Series you loved the first book or books but grew tired of or bored with and didn't finish the available books

asp3

Silly con valley guy
I searched for this topic but didn't find it. Apologies if there is already a thread like this.

There are several series I started, was very enthusiastic about after the first book or books but then just didn't finish because I lost interest or got bored by them. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There may be others.

Foundation Trilogy - Asimov

I read the first book as part of a science fiction class in college and loved it but after I started the second book I didn't really get into it as much as the first book.​

Riverworld Series - Farmer

I loved the first two books, especially To You Scattered Bodies Go but The Dark Design didn't do it for me so I stopped part way through it.​

Dune - Herbert

I loved Dune and enjoyed Dune Messiah but Children of Dune lost me and I stopped part way through it.​

I searched for this topic but didn't find it. Apologies if there is already a thread like this.

There are several series I started, was very enthusiastic about after the first book or books but then just didn't finish because I lost interest or got bored by them. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There may be others.

I read the first book as part of a science fiction class in college and loved it but after I started the second book I didn't really get into it as much as the first book.​

Riverworld Series - Farmer

I loved the first two books, especially To You Scattered Bodies Go but The Dark Design didn't do it for me so I stopped part way through it.​

Dune - Herbert

I loved Dune and enjoyed Dune Messiah but Children of Dune lost me and I stopped part way through it.​

I read the first 3 Foundation books . I could get into the number 4

Riverworld falls off dramatically after the first two books. I Didn't finish 3

Dune I and Dune Messiah were great . Children of Dune , not so great.

It'd be quicker to say which series I have finished. And that includes the Foundation Trilogy with its sequels and prequels and all related books. Not finishing the Trilogy is unfathomable to me. However, I also gave up on Riverworld and Dune and most everything else, which I suppose will be unfathomable to some as well. I forget where I stopped but got rid of everything but the first Riverworld. Even though the first two were written in the same way at about the same time, unlike the later installments, the second one started a noticeable drop-off. I think I actually made it to the fifth Dune book but got rid of all but the first three and will probably get rid of the 2nd and 3rd if I ever re-read them.

What about series we did finish but wish we hadn't? For instance, 2001 is great and I'm a fan of 2010 but 2061 was pretty terrible. 3001 was much better, but still not necessary and I only own the first two.

I'll try to add some more later but it's time to go watch Nebraska at Illinois!!!

Personally I liked the first three books that were written in chronologically order from the start: Foundation, Foundation and Empire & Second Foundation.

I didn't like the later tomes that flesh out the story, as they seemed to want to actively link every book he had written into the same universe and was more a cash cow that he could exploit - adding more story to a beloved franchiase. But it also came across (to me) like a pen pushing exercise. I did read Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, and then gave up with Prelude to Foundation, so I practically read them all :)
Dune - Herbert

I think there is an 'Atreides cycle' that ends in God Emperor of Dune, then something different starts with Heretics and Chapterhouse focused on the Bene Gesserit and I believe he was going to reveal what was the big threat that caused the Honoured Matres to flee back into the empire. Unfortunately Frank Herbert died before he could get to that point.

As for new series.....I tend to stay loyal to the end, but also I tend to avoid authors that churn out multi-volume series, so....I'm generally reading standalone novels :)

I am also kinda weary of authors that revisit past successes, of say, a trilogy, with a new trilogy. In my experience this usually ends up with diminishing returns.

I very much liked On a Pale Horse (1983) by Piers Anthony, the first in the "Incarnations of Immortality" series. I thought the second one, Bearing an Hourglass (1984) was very bad, so I gave up on the series after that. Speaking of Anthony, I quickly gave up on the endless Xanth series as well.

Oh, yes. I couldn't get past about the third book in the Xanth series.

I've yet to finish the Wheel of Time series and have no intention of ever completing Song of Ice and Fire if it's ever completed.

I haven't finished the Honor Harrington series although I keep thinking I should at least try one more book.

I know what GRRM's answer would be...

The only series I've ever finished were Foundation (all 7, like J-Sun), the 6 proper Dune books, and the 5 Riverworld books.
I thought I'd finished Wolfe's BotNS, but then found out he wrote more... sigh.

I read the first WoT book, but not the next 14 :)

Oh, yes. I couldn't get past about the third book in the Xanth series.

I've yet to finish the Wheel of Time series and have no intention of ever completing Song of Ice and Fire if it's ever completed.

I haven't finished the Honor Harrington series although I keep thinking I should at least try one more book.
read all honor. where did you stopped reading? can't think of... oh wait. Condition evolution. nice first book, can't stand the rest. normally i quit if i don't like the first so i don't read the others

Okay, 2021 (American, college) football has officially begun and here are some adds.

