How Can I Write Something Scary (When it Doesn't Scare Me)

So recently I've been interested in trying my hand at writing short horror stories. The problem is, I don't know how to do so. I'm one of those weirdos that don't have a lot of fears ( like the traditional fears of falling, drowning, etc. but fear of failure, ooooh boy) so getting into this genre as a personal writing challenge has been a difficult. Add on a sprained index finger and I haven't made much headway other than reading tips on how to be spooky. Still haven't found the right niche.

Any advice on how to really creep my readers out?

If memory serves me right, @Phyrebrat writes some excellent horror. Anything you'd like to contribute here Phyre?

TV Tropes is always a fun place to go to look for ideas. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to see what others are doing in a convenient way so that you can think about how you can put a new spin on it. Fair warning; sprained index finger or no, that site is a black hole for your time, and will consume your entire day if you aren't careful...

I've never written horror, so I'm really curious what others are going to say here!

I'd say, what would scare you? Take that and be clever about it to draw your reader/yourself in, make them become comfortable, and then have them walk themselves (via your story) into that 'what have I done?' place, now trapped. All the bad stuff is just the proof. The real horror is when someone realizes--when it is too late--what they've led themselves into. The movie, Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, is a good example of that, although, a little blunt once it got to it.

IMO, and welcome to the forum.

K2

JJ's beat me to it. You need the Divbrat, our horror expert.

I would just say use your imagination. How do writers write anything they haven't got experience of? I know that's very wide and not very helpful but I'm currently doing something else at the mo and know @Phyrebrat will come along with the proper answer anyway.

What kind of horror are you aiming for?

For me it would have to be psychological? Pick one of the more 'popular' phobias - claustro-, arachno- - and put your protagonist in a fear inducing situation.

For instance, the thought of going caving and crawling through a really narrow tunnel with no way of turning round and no way of knowing where the tunnel leads is horrifying for me. Even just writing this is giving me a funny turn o_O

Why not write about the fear of failure? It could be about the fear of failure at anything in particular. It doesn't need to be a horror setting but could be. It could be fear of failure that drove Dr. Frankenstein to create a monster, for example.

You may have more fears than you realise. Think about the worst thing that could happen to you, or perhaps to a loved one. That could be difficult, but if you can get how those thoughts make you feel onto a page, you could be scaring your readers too. I think being a good writer is often about mining our own emotions and drawing on our own experiences.

Apparently, us humans all share five fears, so perhaps you could write about one or more of them: The (Only) 5 Fears We All Share

Notice it's the "fear of" and not the actual act. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to read a story that's heavy on actual graphic mutilation. I'd be disgusted rather than scared. But the threat of it? If it was a good story, I'd read on.

I also think what we can't see is scary. Perhaps write about the sounds, the atmosphere, the feelings of what it is, only the character can't see it? Perhaps they imagine the worst.

Also how you describe things has an impact. Think of settings (e.g. a dark forest) and descriptions relevant to the atmosphere you're trying to create. "Trees like witches fingers," for example, seems suited to a horror story, though is a cliché these days. The words we use have subtext. "Gloomy clouds" instead of "grey clouds" sets a certain tone. "Howling wind" etc.

I wrote a few horror short stories by accident. As I'd never really read or watched much horror, I thought I should probably read some horror. It helps in writing horror, and what I've read isn't as scary as I thought it would be! I think Apex Magazine is one of the best horror publishers. Three of my favourites are:

Cherry Wood Coffin by Eugenia M. Triantafyllou
Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience™ by Rebecca Roanhorse
We Are News by Bentley A. Reese

Oh gawd, nothing like pressure...

I think horror is totally subjective and to be honest, I use the term just for genre simplicity rather than aiming for it, just so other people know what flavour I write. I'm not scared by anything apart from, say, getting trapped whilst potholing (spelunking), or planning for something only to be told at the last minute, the plan has changed. The underside of bats where the wings join the body, and those black scorpions with big boxing-glove claws give me a visceral freak-out but that's more primal. So, horror is very personal.

I don't think it helps that I find scary things 'cool' as opposed to 'scary', and I discount things such as jump-scares in movies because they're a lowest-common-denominator tactic, and don't require a narrative justification (e.g a cat jumping out has nothing to do with the storyline).

But that's movies.

The comments above are to do with subject of horror, but for me I can only speak about achieving that through tone and word choice. Writing horror (IMO horror is an emotion, not a genre but I'm being arsey) is about word choice as opposed to subject. My stories generally come from an idea that is tonal or a feel as opposed to an actual idea of storyline.

