Kindle Formatting Query

Toby Frost

Supporter
Hello, I'm trying to put a manuscript into Kindle/ebook reader format.

1) Do I need to add page numbers, or will the reader do this automatically?

2) Is there a way of reformatting it to a Word file to save the changes I've made?

Thanks!

1. Amazon does this automatically, as it changes according to device.
2. You man your MS isn't in .doc format and you want to import it? Word is pretty good these days for importing/exporting files to/from other formats.

If you have a contents table, you'll also need to do that as per instructions - so the reader can click on the side menu to where they want to go and kindle opens the relevant page for them. I found their help pages useful for this.

Are you using Amazon's Kindle creator, out of interest?

Also, what kind of changes are you making that you'd want to save to Word? (Rather than just being in the ebook creator program?)

I'd recommend working on a Word file and simply upload that, including for any revisions - but that's coming from someone with a lot of experience with Word and is very comfortable with it, even though self-publishing forced me to expand my boundaries when it came to learning how to use it. :)

I put a novel on Kindle about a year ago. The process was simple enough, as I recall, and the instructions provided are excellent.

Regarding Kindle in general, it is unlikely anyone will find your work via normal searching and browsing (unless it is really specialized). I understand there are well over two million books self published there! Amazon might direct some traffic to your book in the first few days, just to get you excited and encourage you to take out a paid marketing plan. I did not do that. I found that, once things settled down, I was only making about ten bucks per month (with zero marketing). So, I removed the book from Kindle and gave it away free in various places, achieving tens of thousands of downloads in the last nine months. The warm glow, along with reader engagement, feedback, encouragement and praise, is worth more than a few bucks a month. I'll probably stick with this for my next novel and then make a return to Kindle with an established readership. Kindle is actually a decent platform for hosting a paid work, as long as you understand what it is and what it isn't. Brandon Sanderson covers self publishing in one of his lectures (see Youtube) and makes the point that the $2 typically made from each download is not far off what an author gets from a traditional book sale.

Thanks: I'm working in Word at the moment. I've published two novels on Kindle already, and I've got a small Facebook group who have expressed interest in the new book (it's tangentally linked to the Space Captain Smith novels). I did find it extremely difficult to give the books away for free at all, so well done for achieving that.

If this is for a Kindle ebook, formatting is straightforward. Just make a Word format 'doc and upload it. The Kindle system will take care of fonts and stuff. You will probably be prompted to provide an index (a potential hassle) but this is not obligatory. If you are formatting for other ebook platforms, eg via Smashwords, you may find it is much more of a hassle.
And if you want to format a paperback for Kindle, that is a lot more work.
This is the quick and easy part. You also have to ensure that your book is marketed and will sell... Best of luck with that. You will need it.