet, she was carrying it with confidence, while Gabriel told about the "peacekeeping" forces, camping nearby.

I loved after disarming the negotiators, they locked all of them inside the tower, took them to leader who dissected their lies about the Commonwealth being like the old world with the references to the moral corruption and not just a poster image, because every shiny thing has a shady side. Some of them are smellier than others.

Gabriel claimed that he'd not seen the corruption in the Commonwealth, even though it's evident from the way the scout handled the business. The best line came after revealing the trophy shelves of the last negotiators, "The murders, rapists, and a few cannibals. All of them sitting in the same seats you're sitting in right now. Most of them were wolves dressed as sheep. All of them meant my people harm. So, Mr Head Wolf... if you know where I live, and I don't know where you live, how dumb would that be for me to let you go?"

Gun on his face, Toby confessed, "It'd be dumb," instead of claiming that they weren't on that business and they needed security for the survival of the greater community.

Aaron and Gabriel saved their asses by claiming not to be raiders, and not to be "cannibals, armed with MRE's and water." If he hadn't done it, the old man would have let them go, but instead Toby showed his true face on being a contract killer with the decision on pulling the trigger leading back to Hornsby.

elKJ686.jpg

The religious, warlord story came from the yes-man. Unbelievable how easily people believe his lies and if we wouldn't be watching TWD I could claim that the plot is Fargo material. And we know how those macabre comedies end. Usually the body count is unbelievable. But the solution for the problem was getting a CIA operative back into the field.

No wonder why his tale stunk to high heaven. But also as an op, using those lies on the wounded warlord, proved that he couldn't handle the business. Not the lying side of it, while in the field stuff he excelled. He even had a phrase for it, "Snuffing out threats."

Peacekeepers, my ***. "This is how we make the world safe," propaganda.

Oh man, I loved seeing Aaron's blood boil. He taking out a trooper on the yard and then Gabriel doing the same at the inside.

What surprised me was that Negan turned out to be the mysterious saviour and not Gabriel being devious. The next episode is going to be a good one.

Toby Carlson, from the first I thought he reminded of one of Negan's lieutenants. The more I see of him the more that opinion is reinforced.
Still feel Governor Milton has no idea the half of what is going on. She likes the power but is smart enough to know the more seasoned survivors they bring in the more her authority will be challenged.
Lance Hornsby see's outsiders as his means of taking over and setting himself up as an emperor.
Big mistake, Maggie for all her faults recognises the problems of accepting help from the wolves.
Aaron is to trusting he believes the Commonwealth are helping out of goodness, he'll probably believe that Carlson is a rogue element. Gabriel quickly grasps that things aren't what they seem.
Negan, he has redeemed himself but I don't think I can ever really forgive him for Abraham and Glenn.
He does know what makes people tick and he knows that even though he doesn't trust her, Maggie will fight for what she thinks is right.

How grown up has Lydia become ?

Last edited:
How grown up has Lydia become ?
She's young adult and probably wanting to meet a boy, someone from another village. I thought she was putting up a bit of rebellious streak and wanting to make her own nest, and that life isn't available in the Ricknation.

She is as interesting character as Princess even though they've taken Princess down a few notches. I also cannot blame her for wanting to leave home and be something. After all Maggie did the same thing with Glenn around her age. Hence mini Hershel and her being more mum than twenty something.

Maggie for all her faults recognises the problems of accepting help from the wolves.
Negan, he has redeemed himself but I don't think I can ever really forgive him for Abraham and Glenn.
He does know what makes people tick and he knows that even though he doesn't trust her, Maggie will fight for what she thinks is right.

Well, she has problems. We know that and Negan knows it, and yet, Negan is probably trying his best to make the change to happen in Maggie too. It's just I agree with you for not being able to forgive the atrocities he did on Glenn, Abraham and many others. That's judgement is ultimately between him and God, and even though the redemption his destination might be going downstairs.