For example:

'A blasted heath' as the scene setting for the opening of ACT 1 SC1 of Macbeth is so evocative, that the following 'When shall we three meet again?' is lent a power far greater than the simple verse. Not very very helpful unless you're writing a screenplay but that's the kind of thing I mean. The word 'blasted' evokes so much more, and 'heath' as opposed to 'plain' or 'scrub' or even 'desert' comes packaged with its own flavour.

In that way, you can set an eerie mood using sympathetic language for geography and setting. When you think about Macbeth, it's hardly that scary, certainly it pales in comparison to modern day stories, but there is something there from those two words.

I can only say, get the tone right, and the narrative will automatically come, but that's just how I work. The description of environment is key, IMO.

The other thing is archetypes; these days if you're writing zombies, vampires or werewolves, you have a real job trying to make them scary because they're a known factor. Unknown things, new creatures with new in-world rules are far scarier than something we've seen been killed time and time again with a silver bullet, stake, or headshot. I exclude ghosts and demons because they have far more mutable rules and can shift (tricksters).

Folk horror - where the protagonist is removed from the safe expectaions of societal norms even though the country hamlet may be mere miles away from an urban sprawl - offer a quick shortcut to instill a sense of horror but that comes from a blend of the uncanny, and the (sort of) blood memory of scary old traditions. However, it's a great way to use the countryside to evoke your mood.

Environment is key. And that's not just physical envinroment, but also sonically [I exclude smell and taste as I think they're seated far lower, within the belly when it comes to a fear response but they can be used successfully - e.g. a smell of cigar smoke from a deceased character who always used to smoke them - or other such psychopomps]. The mournful foghorn, a jingling bell, even a drip of water that the protagonist hears stop dripping after years of sleeping with it in the background, can be utilised to augment the scene's scares.

Try and go for tone, and tell your narrative inside that langauge. This doesn't mean write paragraphs of descriptive waffle, but just chose the most effective words. I have to stop myself from overusing 'fungal moon' in my writing - to my ears a fungal moon suggests much more than, say 'a ghostly moon'. Have you seen whey? Whey is another word I use as a descriptor when I want white things to look yucky,

As mentioned above, M R James is an outstanding short story writer of weird fiction/horror but maybe some might struggle with the dated style. I'd recommend Ray Bradbury whose grasp of descriptive prose to set a mood beats someone even like Stephen King.

Check out John Langan (he has a collection of shorts), esp his The Fisherman, which creates some of the most incredible mental images I've ever had in a book.

The final thing I'd recommend is humour and/or wit. You have to have that sense of normality and safety and unless you're using your authorial voice (as omni, I suppose), you'll have to put that responsibility on your characters which usually means upping your dialogue game when it comes to humour. Horror can come from an abrupt change in mood from light and funny to uncanny/terrifying. Michael McDowell's outstanding The Elementals has this in spades.

Thing is, all my points are what I like in a book. What works for you might be something different.

pH

Hi! Just like...

The real horror is when someone realizes--when it is too late--what they've led themselves into.

...I think that sums it up a bit.

Although you can break this down into different types of approaches or I would also say resources that allow you to reinforce the meaning of a story. I mean, rather than focusing on the horror itself, I would recommend that you keep in mind that first of all what you are telling is always a story, and as such it must first stick to all aspects of its creation (argument , characters, setting, descriptions, etc.) And then, only later, introduce the subject of horror. But I advise you not to confuse the story (the what) with its treatment (the how).
Because we agree that currently it is very difficult for something to scare us. In fact, they already realized that when they made the Hammer movies in the 40's, although, naturally, due to technical limitations. Since the special effects of then did not have the immense render capacity that is available now, that forced producers to strengthen other aspects.
This, of course, was also reflected in the literature. What matters is knowing how to tell a story well even if the subject is somewhat hackneyed. Because, as today's productions no longer impress us much, readers are also skeptical, reacting favorably to "other elements."
Take, for example, the case of the film The Keep, by Michael Mann, but rather the Francis Paul Wilson novel on which it is based. Molasar, the main villain in the story, at first glance is like a poorly made Eddie. Indeed, it is not scary. However, the strengths of the story are not in that character, but in the aspects of the plot and, above all, the dialogues. Also, here is an example of an approach that has not been discussed before: a ghost story with soldiers.
In the YA novels about vampires and werewolves, romance is more important than the terror of the stories.
You have the cosmic horror of Lovecraft, or rather the suspense than terror of the eternal Poe.
What scares from the Alien series is not so much the monster itself, but the weakness and arrogance or human greed that sometimes makes us be more monsters than that same biped dolphin-like shark with two-jawed. One as a spectator is more afraid of human precariousness (it is not gratuitous that the woman several times is almost naked or with a stomach full of staples or brackets as in Prometeus while facing the monster).
That series teaches us that almost most of the time everything goes to hell and allows the monster to make its own due to the betrayal of a human.
Hitchcock, what I can telling you? Master of suspense. The scene of Psycho in the shower is still one of the scariest ever filmed.

