New apple variety discovered by Wiltshire jogger

Biskit

Cat whisperer
Supporter
Sitting in the sun (between the rain storms)
It seems to be a day for nature-related stuff in the news...

A new variety of apple has been discovered by a nature lover while he was out running.

_115678350_apple2.jpg

New apple variety discovered by Wiltshire jogger

I was going to ask who says it is a "new variety", but the article goes on to say RHS Wisley, so I'll take their word on it. However, Brogdale in Kent are the experts. The fact is that until the 20th Century, every village had its own apple varieties, and none were the same. Bramley Apples are named after those from the tree growing in a garden of a house bought by Richard Bramley, the local butcher, in 1846. Now that they are imported from abroad, the number of varieties we eat today is far, far smaller, but there are places, like Brogdale who still keep the old varieties alive. Personally, I would think it is a "lost" variety rather than a "new" variety, but as it is "unrecorded" then that really means the same thing.

When the Biskitetta first saw this she thought it was a photo of me holding an apple...

Shows how much attention she was paying - my hat looks nothing like that.

Glad I'm not the only person who noticed the resemblance.

When the Biskitetta first saw this she thought it was a photo of me holding an apple...

Shows how much attention she was paying - my hat looks nothing like that.

I wasn't convinced it wasn't you until you said it wasn't. Now I'm only half convinced.

@Biskit ..... There are some of us who were totally white at 30. :rolleyes:
I'm more following the lead of my grandfather who used to complain that he had looked forward to going bald to save on the barber's fees, but kept his curls.
(My solution is to not go to the barber,)

The last time I had a haircut was somewhere around 2006(?) - I needed a new passport photo as I was due in Amsterdam for a meeting, and there was a general need to look respectable.
Hair and beard have long-since reached their equilibrium length.
hair today2.jpg

I knew I had the before photo somewhere...

hair.jpg

12(ish) years back when the curls were in control, grey was only just getting started, and it looked like I was destined for a badger stripe rather than the all-over grey I got.

I wish my hair had turned white, instead of turning transparent
It doesn't show in the photos, but there seems to be an increasing tendency for the individual hairs to practice social distancing.