Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I’ve been watching John Carpenter’s Apocalypse Trilogy and these are my thoughts.
I’m a fan of Carpenter’s work but I’m not a fanboy. I’m not blind to his film making faults. So here we go.

Three unrelated movies they might be, but they have a common theme and that’s the end of the world, not with a bang but through gradual decay of what we perceive to be reality.

The movies are: The Thing, Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness. They might seem very different from each other but strip away the flesh and you find very similar skeletons underneath. They all, for instance, rely on a claustrophobic atmosphere to up the ante. Trapped and isolated in Antarctica with an alien able to mimic any living thing in the case of The Thing. Trapped in an old, abandoned church with the threat of an anti-god seeking to break into our world in the case of Prince Of Darkness. Or trapped in a small, New England town populated by crazies with seemingly no way out.

The Thing works very well. It stays reasonably close to its source material and has a pretty good dynamic running through the various characters. Suspicion and terror are rife and grow almost exponentially as the threat of what this creature could accomplish if it ever reached civilisation is revealed. It could absorb and replicate every man, woman and child it comes into contact with until there is nothing left of the Human race. Not only that, but if it ever managed to replicate an aquatic animal or maybe a bird, it could make its own way to civilisation. The tension builds until, by the end of the movie, even the audience can’t be sure who is human and who is not.

The threat of the end of the world comes with a creeping, gradual subversion. When will our reality be gone? Extrapolating, we would reach a point in the future when nobody knows if they are the only human left. Do they even know that they are an alien copy? This film bites into our sense of self. It shakes our notion of who we are and attacks all that makes us feel real.

The Thing, in my opinion, stands alongside Alien and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (a movie with a very similar premise) as the pinnacle of Science Fiction horror of its time. One of Carpenter’s great triumphs in movie making.

Moving swiftly along….Prince Of Darkness. This is a film that seeks to fit our concept of godhood and the embodiment of good or evil into our world with the aid quantum mechanics. As in the anti particles of quantum physics, we have the idea of an anti god seeking to enter our reality.
It starts off well enough as our heroes/heroines gather in the old church where, hidden from the eyes of ordinary folk, the Catholic Church has guarded a container filled with what can only be described as the essence of evil.
Unfortunately, the movie tapers off halfway through into a hack-fest. A fighting retreat from room to room ensues as the servants of this evil, intent on fulfilling their purpose, attack the ever dwindling band of investigators. We know that if the anti-god can be brought into our reality, it’s the end for all of us.

At this point, with all the panic and fighting to survive mindless minions, it has more in common with Night Of The Living Dead than Quatermass (which, apparently was the inspiration for this film). It’s a film I kind of enjoy but wish it could be better. I get the distinct impression that Carpenter started off with a good idea but just couldn’t seem to develop it enough. Any of us who have tried our hand at a bit of writing can relate to this.

In its favour, I think it carries some interesting observations. It challenges reality by showing how those with power and influence (in this case, the anti-god) can manipulate and control those who do not. They can do this to such an extent that it appears to change what we see as reality. Even in our own times, this comment is still all too relevant. Carpenter revisited and developed this idea further in his wonderful dark SF comedy They Live.

Overall, interesting but a lot of unfulfilled potential in Prince Of Darkness.

In The Mouth Of Madness.
An insurance investigator is tasked with finding a missing writer and his manuscript that is due for publication. Strange happenings ensue in this nod to all things Lovecraftian. He eventually finds himself in a weird little town not on any map. By mid-movie, he constantly seeks to leave Hobb’s End but always ends up back there.

From the old hotel owner with her naked husband chained to her ankle to all the weird little kids and ever changing painting, we know that this is a new reality. And this, of course, is the theme. Reality is a consensus fed by what we know and learn. Information. It is, in essence, what we agree it to be and if we decide to agree it’s different then different it becomes. That change comes by reading the book and seeing the world in a different light. The more people that read the book, the more things change. As the world slowly morphs into the book that, by now, millions are reading, moral decay and panic ensue. The end comes through, not only the physical horrors unleashed but at the hands of our own subsequent madness.

I think, like Prince Of Darkness doesn’t quite deliver but it’s certainly not a bad movie.

For all their faults Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness are still worth watching and it’s interesting watching all three back to back because it does help see and understand the common thread running through them.

Most folk consider Halloween his best and I can see why. It practically started its own genre. But for me, The Thing is Carpenter’s true masterpiece.

I’ve been watching John Carpenter’s Apocalypse Trilogy and these are my thoughts.
I’m a fan of Carpenter’s work but I’m not a fanboy. I’m not blind to his film making faults. So here we go.

Three unrelated movies they might be, but they have a common theme and that’s the end of the world, not with a bang but through gradual decay of what we perceive to be reality.

The movies are: The Thing, Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness. They might seem very different from each other but strip away the flesh and you find very similar skeletons underneath. They all, for instance, rely on a claustrophobic atmosphere to up the ante. Trapped and isolated in Antarctica with an alien able to mimic any living thing in the case of The Thing. Trapped in an old, abandoned church with the threat of an anti-god seeking to break into our world in the case of Prince Of Darkness. Or trapped in a small, New England town populated by crazies with seemingly no way out.