For all of the above, I insist that, more than telling a story, you have to know how to do it. For example, you don't need to have a scary monster; what your reader will really fear is that you put the characters on the spot or situation that you make them face other characters who serve as rather obtuse and unpleasant adversaries. For example, in all the scenes of Germans and Jews, what really scared you was not the officer in black, you already knew that he was bad, but the civilian on the street who accused and / or betrayed an innocent. There human incomprehension is the true evil that scares you.
In The Exorcist (which is also based on a book, Legion), what is scary is helplessness, the feeling that, yes, maybe in the end we win. But meanwhile we are going to see them fall of all colors in front of an ancient and powerful enemy.
In Shark, more than the fish, it is suspense management. That's incredibly better dealt with in the eponymous novel. Again the human precariousness this time in the form of an old and somewhat unsuccessful beach policeman forced to become a hero and also in a field that does not dominate, the sea.

I hope this helps. :giggle:

Last edited:
Depends; you going for gore or psychological dread? If I had more to work with, I'd be glad to give advice.
Definitely going for the more psychological route for horror. I don't mind a bit of gore, but at least in movies it can seem campy sometimes. Thanks for the pointed question, I have to remember to be more concise and clear in what I'm saying haha

Why not write about the fear of failure? It could be about the fear of failure at anything in particular. It doesn't need to be a horror setting but could be. It could be fear of failure that drove Dr. Frankenstein to create a monster, for example.

You may have more fears than you realise. Think about the worst thing that could happen to you, or perhaps to a loved one. That could be difficult, but if you can get how those thoughts make you feel onto a page, you could be scaring your readers too. I think being a good writer is often about mining our own emotions and drawing on our own experiences.

Apparently, us humans all share five fears, so perhaps you could write about one or more of them: The (Only) 5 Fears We All Share

Notice it's the "fear of" and not the actual act. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to read a story that's heavy on actual graphic mutilation. I'd be disgusted rather than scared. But the threat of it? If it was a good story, I'd read on.

I also think what we can't see is scary. Perhaps write about the sounds, the atmosphere, the feelings of what it is, only the character can't see it? Perhaps they imagine the worst.

Also how you describe things has an impact. Think of settings (e.g. a dark forest) and descriptions relevant to the atmosphere you're trying to create. "Trees like witches fingers," for example, seems suited to a horror story, though is a cliché these days. The words we use have subtext. "Gloomy clouds" instead of "grey clouds" sets a certain tone. "Howling wind" etc.

I wrote a few horror short stories by accident. As I'd never really read or watched much horror, I thought I should probably read some horror. It helps in writing horror, and what I've read isn't as scary as I thought it would be! I think Apex Magazine is one of the best horror publishers. Three of my favourites are:

Cherry Wood Coffin by Eugenia M. Triantafyllou
Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience™ by Rebecca Roanhorse
We Are News by Bentley A. Reese
Wow this is all excellent and sparking some ideas already! Many thanks, friends! I'm hoping to have some work for y'all to critique soon! (But in quarantine time who knows what that means.)

This is absolutely incredible advice, so thank you all very much for your time and encouragement. @Phyrebrat, @DLCroix, thank you! Now to ice my finger and get to work!

....where do I put some of my WiP when I'm ready? Should I make a new thread or add it onto someone else's?

Psychological? A hard one to pull off but:
Fear of the darkness within you, waking up at 3:00 am to realise that you really did kill someone brutally years ago . You have been suppressing the memory and life is now good, kids, home. But now things are beginning to happen. Sure you feel like that was "someone else" another you that doesn't exist any more.... but it was you, and it is surfacing.
If you have the time put yourself in the head of Stephanie Lazarus here. (a real case) It is a horrifying place to find yourself when you thought it was all history.
That awful realisation that the past is back. Be her, in that interview room. It is hard to sympathise but it is a heck of a perspective if you can nail it.

....where do I put some of my WiP when I'm ready? Should I make a new thread or add it onto someone else's?
The place for seeking feedback on WiPs is Critiques and definitely you'd need to start your own thread. There are a number of rules about putting work up there, eg as to maximum word limits, so do please read the relevant thread which sets them out, but the most important rule at this stage is that only members with at least 30 counted posts can start a thread there, which means it's not open to you just yet.

I'd always recommend newcomers to have a look around there well before posting a thread, so they can see the type of feedback that's given, as it can come as a bit of a shock to the system, so perhaps have a read of some recent pieces. Also, since Critiques is based on reciprocity, if you feel able to give feedback on others' work while you're waiting to post your own, that will certainly gain you Brownie points!

There's loads of great horror, but a lot of it involves very basic human fears that are expressed through some kind of fantastical way. The Shining seems to me to be a story about a superficially decent man's capacity to hurt his own family, and the way he is exploited to do so by an evil presence. Alien has a lot of sexual imagery, directed at both men and women alike. The Thing is about distrust and paranoia, and perhaps disease. So in a way, they're about "mundane" horrors that become surreal and exaggerated by unreal events.

Some of the strongest horror comes not from the gruesome murder itself but the question of where the murderer is. All three of the films I mentioned have long shots of empty corridors, where the monster could be hiding, and the violence is swift, savage and over quickly. They also have (and I think this is really important) strong, realistic characters who you don't want to die. Personally, I find ambiguity very powerful in horror: a glimpse of something nasty under the water rather than a full on visit from Cthulhu.

I'd recommend having a look at Stephen King's book Danse Macabre, in which he analyses how horror works. I found this video quite interesting, but you might want to watch it in the daytime!

My advice would be; get into the head of the character and what they might fear and why; and then write from that point of view rather than trying to puzzle over why you are not frightened.

You might have to research a few different fears(some unreasonable)and possibly the way some people are crippled by those fears; if it in fact is true that you have few fears.

I've seen people who grab moths from the air and toss it in their mouth and swallow it and that really creeps me out.
And I've seen people paralyzed at the sight of a spider; while some one else coaxes it into a small box so they can move it outside.

I've seen a whole family scamper away from their house to ask me if I could remove the snake from their house and then I turned to a young lady who was more familiar with the critters(which ones might be dangerous and which might not)in that area; which I was not familiar with and watched from a distance as she coaxed the 4 foot intruder out of the house with a gardening hoe.

[You never know what fear you might have until it strikes you unexpectedly.]

Just as much as you don't know what you will do in the face of some crisis until you are faced with it.

Also, having no fear can become awfully dangerous for both the person and people around them--I would be afraid of that--maybe you should write about it.

I am inclined to think that this is also relevant:

My suggestion is that you design your plot and give motivations your characters. In fact, sometimes the character that draws the most attention in a story is the absolute normal being, who in definition is not an evil being, who suddenly commits an atrocity. To who has not happened that he has awakened in his bed and has no idea how he managed to get home, how many red lights he passed without realizing it, or perhaps in between he did something worse? This is surprising because the reader does not expect it, and at the same time it is very disturbing; a sign that we can all actually be victims of an act of insanity. When we are drunk or drugged, for example. Therefore, stories designed in this way tend to be more compelling because they involve us as human beings. That kind of fear is much more effective than a typical monster.

Also, having no fear can become awfully dangerous for both the person and people around them--I would be afraid of that--maybe you should write about it.
Oh so true tinkerdan. I have lost several friends to that. Adrenaline junkies- " free climbers", fast bikers. My sister's boyfriend had a house full of tarantulas and snakes.o_O I only visited once.

Ever watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer?? Buffy had a boyfriend named Angel, and one episode was devoted to his back story. One line from that ep has always intrigued me. Maybe it would make a good basis for a story. Angel said, "Save for an honest day's work, I'm not afraid of anything."

>My advice would be; get into the head of the character and what they might fear and why

I absolutely agree with this. It's not whether the author is frightened, it's whether the character is frightened.

One of the creepiest, scariest novels going is John Fowles' The Collector. Another one is Graham Greene's Brighton Rock. Neither of those is horror, but both are horrifying.

Best type of horror always makes you feel constantly uncomfortable. I have a friend that does horror, and she says...

"Imagine being stuck in a wack cocktail party with all your exes and least favorite coworkers. And they're serving everything you hate or allergic to."

Point is, she said, the protagonists should always be put in scenarios that are always disorienting and out of their elements. Urban dwellers stuck in a forest or farm, hydro-phobics on a sinking ship or submerged building. And things get progressively worse.