Is it just me that thinks the Commonwealth is an upscaled version of the saviors, putting on a civilised front?
They find outlying communities, barely surviving on a day to day basis. If Hornsby thinks he can manipulate them, he will arrange man power and resources, then he'll want payment, turning them in to serfs in his new world order.
If they can't manipulate them then wipe them out.
Flawed thinking, why not take out Hilltop and Oceanside, he can't he loses Alexandria, they aren't one remote settlement but three they work together, attack one the other two will retaliate. They may not have the weapons and manpower of the commonwealth but what they do have are seasoned fighters, who have survived the dead, other survivors, they know how to fight.

Flawed thinking, why not take out Hilltop and Oceanside, he can't he loses Alexandria, they aren't one remote settlement but three they work together, attack one the other two will retaliate. They may not have the weapons and manpower of the commonwealth but what they do have are seasoned fighters, who have survived the dead, other survivors, they know how to fight.
Hornsby is living in a lie and he is spreading lies around in his multiple schemes. He is definitely a crimeboss in a charge of colony of fifty thousand people, and they trust him on a certain level, yet there is a lot of resentment and memories of the people they lost.

The sad thing is that a lot of people are believing in that hoax, not knowing what's really going on inside or outside the walls. The horde that ravages the system doesn't even have to be a big one, it has to be a big enough to be able to spread and infect insiders.

Michael Biehn says he "said 'yes' right away" to his guest-starring Walking Dead role. The Aliens actor plays Ian, the whacko warlord leader of the Riverbend group encountered by Aaron (Ross Marquand) and Father Gabriel (Seth Gilliam) on Sunday's Season 11 Episode 13. After his recent return to television as a mercenary in a Season 2 episode of Star Wars: The Mandalorian, the Terminator star was offered a role on the final season of the AMC zombie drama:

"To tell you the truth, I have been watching The Walking Dead since it premiered. I remember the first year of The Walking Dead, I watched it, and I said to myself, 'I want to be on that show,'" Biehn said on Talking Dead. "I just thought it was a really, really quality show, and I've always wanted to be a part of it. For whatever reason — whether it was my schedule or interest, or non-interest [from TWD] — I was never offered a role until this past season, nor did I ever audition for a role. But it's a show that I've always thought was quality."

Like Terminator 2: Judgment Day actor Robert Patrick, who guest-starred opposite Marquand and Gilliam in the Season 10 episode "One More," Biehn won't be back: former CIA agent Toby Carlson (Jason Butler Harner) tortures and kills the warlord.

"When you look at a show that's been on for 12 years, it's absolutely astounding that you have a show for 12 years. It just speaks to the quality of the show," Biehn said. "I got a call from my agent, they had offered me a role, I read it, I thought it was a really fun character, so I said 'yes' right away."

"It's so funny, because I definitely kind of laughed when I heard that Michael was going to be playing the part," Marquand exclusively told ComicBook about the Walking Dead warlord. "Because I was so excited to work with Robert [Patrick] last year and excited but also intimidated because I love his body of work and also, he usually plays such scary badasses that I was worried that he was going to come to set and be kind of gruff or whatever. Robert couldn't have been nicer, couldn't have been more fun to talk to. We were laughing and joking around half the time. And then it came time to work, he was most professional and easy to work with."

"And I got to say, I had the same trepidation about working with Michael because he also plays gruff badasses," Marquand added with a laugh. "They were both just the most lovely, affable, fun-to-talk-to guys. I mean, we're so lucky to have such incredible veteran actors like them to play on our show, even if it was just for an episode. I mean, we really lucked out getting both of them to play in our universe. They were both so much fun to work with and I'm just really pleased that they got to play in our world."

They find outlying communities, barely surviving on a day to day basis. If Hornsby thinks he can manipulate them, he will arrange man power and resources, then he'll want payment, turning them in to serfs in his new world order.
If they can't manipulate them then wipe them out.
Sounds like one of today's more odious corporate acquisition strategies. Buy a smaller competitor, strip it of its most valuable personnel and assets and shut it down.

But where are the weapons? Who has them? Or do they exist at all? Was it just an elaborate plan by Hornsby to get Carlson back on the saddle again.