What Was the Last Television Episode You Watched?

Gilligan's Island Meet the Meteor I have no idea why I decided to watch this piece of crud .o_O

Star Trek TNG Chain of Command Pt.s 1&2 - wasn't David Warner a great actor? He spent all of his screen time in these episodes playing opposite Patrick Stewart, another more than fine actor, it was a joy to watch them playing off each other.

Tremendous actor. Played a human in Star Trek IV, then a Klingon in Star Trek V, then a Cardassian in TNG. And all played convincingly enough that no-one questioned it.

I always thought that he and Alan Rickman were quite similar actors; rarely taking the limelight as lead actor, but always adding panache to any scene they featured in.

The Wild Wild West - The Night of the Undead - Starts off with a voodoo ceremony and the suggestion that zombies are real--and even has a "Plague of the Zombies" plot where someone is making mindless slaves to do company labor for him but then it becomes a sci-fi thing.

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: The Killing - A Murder Inc. boss is targeted by the team with an elaborate ghost scam with is pretty funny--the extent of the BS in order to trap the guy. I liked it.

BANACEK: "If Max Is So Smart, Why Doesn't He Tell Us Where He Is?" A computer disappears from a building and leaves a lot of space for Anne Baxter scenery chewing. Premiered this month 50 years ago.

I just finished season 2 of Sherlock and back in the day there was too much night work to follow a network series that I thought I'd enjoy. I was right I thoroughly enjoy this series. My only complaint is that I can't see how this can stay this good much longer.

McMILLAN & WIFE "Freefall to Terror" - An old friend of Mac's jumps out a window --but no body is found on the pavement. 3 hours later while Mac and others are standing on the street, the body finishes its journey. As Enright says afterwards, "he sure took the long way down." Barbara Feldon gets a dramatic role-I don't think I have seen her in anything outside of Get Smart, and Barbara Rhoades makes her fourth appearance on the show. Tom Bosley and James Olson are potential suspects. Sally is almost killed twice-and in one incident she is trapped in a garage with a car running. This happened to Mac a while back and it took him forever to figure out how to save himself. She did it by cutting the ignition wires.
I can't get used to a skinny Enright.
Premiered 50 years ago tonight.

I just finished season 2 of Sherlock and back in the day there was too much night work to follow a network series that I thought I'd enjoy. I was right I thoroughly enjoy this series. My only complaint is that I can't see how this can stay this good much longer.

Sherlock is consistently good right through until the very end. Watson gets a girlfriend at the start of Season 3 which helps to shake things up a bit, and definitely adds, rather than detracts, from the storyline. Perhaps the only episode that slightly disappoints is the Victorian Christmas special 'The Abominable Bride.' I would much have preferred them to do a 'proper' Christmas special mainly covering The Blue Carbuncle' as Jeremy Brett did .

BTW before you start the third season there is a mini episode that was only shown online called 'Many Happy Returns' which is available to watch on YouTube.

DP Dog Day. An episodic Netflix original series about Korean military police officers that go after conscription deserters.

It’s a good enough series. The first scene shows the protagonist working as a delivery person for a pizzeria. The child of a family takes the change and says he kept it for himself. The parents, of course, trust the kid. It shows how honest the protagonist is from the get-go.

It’s also very socially relevant. In South Korea, men must undergo two years of mandatory military service, and they’re chosen randomly every year. And cases of torture and sexual abuse in the military made the news lately.

My Name. After witnessing her gangster father get murdered, a girl joins his gang to kill the perpetrator.

I almost dropped this because it starts a little bit “raw”, so to speak. A brooding girl gets harassed by cops and bullied in school for having a gangster father. It seemed a little forced, but you understand her connection with her dad throughout the first episode.

I have been watching Cardinal on Hulu. I am in the middle of the second of four 6 episode seasons. It follows a case for all 6 episodes each season. It is moody and atmospheric. It has a lot of scenes of the Canadian wilderness, interspersed with a lot of interpersonal stuff between the lead male and female character (not romantic, at least not yet) and some eye-watering scenes of (usually) the results of violence. I had never been aware of this television series before. I'm guessing it ran first in Canada. This is truly good. I am well and truly hooked by it, but this should be limited to mature audiences. If you lean into the detective genre, this is my rating:

Avoid --- Not Recommended --- Flawed --- Okay --- Good --- Recommended --- Shouldn’t be Missed

IRONSIDE- Dangerous Encounter - The Chief and Mark go to a small town with a corrupt sheriff (does a small town in late 60s-70s tv ever NOT have a corrupt sheriff?) and they get imprisoned. Kudos to Ironside for crawling out of a house and starting a car--and using a stick for the pedal and almost getting away.