The Thing works very well. It stays reasonably close to its source material and has a pretty good dynamic running through the various characters. Suspicion and terror are rife and grow almost exponentially as the threat of what this creature could accomplish if it ever reached civilisation is revealed. It could absorb and replicate every man, woman and child it comes into contact with until there is nothing left of the Human race. Not only that, but if it ever managed to replicate an aquatic animal or maybe a bird, it could make its own way to civilisation. The tension builds until, by the end of the movie, even the audience can’t be sure who is human and who is not.

The threat of the end of the world comes with a creeping, gradual subversion. When will our reality be gone? Extrapolating, we would reach a point in the future when nobody knows if they are the only human left. Do they even know that they are an alien copy? This film bites into our sense of self. It shakes our notion of who we are and attacks all that makes us feel real.

The Thing, in my opinion, stands alongside Alien and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (a movie with a very similar premise) as the pinnacle of Science Fiction horror of its time. One of Carpenter’s great triumphs in movie making.

I have a love/hate relationship with The Thing since one of my favorite s.f. movies is The Thing (From Another World), the 1950s attempt at filming Campbell's novella. There's a potential in Carpenter's movie that I don't feel was adequately tapped. In Americans there's this push-me-pull-you quality of individualism vs. social interaction/cooperation. Carpenter's shaggy, solitary, arcade game playing group in The Thing is more like a more surly, disgruntled version of the crew from M*A*S*H (movie) than like Campbell's quiet, competent and weirdly individualistic scientists. This makes The Thing very much a post-Vietnam movie, and I find that lack of cohesion among the group lessens its impact. There should be a stronger emotional gut-punch when looking at your friends and colleagues, the people your survival depends on, and wondering if that is still the person you've worked with daily. Along with fear, there should be some sadness. And I don't really get that from the movie. The cohesion of the group in the earlier movie (a post WWII movie) would have made the threat from Carpenter's alien even more wrenching. And I think the Carpenter from Assault on Precinct 13 and Halloween understood that dynamic.

Moving swiftly along….Prince Of Darkness. This is a film that seeks to fit our concept of godhood and the embodiment of good or evil into our world with the aid quantum mechanics. As in the anti particles of quantum physics, we have the idea of an anti god seeking to enter our reality.
It starts off well enough as our heroes/heroines gather in the old church where, hidden from the eyes of ordinary folk, the Catholic Church has guarded a container filled with what can only be described as the essence of evil.
Unfortunately, the movie tapers off halfway through into a hack-fest. A fighting retreat from room to room ensues as the servants of this evil, intent on fulfilling their purpose, attack the ever dwindling band of investigators. We know that if the anti-god can be brought into our reality, it’s the end for all of us.

At this point, with all the panic and fighting to survive mindless minions, it has more in common with Night Of The Living Dead than Quatermass (which, apparently was the inspiration for this film). It’s a film I kind of enjoy but wish it could be better. I get the distinct impression that Carpenter started off with a good idea but just couldn’t seem to develop it enough. Any of us who have tried our hand at a bit of writing can relate to this.

In its favour, I think it carries some interesting observations. It challenges reality by showing how those with power and influence (in this case, the anti-god) can manipulate and control those who do not. They can do this to such an extent that it appears to change what we see as reality. Even in our own times, this comment is still all too relevant. Carpenter revisited and developed this idea further in his wonderful dark SF comedy They Live.

I need to re-watch this. It's been years. All I recall is liking it.

In The Mouth Of Madness.
An insurance investigator is tasked with finding a missing writer and his manuscript that is due for publication. Strange happenings ensue in this nod to all things Lovecraftian. He eventually finds himself in a weird little town not on any map. By mid-movie, he constantly seeks to leave Hobb’s End but always ends up back there.

From the old hotel owner with her naked husband chained to her ankle to all the weird little kids and ever changing painting, we know that this is a new reality. And this, of course, is the theme. Reality is a consensus fed by what we know and learn. Information. It is, in essence, what we agree it to be and if we decide to agree it’s different then different it becomes. That change comes by reading the book and seeing the world in a different light. The more people that read the book, the more things change. As the world slowly morphs into the book that, by now, millions are reading, moral decay and panic ensue. The end comes through, not only the physical horrors unleashed but at the hands of our own subsequent madness.

I think, like Prince Of Darkness doesn’t quite deliver but it’s certainly not a bad movie.

For all their faults Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness are still worth watching and it’s interesting watching all three back to back because it does help see and understand the common thread running through them.

I think we can celebrate these movies as ambitious if not entirely successful ...

Most folk consider Halloween his best and I can see why. It practically started its own genre. But for me, The Thing is Carpenter’s true masterpiece.

... while Halloween is a strikingly well-shot, well-edited, well-acted, well-orchestrated little thriller, entirely successful at achieving its aims, if not as ambitious in its scope. It's the product of a director and crew with a sharp focus on a defined story/plot, and the means to put that on film efficiently. I've watched it a dozen times and I'm always impressed by how neat and economical it is, with little of the gore that the later imitators slathered on their productions, but what gore there is gains effectiveness from the viewers' identification with Laurie and her friends, and concern for them and the children.

