Possible Advice for an Aspiring Writer

Geovux

Geovux
Hello, I am currently working on my most promising writing project to date. However, I am unsure how I should proceed with scheduling time to work on it, seeing as I am a senior in college, and what method I should take with sharing/publishing the story. I plan on posting it on my Wattpad account but does anyone has any other advice, I am open to suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

I suppose scheduling will depend on what else you have to do, but an hour a day wouldn't be unreasonable if you are keen on getting the words out. If you can, choose a set time that will work for most days and if you suffer distractions easily, turn off the phone, disconnect the internet, etc.

We are in the same boat, you and I. I'm also an aspiring writer, and I am a senior in law school.

In regards to scheduling, I think the best approach is to write a little bit everyday. If you write a page a day, you'll have 365 pages in a year (totally not stolen from Stephen King's On Writing). You can try to fullfil a quota of words or pages per day, or you can write as many words as you can in a given time. See what fits best for you. Personally, I think that you should sit down for, say, an hour or two every day like I do, or have a small amount of words as a goal. If you try to go with more than 2,000 a day, you'll spend a lot of time and get frustraded. If you cut unnecessary things like social media any stuff you'll be able to have the time.

Although I did try, I never became succesful in wattpad. I published some chapters of an abandoned novel, some short-stories, and quit when I didn't see it paying off. If you want to go through that path, publish one chapter a week, and market it actively. You could also engage in contests. However, I'd strongly recommend Amazon KDP instead. Wattpad is infamous for the low-quality content and, unless you manage to get tens of thousands of followers there, you'll earn no money nor opportunities to publish traditionally. It'll be a waste of your time.

Hello, I am currently working on my most promising writing project to date. However, I am unsure how I should proceed with scheduling time to work on it, seeing as I am a senior in college, and what method I should take with sharing/publishing the story. I plan on posting it on my Wattpad account but does anyone has any other advice, I am open to suggestions. Thanks, everyone!

Hmm. I never heard of Wattpad before reading your message. It looks interesting, but the message from alexvss suggests it could also be a trap. I just published my book on Amazon. Except for the copyrighting fee I paid the US government, it was free. However, no one but me and Amazon knows about it. My problem is figuring out how to promote it. On Wattad, how do you create a "fan base" before you do the writing?

As for your question of finding time to write, you have to make time and focus. You have to figure out how to do it. No one else can do it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember these words. The first thing you have to learn is to be very patient. When you are thirty, continue to be patient. When you are forty, you should be even more patient. When you are fifty, it will be clear to you that everything is in patience. At the end of the road, or be successful, which is the problem that knocks them down by thousands before starting, you end up understanding that it was not even about writing, but about being happy with what you were doing, whatever it was. Writing is actually a lot like learning martial arts. We must end this obsession with the immediate, that of finishing a story and running to show it. When you play soccer, obviously the idea on the pitch is to score, to win the game. But after, does it matter? What you want is to play another game. Writing is about that. A person discovers that she really is a writer because she is able to finish a 200k novel and after putting in the word "End" she is still thinking of continuing to write something else. It's like watering the plants, something you do every day. Except after a few years you say, "Wow, this beast is taller than me."
By the way, welcome. Assuming you're still with us tomorrow. Patience. :giggle:

I'd say the main thing is to keep it up. I wrote my first novel draft in my A levels. Trying another one age 34 with a job and family responsabilities is a whole differnet ballgame. I'm trying to write 300 words a day, which means i manage it most days, and some days I have a bit longer or the words are flowing and I write more. But the more often you sit down and write the more your brain will get the m essage and c huck the words out.

Hmm. I never heard of Wattpad before reading your message. It looks interesting, but the message from alexvss suggests it could also be a trap. I just published my book on Amazon. Except for the copyrighting fee I paid the US government, it was free. However, no one but me and Amazon knows about it. My problem is figuring out how to promote it. On Wattad, how do you create a "fan base" before you do the writing?

As for your question of finding time to write, you have to make time and focus. You have to figure out how to do it. No one else can do it for you.
Yes, the idea is you create a fan base first. It used to be very effective — Wattpad — but now it’s more saturated. On another note, for those reading the thread, copyright does not need to be paid for or sought in the U.K. (nor, even, legally in US but a lot of US writers do copyright for safety)

This...

Wattpad is infamous for the low-quality content and, unless you manage to get tens of thousands of followers there, you'll earn no money nor opportunities to publish traditionally. It'll be a waste of your time.

For observations on Wattpad and the like, take a look at this thread: Opinions on Wattpad, Inkitt, and Similar Apps/Sites

My own experience was that I tried Wattpad for a while, primarily as a way to build audience, and rapidly came to the same conclusion as @alexvss that it was a waste of time. My impression was that it was heavily geared towards YA, Fanfic and Romance/Erotica, or any combination thereof, and a teens-to-twenties demographic.

This...

For observations on Wattpad and the like, take a look at this thread: Opinions on Wattpad, Inkitt, and Similar Apps/Sites

My own experience was that I tried Wattpad for a while, primarily as a way to build audience, and rapidly came to the same conclusion as @alexvss that it was a waste of time. My impression was that it was heavily geared towards YA, Fa

If I were to post my writings, even in there draft forms, would it be a safe space to get some feedback?

If I were to post my writings, even in there draft forms, would it be a safe space to get some feedback?
I don't think so. Wattpad readers aren't willing to give constructive feedback, they simply want to read. They'll say things like 'I loved this' or 'I hated this', not something you can learn from. For feedback, you can use this forum for shorter pieces or you can enroll in one of the various workshops out there. But this would make you spend a lot of time and effort.

