One Anatomically Impossible Memory Scrap from Sheckleyesque Story

Ravensquawk

Well-Honed Member
But not necessarily Sheckley's story 'cause I haven't found it yet.

This forum has been great for finding stories a tad less known than the stories everyone asks about (The Last Question, The Star, Rain, All Summer In a Day), so I wish to put this rather unforgettable scrap of memory out there.

It surprised me how much detail you can supply about a story even remembering only one short passage from it.
Not even how it ended. But -- here goes.

Media: Short story anthology, paperback

Read: By early 1980s; probably a 1970s or 1960s story

Major themes: Alien contact by direct mental communication, hostile intent

Setting: USA metropolitan area, sounded like New York City.

Characters: Told either in first person by one man, or in omniscient third person like "Recording Angel" -- the reader knows his thoughts and emotional reactions

Language: English

Target audience/age group: Adult. It only alluded to the adult language.

Cover: No memory of it, but this wouldn’t be on it!

Ideas that I have already ruled out: Haven’t ruled out anything that fits this type of story.

Plot (as much as I can remember): Only that the protagonist was hearing alien communications. Probably by direct mental contact, rather than radio, and not like the Vogons causing every metal object on the planet to vibrate as a speaker. Direct mental contact is likely for this other reason: the aliens could forcefully control his actions against his will.

Which brings me to the only part of the story I can remember:

His narrative is something like:

“They then made their point clear by controlling my actions. They controlled my voluntary muscles, which were for me no longer voluntary. They had me performing, by demonstration, a common saying which everyone had always thought anatomically impossible. No strength of my will could change my own actions. They then released their control of me, said, ‘If you don’t cooperate with us, we can have you doing that in the Bloomingdale’s window at high noon.’”

It may be an obscure story in both the print world and my memory, but one never forgets a thing like that.

I forget which famous department store it was, though. Wouldn’t matter which one, would it?

It just sounds like something Robert Sheckley would have written. I’ve looked over lists of his short stories, but no giveaways in the title.

Harlan Ellison would have printed the phrase directly. But that would actually diminish its rather horrifying saber-edge effectiveness with a bludgeon.

That causes me to think that this story’s phrasing was actually a tad too subtle for Ellison’s gory verbal H-bombs. (Or F-bombs, come to think of it.)

Robert Bloch could have written something like that. Some of his SF short stories are among the wittiest I’ve read, with more puns than an episode of M.A.S.H. But I think his horror is, well, more deadly. He doesn’t waste effort on embarrassing people when he can off them nastily. Going over anthologies of his stories is not bringing any memories. Well, lots of great memories, but none that match.

Similar phrases in the Unz review search bring up interesting stuff, but so far no science fiction short story.

If this story is found, I could bet a C-note to a pig’s butt you’ll never forget that part of it either.

Get back to me on that.

Last edited:
Have you posted this question elsewhere online?
I'm sure I've saw it (or similar) somewhere in the last few weeks

Similar phrases in the Unz review search bring up interesting stuff, but so far no science fiction short story.
Which phrases have you tried?

I find using only two or three words brings back quite a few suggestions

For instance 'anatomically impossible' gets

Also, that narrative is ringing some bells with me. Like you say: once read never forgotten :LOL:

Found out why it's ringing bells

Is it "Passengers" by Robert Silverberg?

Have you posted this question elsewhere online?
Hi Danny,
Never posted it as a question, but in passing in other replies here, as M. Robert Gibson found out.
That's why it's familiar.
Months after that, and years after wondering (as in the other two long-lost and found stories here), I spent a long time working on the details so I could frame it as a complete question.

Last edited:
The descriptions I'm finding of it aren't setting off those flashes of familiarity that lead to the call "Eureka!"
But I'm searching more to find out.
My memory is that being a voyeuristic passenger was not the final intent. It seemed like the control of someone's actions wasn't the desired result, but rather that it was a means to an end to accomplish something far more malevolent.
However, the search is on.

Just read Silverberg's "Passengers".
Augh. Gawd, it's horrifying.
I must have read that so many years ago that the memory was like a small candle lit in the caverns of my pseudo-dead memory. (Thank you, James Blish.)

Even if the Passengers weren't malevolent, their end result was. They were profoundly indifferent, like Cthulhu toward people, or people selling in live-animal slaughter-markets toward animals.

It wasn't the story, though.
The aliens in "Passengers" never directly communicated with the people they "rode" and controlled. No more than Cthulhu would with a human, nor a person selling the animals with the animals.

But now I also realize it's like something Silverberg would have written.
Ad astra per aspera.

Ravensquawk quoted:
“They then made their point clear by controlling my actions. They controlled my voluntary muscles, which were for me no longer voluntary. They had me performing, by demonstration, a common saying which everyone had always thought anatomically impossible. No strength of my will could change my own actions. They then released their control of me, said, ‘If you don’t cooperate with us, we can have you doing that in the Bloomingdale’s window at high noon.’”

This reminds me of something that Johnny Carson once said. I'm paraphrasing here; I couldn't find the exact quote: "For 100 dollars I'd wrestle Dean Rusk naked in Bloomingdale's window." Or something very similar. And by the next night or two, someone had sent him a check for $100.... which he returned.

Back