Randy M.

Of the three, I have only seen The Thing, which is a genuine masterpiece and one of my favour movies.

I shall make an effort to watch the other two.

In The Mouth Of Madness.

Thanks for the review Foxbat. It brought those movies back into focus for me. I enjoyed all three. Prince of Darkness was a favourite of mine and coincided with my late teenage Heavy Metal years.

Yes! Three great films - I do recognise The Thing as the technically best one, but I prefer ITMOM. POD has a wonderfully nihilistic vibe.

My favourite JC film by far is The Fog but I’m not sure how much that is informed by the soundtrack.

Ahoy, maties....

The Thing is a brilliant movie. I actually watched Prince of Darkness for the first time recently, and was incredibly disappointed by it. I put it down to not standing the test of time.

Second favourite Carpenter movie is Escape From New York , which I've always admired. In fact his first 9 movies from Dark Star through to Big Trouble are all brilliant films in their own way. Things start to gradually go downhill after that though.

Best thing about Carpenter's movies though are the incredible soundtracks.

I love The Thing - one of my favourite films. I enjoy some of Carpenter's other films, but none quite hit the same heights as that one. I wasn't crazy on In The Mouth of Madness and I'm yet to see Prince of Darkness.

I have a love/hate relationship with The Thing since one of my favorite s.f. movies is The Thing (From Another World), the 1950s attempt at filming Campbell's novella.

I've been fascinated with how that film might have been had it gone down the shape-shifting route (which I believe was the original intent). I've been working on a project for quite some time now that reimagines Carpenter's The Thing as if it were made in the 1950's. AKA reframing it, putting it in black and white, removing any cursing or gratuitous violence, rescoring it with music from the period etc..

Interesting. I recall reading somewhere that Howard Hawks wanted to go the shape-shifting route but didn't have the special effects to pull it off. I do see the two versions as being very post-WWII and extremely post-Vietnam.

Interesting. I recall reading somewhere that Howard Hawks wanted to go the shape-shifting route but didn't have the special effects to pull it off. I do see the two versions as being very post-WWII and extremely post-Vietnam.

This surprises me. Even without computers and more modern technology, the movie industry was incredibly adept at rigging up scenes to make them look authentic. If you can have a bat turning into a man or a man into a wolf, they should have been capable of an alien transferring from one shape into another. And even if you don't see it directly, switching camera angle to the shadow of a shape morphing could have been done equally (if not more) effectively.

I agree that the original 'The Thing' is up there with 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' for post-WWII cold war paranoia.

I recently saw a documentary on Carpenter and, apparently, he’s been touring performing his music. I wonder if he uses clips from his movies during the performance? If he does, I’d jump at the chance to go see him.

It’s extremely rare (I think) to find a director also so very capable of producing his own evocative soundtracks. It turns out his father was a composer and it seems some of this has skill has rubbed off on the son.:)

Of the three, I have only seen The Thing... I shall make an effort to watch the other two.
Me too, and I haven't seen Halloween either! (I didn't think it would be my thing). But I will root out the other two and watch them now, thanks.

However, I have seen Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape from New York and Escape from L.A. Aren't those considered to be "Apocalypse" films (certainly the latter two). Who decides that those three films are an "Apocalypse Trilogy"? All his films have that theme of a "gradual decay of what we perceive to be reality."

The kind of tension that you describe being built up is very evident in Assault on Precinct 13 (my first introduction to John Carpenter). The more recent remake totally fails on doing the same and is ****.

Escape from New York is one of my favourite films. Who can not like Kurt Russell as Snake Plsken? Unfortunately, Escape from L.A. was just an attempt at a money making cash in.

The music certainly complements his films very well.

This surprises me. Even without computers and more modern technology, the movie industry was incredibly adept at rigging up scenes to make them look authentic. If you can have a bat turning into a man or a man into a wolf, they should have been capable of an alien transferring from one shape into another. And even if you don't see it directly, switching camera angle to the shadow of a shape morphing could have been done equally (if not more) effectively.

As I recall, it was a quick statement without much detail. Hawks may not have wanted to go the Val Lewton route, and showing the shape-shifting more directly might have been too costly. Remember, this was probably a relatively low budget movie. No big name stars, mostly stage sets with a few outdoor shots and Hawks didn't want to direct (or, at least didn't want director credit) because he was wary of directing an s.f. movie being viewed as a come-down from directing movies like I Was a Male Warbride, The Big Sleep, Red River, etc.

I agree that the original 'The Thing' is up there with 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' for post-WWII cold war paranoia.

Yes, that, but also the camaraderie and can-do attitude of the soldiers. The movie kind of has a split personality: Optimism and confidence born of having won the war and gained the power (political, economic, etc.) that comes from victory versus the fear of spreading communism and the American view that it quashed individuality and absorbed people into an amorphous system making them indistinguishable cogs in that system.

I really liked The Fog. I had low expectations because I hadn't seen it rated as one of his better films, but I think it's up there. Really effective and entertaining. Wonderfully shot.

Back