Star Trek, The Animated Series (1973 - 1974)

AstroZon

I received the box set DVD of Star Trek, The Animated Series for Christmas. Always a Star Trek fan, I can't believe I haven't seen this before. I did watch a few episodes when it first ran in the 70s, but I've never seen it since. So far, I've watched the first 6 episodes.

So far the stories have been quit good (excepting the Tribbles sequel.) Beyond the Furthest Star and Yesteryear are both excellent and could easily have been made into a regular TOS episode. I also liked The Lorelei Signal, a space take on the Sirens of Greek mythology.

Filmation was a budget animation studio, but the style works fine for Star Trek in my opinion. I watched a YouTube webcast analysis of The Animated Series and the host states how Filmation reused a lot of the TAS space background stills for the He-Man and She-Ra series'. He also explained how Walter Koenig got replaced by an alien navigator, and how Uhura and Sulu almost suffered the same fate. Leonard Nimoy threatened to quit before production until they were brought onboard. Koenig was allowed to submit a script, The Infinite Vulcan.

Regardless, it's a good series and a good continuation of TOS.

Last edited:
I received the box set DVD of Star Trek, The Animated Series for Christmas. Always a Star Trek fan, I can't believe I haven't seen this before. I did watch a few episodes when it first ran in the 70s, but I've never seen it since. So far, I've watched the first 6 episodes.

So far the stories have been quit good (excepting the Tribbles sequel.) Beyond the Furthest Star and Yesteryear are both excellent and could easily have been made into a regular TOS episode. I also liked The Lorelei Signal, a space take on the Sirens of Greek mythology.

Filmation was a budget animation studio, but the style works fine for Star Trek in my opinion. I watched a YouTube webcast analysis of The Animated Series and the host states how Filmation reused a lot of the TAS space background stills for the He-Man and She-Ra series'. He also explained how Walter Koenig got replaced by an alien navigator, and how Ohura and Sulu almost suffered the same fate. Leonard Nimoy threatened to quit before production until they were brought onboard. Koenig was allowed to submit a script, The Infinite Vulcan.

Regardless, it's a good series and a good continuation of TOS.

I remember watching it as kid back when it first came out. Most were good . The worst in that bunch was The Counter Clock Incident which has huge logic and story problems. First off , The Enterprise goes to an anti-matter universe , if so , the first problem is that the second they materialized in that universe, the Enterprise would have gone up in a huge explosion and the same thing would have happened when Karla 5's ship materialized into our matter universe . It is scientific fact that matter and antimatter don't mix at all. As for time flowing backwards and them becoming children ? That wouldn't have happened like that at all , it couldn't have, because the rate of reverse time flow would be the same as normal time flow in out universe. Also, the Enterprise flying in reverse looked flat out stupid !

Last edited:
I just posted my admiration for the episode, The Lorelei Signal, and then I found this on YouTube. Certainly not the first time Star Trek has been poked at. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

I have this on DVD too. Will have to watch it again soon now that this thread has reminded me about it:)

Despite the very limited animation, this was quite a good series, particularly for Saturday morning cartoons. The scripts, for the most part, were intelligent and imaginative. Larry Niven's adaptation of his own short story "The Soft Weapon" (retitled "The Slaver Weapon" for the series) worked quite well in the Star Trek universe.

Despite the very limited animation, this was quite a good series, particularly for Saturday morning cartoons. The scripts, for the most part, were intelligent and imaginative. Larry Niven's adaptation of his own short story "The Soft Weapon" (retitled "The Slaver Weapon" for the series) worked quite well in the Star Trek universe.

Id lit to have seen Hanna Barbara could have done with Star Trek or Ruby Spears.

Back