Being an author isn't just about writing. You've identified three areas already: marketing (getting noticed), revision (feedback), and drafting (the actual writing).

My own recommendation is to do the last first and don't worry about the other two. Write the book. Forget about marketing and feedback, just write the book. You have plenty of other commitments, so also finish college etc.

Once you have written a book (or short story) and feel it is presentable to others, it will take no more than a few days to find beta readers. Be warned: if you ask me to read your book, I'm either going to charge you money for my time or I'm going to ask that you read mine. If you get five beta readers you've now committed yourself to reading five books and providing thoughtful feedback on each. It's not trivial.

As for marketing, there will be no end to study and experimentation and angst. It can be a real time suck, but there's no sense in marketing until you have something to sell. Lots of people want to hear stories. Few want to hear ideas for stories.

So, really, the advice is simple. Write. Get all the way to finished. Concentrate on that. And maybe leave a little time for school. <g>

Echoing @sknox, you can't do anything with a piece of fiction (novel or short story) until it's finished. Obtaining feedback, finding an agent or publisher (or self-publishing) and all the other issues associated with getting your work 'out there' are entirely separate challenges which can often render the actual writing the easiest part of the process!

I have always written part time due to my non-writing career demands, which caused me some anxiety and frustration for a number of years. But these days I plod along, try to get one or two writing sessions in at the weekend - but don't worry if I can't - and I can turn out a novel every 18 months or so in a completely relaxed way.

What could I expect if I were to share my writings on this platform, for feedback, would it be safe, constructive, supportive?

What could I expect if I were to share my writings on this platform, for feedback, would it be safe, constructive, supportive?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "safe" -- there wouldn't be any abuse or flaming or anything of that kind, if that's what is worrying you. Everyone here critiques in a different way, so some of us tend to point out mistakes rather than give praise that we might not think is warranted, but no one here will be aggressive or unpleasant, because that simply isn't allowed. But while Chrons is very supportive of all writers of all abilities, to be useful a critique must be honest, so there might not be a lot of sugar-coating in what is said by way of feedback.

As .matthew. suggests, have a look at the recent threads in Critiques and you'll see the kind of critiques that are given by different members on very different extracts. You've plenty of time to get to know how people critique here and who we are -- only members with over 30 counted posts can put up a thread in Critiques, so it isn't yet open to you.

To get back to your opening post, when it comes to "sharing/publishing the story" it does depend on what you hope to gain by sharing it. If it's simply that you've written something and you want the world to see it, then presumably this Wattpad is as good as anywhere for just getting it out and forgetting it ie "publishing" in a wider sense, and we also have an area here where supporting members can post stories and the like for that purpose. However, if you want feedback on the story, so as to improve your writing, then if you're not part of a writing group, Critiques is your best option as and when you have the requisite posts. Publishing in the narrow sense of being published/self-publishing one's work with a view to selling it is a very different matter, though, and my advice is to put that to one side until you've had feedback on this and your other work, always bearing in mind that sharing too much for free of a story may prevent you getting paid for it later.

In my experience wattpad is a place to read not get feedback that might help you improve. They say things like 'I love/like this" and "you're an amazing writer!". Then you join a writing forum, full of confidence, post some work and it gets pulled apart and you end up confused. So just bare that in mind.

My overall advise would be to read.
1) Read even in the genres you're not writing in. Read books of merit and see what is lacking in the genre; are there any holes you could fill that haven't been fully covered? Also, analysis what you have read. What worked and why? What didn't and why. Deconstruct the book and characters. Think about the pacing. How were slower more mundane scenes handled? How was tension increased?
2) Write every day. Even if it's only 500 words of nonsense. Just discipline yourself. And even if Horror is your favourite genre say, do a few short pieces in every genre. Things can be combined.
3) Get feedback! This is important is you're looking to do something with your writing. Others can highlight your strengths and weaknesses. When you get no feedback and don't know what you're doing right/wrong you just continue and may never notice.
4) Learn your craft. That includes learning to edit and the business itself.

Allow your first draft to be terrible. I posted some work a few years ago that was utterly terrible. There was a very experienced writer, who luckily for me, stumbled upon my crap. He sent me a private email asking to "weave some magic on it". I said ok. He edited and re-drafted it for me, outlining and explaining everything he was doing and sent it back to me. It was amazing! And he said to me: "See the really magic happens in the editing. Learning to edit and re-draft is your secret weapon so learn it and use it."

I hope this helps

Further to TJ's post, I took "safe" here to mean: is it safe from being stolen, infringed upon, nicked, pilfered, half-inched etc. If this is what you mean, then yes, it most certainly is safe to post your work up here without fear of it being stolen. Copyright occurs upon publication - even when posting a short extract upon the web in a critiques forum. It's timestamped to your profile.

In any case I'm sure there are a few unscrupulous types out there who are looking for ideas to steal but I've never met any. Most real writers are writing what they want to write, not what somebody else does.

Last edited:
If by safe you mean you won’t get hurt in the process - it depends on your level of resilience to critique, but if you post something to the effect you’re very new, we’re normally gentle. Also, read over the crits board and work our whose advice you think is good - these are the people to listen to. That means if some eejit turns up and rips it to shreds you can ignore it.
if by safe you mean it won’t get stolen - no public forum can guarantee that, but the instances are very rare (I’ve never seen it happen) and, as Dan says, copyright comes into play.
is it more likely you’ll get supportive feedback and a bit more nurturing than on Wattpad. I think so.