I'm disregarding series which are continued by others (such as Frederik Pohl's Man Plus having a sequel by "Frederik Pohl and Thomas T. Thomas") and series I liked but below a certain threshold (like Neil R. Jones' Professor Jameson books where I found the first four oddly enjoyable but didn't bother to get the last atypical volume) and I'll try to skip books set in the same milieu but not otherwise strongly related, which usually includes prequel series and such. Also, I'll try not to get into things like Asher's Polity where I have read all of the core Cormac books which actually exist (but little else in the milieu) but expect there to be eventually more that I won't keep up with.

So some that remain are:

Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat. I read the first three in omnibus form and loved them and have read at least one other (with more in the Pile) but I'll probably never read all of them.

Foster's Pip and Flinx. I liked The Tar-Aiym Krang and feel it could have made the start of a great, short, focused series but the next two books were only okay and didn't fill me with the burning desire to read the other fourteen. (I would have been willing to read one or two more, though, if there were only one or two more.)

Pohl's Heechee. Gateway is one of the Greats but sequels were ill-advised. I didn't enjoy them as much and didn't read all of them.

Anthony's Incarnations and Xanth series... and Apprentice Adept (three of seven)... and Bio of a Space Tyrant (five of six). Thanks for the reminder, Victoria... I think. I can't remember how much I really loved the first books (not so much that I didn't eventually get rid of them in a momentary lapse of a book purge I sort of regret) but I did read even more than Victoria before giving up - four or five of the eight of Incarnations and probably a half-dozen of the 44 Xanth books - so I must have liked them to a great enough degree to mention.

Zahn's Cobra and Blackcollar. I very much liked the initial books of each but haven't messed with the belated follow-ups.

Banks' Culture. Except for one awful chapter, I liked Consider Phlebas quite a bit but intensely disliked Player of Games and didn't care much for another couple, so gave up. (That will likely cause some bugged eyes on this board).

Steele's Near Space. Orbital Decay was fantastic (as was the collection Sex and Violence in Zero-G set in the same universe). The sequel was not at all. I persevered through a couple of books that landed somewhere between those extremes but never got around to the somewhat belated last one.

McDevitt's Alex Benedict/Chase Kolpath. A Talent for War was very good and I enjoyed the somewhat different sequels that turned it into a sort of semi-annual mystery series but the seventh book seemed like a nice stopping place, so I did, but McDevitt didn't. I don't rule out getting back to them someday, though. Who knows?

Bova's Mars. I loved the title-novel but didn't enjoy the Return to Mars as much, so haven't read Mars Life (if I'm correct in assuming that's a sequel like it sounds).

Reynolds' Revelation Space. It's not so much the title-novel that I really liked, but the two milieu collections (Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days and Galactic North). Either way, I'll almost certainly never read all the books. (I can't even seem to finish the initial trilogy, having gotten stuck between the second and third, though I still mean to read it in theory.) It's kind of like Hamilton's Confederation, only that's worse because I've only read and enjoyed A Second Chance at Eden but will probably never read any of the bug-crushers that are the actual series.

It occurs to me that there are no series from before the 60s or after 2000 here. For the older ones, it seems they're more often just trilogies or so and I tend to enjoy them more. For the newer ones, I tend to avoid them. I especially dislike it when books are announced by publishers and/or authors as "first in a series" (as they often are) which assumes (a) we like paying full price for pieces of novels and (b) that we'll buy more pieces whether we enjoy the first part or not. Not to mention that it's unlikely we will enjoy just a part that doesn't finish anything.

Older books tended to be complete in themselves and became series when fans cried "More, more!" And that's one part where I'd disagree with you, Venusian Broon. Though, ironically, Campbell did want Foundation to be a series from the start (it's different for stories in magazines), the fans agreed through the 40s. Asimov (again, ironically, in that he was sort of like Doyle with Conan) wanted to stop and eventually did for decades. Then, I believe him when he says he was quite happy to be writing easy non-fiction books and had to be practically forced into writing more SF novels. Then the fans again spoke as Foundation's Edge hit the bestseller lists and won an award so there was little chance of refusing his beloved editors and publishers at Doubleday and turning back then. And I do think that book (like the third Robot novel) is rewarding, though I'd agree with you that, after that, he was mostly focused on welding his series together and they did start to pay relatively diminishing returns.

That does raise a related topic, asp3. I don't know if you'd already planned it but, after threads on lesser-starting series and lesser-ending series, how about starting a thread on something like "What series have you completed and actually enjoyed to a high degree from start to finish?" :)

Reassuringly similar experiences with many already mentioned:
Riverword, Dune, Xanth, Incarnations of Immortality, Stainless Steel Rat, Alex Benedict.

I only read the first books in the Wheel of Time, and Clan of the Cavebear series, but since I found them ridiculous I dont think they really belong on this list.

I didn't like the later tomes that flesh out the story, as they seemed to want to actively link every book he had written into the same universe and was more a cash cow that he could exploit - adding more story to a beloved franchiase. But it also came across (to me) like a pen pushing exercise. I did read Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, and then gave up with Prelude to Foundation, so I practically read them all
I think it was in the foreword for Foundation’s Edge where Asimov more or less admits that it was the size of the advance offered that finally persuaded him to write it. Full marks to him for his honesty but, as a young and somewhat idealistic fan I found it disheartening. Of course, I know writers need to make a living but, like the making of sausages and laws, it’s best not to be reminded of such things:)

Harry Turtledove's Invasion books. I read the Colonisation trilogy and really enjoyed them but the books kept coming and i kept buying. I stopped reading them.

Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series tended to be the same thing over and over again. I thoroughly enjoyed what i read, but after the main story finished and he went after the aliens, i came to the conclusion that they were essentially going to be the same. Maybe i should try and start over with the second series.

I got bored with the Honor Harrington series when they got bogged down with politics. (Same with Tom Clancy's books)

For some reason, i could never get into Iain M. Banks's non-Culture Science Fiction books, so Against A Dark Background, The State of the Art and the Algebraist remain unfinished.

Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series tended to be the same thing over and over again. I thoroughly enjoyed what i read, but after the main story finished and he went after the aliens, i came to the conclusion that they were essentially going to be the same. Maybe i should try and start over with the second series.
That's one of the things I was thinking of when it comes to milieu books and prequels because I gave up when he started the fourth sub-series (just too much of a good thing and I don't like prequels in principle) but I actually read all three of the first: Lost Fleet, Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, and Lost Stars. I loved Lost Fleet. I suppose I'm glad I stuck with Beyond the Frontier but it depends on how much you liked the first series - it's not as good, but it's reasonably close. So if you really, really liked the first, it'd probably be worth it but might not be if you only really liked it. :) I did enjoy the Lost Stars, though - that was different, being set in a former Syndic world and only having a cameo or two of Geary, himself. It has flaws such as a kind of schematic and not entirely plausible political change, but it was interesting and exciting with some colorful characters and some nice ideas.

The Dirk Pitt adventures by Clive Cussler.
Read the first ten and really enjoyed them.
They were no-brainer thrillers, something to relax with on the beach.
But they started to get a bit too silly so I stopped after "Sahara", the film they made out of it is worth a look!

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
The first book a strong start! Great / interesting characters with a unique plot full of mysteries we find some answers to through out the novel. I couldn't wait to pick up the 2nd and 3rd books. Sadly the 2nd is a massive drop in quality and I couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing. Sadly Vandermeer fails to capture what I loved so much about the first throughout book 2-3 to the point where I can barely remember what happened.

The Dragon Champion by E.E Knight
suffers from a similar fate. The first book was a strong entry with an interesting world and a unique perspective (taking place from a dragons PoV). The later books never quite capture the magic again.

I'm sure there's more series but these two are definitely top of my mind as the first books were some of my favourite writings.

"The Wheel of Time". Loved the first couple. By the fifth, I was all "Is anything else actually going to happen, like, evah? Who were all these people again, and why should I care about any of them?" This was at the point when six or seven books were out, so I'm glad I didn't plough on with it. It left me with a lasting dread of ten-volume fantasy epics. Much as I love expansive worldbuilding, I just can't face all the midquels. I liked the one volume I've read of "Shadows of the Apt" and the two of "Malazan Book of the Fallen". But Deadhouse Gates was already showing worrying signs of midquelitis....

"The Wheel of Time". Loved the first couple. By the fifth, I was all "Is anything else actually going to happen, like, evah? Who were all these people again, and why should I care about any of them?" This was at the point when six or seven books were out, so I'm glad I didn't plough on with it. It left me with a lasting dread of ten-volume fantasy epics. Much as I love expansive worldbuilding, I just can't face all the midquels. I liked the one volume I've read of "Shadows of the Apt" and the two of "Malazan Book of the Fallen". But Deadhouse Gates was already showing worrying signs of midquelitis....
i'm sorry, 10? it's eleven and that's just robert jordan. but hey, there's a new tv series

I read the first 2 Malazan books but was just not bothered to continue, too many characters, too many characters that have name changes, and a series that has multiple stories.