MANNIX - Color Her Missing - A mentor of his is shoved out a window and a lawyer is the suspect. But he says he was far away and a girl he bumped into is his alibi. But she is missing. The lawyer hires Mannix to find her--and he does--but then some kidnappers show up. Mannix has to get out of a car in a garage with the ignition running. He can't open the door so he drives through it.

CANNON To Ride A Tiger -- Cannon is hired to find a missing lawyer who cleared an ex-con of a cop-killing charge. At one point he raids the fridge of the missing and votes down the counselor's choice of beer. John Larch and Ramon Bieri who usually play cops, appear in this episode as...cops.

Escape Into Night. A spooky fantasy children's TV show from the early 1970s about a girl whose drawings take on a life of their own.

Quite creepy in parts, as a number of shows made in the 1970s were, with even the end credits of each episode being rather unsettling. Originally made in colour, only the b&w version remains, but this helps add to the atmosphere of the show.

If you liked Children of the Stones, into the Labyrinth,The Clifton House Mystery, or if you just want to see how scary kid's tv could be in the 1970s, this show is worth checking out (and is available to watch on YouTube)

SARGE - Silent Target - Leslie Nielsen is a dock worker and check forger who is approached by police to become an informant on mob activities. I thought of the Naked Gun as I watched. Perhaps that is why I noticed an odd scene where George Kennedy enters Nielsen's house and is guided to the living room-but we never see the door close--we hear it closing but no one else was there to do. Perhaps it was Nordberg.

ST:TNG season ? Episode 17 Birthright Part 2 a stupendously dull 'Daddy Issue' / 'Klingon Honour' chunk of Star Trek: The Soap Opera that just went on and on - for some reason Part One's B story: Data having Daddy Issue dreams after being zapped by a chunk of overloading alien tech vanished from this 'conclusion' of the story - giving me the idea that the Data story was added to an existing script to pad it out to two episodes.

Highlight of the show was :

vlcsnap-2023-11-20-22h02m12s267.png

HOT ENSIGN BABE GIRL! Yayyyy!

This time she got to stroke a display screen then turn and walk off screen right, cuing a pan to our heroic captain.

vlcsnap-2023-11-20-22h02m15s178.png

She is turning out to be more fun than playing The Babylon 5 Hat Game. (I had great fun for several years spotting the same brown pillbox hat appear episode after episode costuming random background extras - usually in the Zócalo, but other places too.)

I really dislike it when TNG has 2 plots running simultaneously (which happens quite often). It either means that neither gets the full attention it deserves - and so fails in some way - or it wasn't strong enough to stand on its own two feet - which means that it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

The very best episodes are those that have a central theme and stick to it.

I really dislike it when TNG has 2 plots running simultaneously (which happens quite often). It either means that neither gets the full attention it deserves - and so fails in some way - or it wasn't strong enough to stand on its own two feet - which means that it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I don't mind multiple plot episodes - but they are a lot better when the B story helps finish the A story; when the two strands come together in the end and resolve each other. Babylon 5 used to do this a lot - I think it was in the shows Bible that it had to happen - often there would be a C story which was a part of the longer arc.

Basic Soap opera plotting has three story lines on the go at any one time. One rising, one falling, and one in "OMY GOD! You slept with her? - You SLUT! >SLAP<!" mode.

One strand story episodes have to be very well written to get away with it. Klingon Honour "My Father died at Khitomer - You dishonour his name by invoking Khakkh Kha BacKJ GHoo!" bulls**t for 40+ minutes just doesn't do it for me.

Ah, PM, you mean a beginning, a middle and an end. :rolleyes:

Watched two episodes of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia."
Watched season I, Ep. 1. Then, because reviews said that it improved with the Season 2 addition of Danny Devito, watched, II, 1.
Well Devito is actually funny with his manic character, however something that seems to revolve around narcissists enjoying hurting each other did not appeal. Doubt that we'll go back.

My spouse and I have used an episode or two of series with appealing characters, preferably humorous, for unwinding at the very end of the day. We got through MASH!, CHEERS!, The Big Bang Theory and (would you believe) Bones that way. There are several others that we have tried, notably Northern Exposure. (We like it, but our set of DVDs is less than perfect.) Right now also looking at Seaside Hotel (PBS Passport)
We certainly enjoy other styles, but they are for earlier in the evening.

Suggestions?

Last edited: