Essential Reference Books

J-Sun

For those who like books, what sorts of reference books do you consider essential and do you have any favorite examples? All I can think of is

dictionary
thesaurus
grammar/composition
style (maybe, if counted separately from the above)
(desk) encylopedia
almanac
atlas

I mean, there are innumerable reference works but I mean the things you'd put in the first desert island tier or whatever. Any types to add? Or do you find some of the above list less important?

Merriam-Webster Dictionary, The Careful Writer (grammar) by Theodore M. Bernstein is pretty good, Encyclopedia Britannica and World Book Encyclopedia.

Last edited:
I guess you meant within the context of "writing resources"? Because I have never bought a new dictionary, atlas or encyclopaedia since I bought an internet connected computer in 2000. With exceptions, online resources are generally more up to date and more comprehensive. I still have a dictionary, thesaurus, atlas and encyclopaedia, but never use them.

Obviously, you do need to be more careful with accuracy by only using credible and reputable online sources, but without mentioning them by name the big players in internet searches and maps fit that bill, and their are plenty of academic sources and published dictionaries that are now online. Even the most popular online encyclopaedia is ditching its reputation for inaccuracy, although I would always check the sources of any information given there. For dictionaries there are also urban dictionaries of slang and translation facilities that if in a traditional published dictionary would require several book shelves to hold them.

On the other hand, for a writer, there will be published works, still in copyright, that cannot be found online. They may want to quote or reference those and will need a printed copy of the work. For me, any vital, required reference books would similarly be those containing materials that I am unable to find online. Even for my local history, family history and genealogical research, the amount of records and materials that are now digitised is astounding. I could never have a library that large. The only reference book that I would recommend would be The Oxford companion to Local and Family History. Obviously, there are still many historical documents that are not digitised. I expect that in some niche hobby areas or niche subjects then there also must still be information that has not yet been digitised, and where a particular revered reference book is still the only place to find that information, but the ability to search and cross-reference with links makes any online source far more useful than a book or a filling cabinet.

However, there still are reference books that I do consider absolutely essential. These would be animal and plant ID guides and maps. When outside without WiFi and with limited mobile phone reception these come into their own and I ways carry my bird and insect ID charts when out walking. I would strongly suggest never relying solely of technology when walking too. Online maps and GPS gadgets are wonderful, but when you lose signal and dense fog descends all around you, you will wish you had a compass and a paper map with you. The only other reference books that I ever buy or carry with me would be tourist Travel Guides and The CAMRA Good Beer Guide.

Of course, on a desert island, I'd still need all of the above.

As a reader, I occasionally find use for, or momentary pleasant distraction from, The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and The Encyclopedia of Fantasy.

As a wannabe-writer, I also consider reference works the writing of writers about writing. (Feel free to unscramble that.) How writers percieve writing often gives me perspective on their writing as well as on the works of the writers they love (or loathe).

For those who like books, what sorts of reference books do you consider essential and do you have any favorite examples? All I can think of is

dictionary
thesaurus
grammar/composition
style (maybe, if counted separately from the above)
(desk) encylopedia
almanac
atlas

I mean, there are innumerable reference works but I mean the things you'd put in the first desert island tier or whatever. Any types to add? Or do you find some of the above list less important?
Good list. I dont look at almanacs very much now ( remember Whittaker’s, or Pears?).
In dictionaries I would add a Welsh-English dictionary and also a Welsh grammar.

A complete set of the Fortean Times.

My collection only starts at 147 I think, but I'm up to 405 currently. You can get alot of it electronically, and they are trying to make an index for the whole lot.

I guess you meant within the context of "writing resources"? Because I have never bought a new dictionary, atlas or encyclopaedia since I bought an internet connected computer in 2000.
Not necessarily - whether you write fiction or non-fiction or just want to look stuff up. :) And I meant specifically physical books. (Or at least discrete e-books and not the internet generally.)
These and some others are good adds.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary, The Careful Writer (grammar) by Theodore M. Bernstein is pretty good, Encyclopedia Britannica and World Book Encyclopedia.
And these and some others are good specifics.
As a reader, I occasionally find use for, or momentary pleasant distraction from, The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and The Encyclopedia of Fantasy.
These are a little more niche (to me) than I was thinking but I do have these and they are essential (to me). :)

A thesaurus is an invaluable tool , especially with the limited word Challenges on this forum. It feels like magic when you find one word that can replace three.

Back