"They Live”, the Weird Movie With a Powerful Message

Don

theylive.jpg

This movie is the Hollywood treatment of Eight O'Clock in the Morning by Ray Nelson. It's also the subject of a "deep dive" critique: "They Live" by Jonathan Lathem.

Last edited:
View attachment 64604

This movie is the Hollywood treatment of Eight O'Clock in the Morning by Ray Nelson. It's also the subject of a "deep dive" critique: "They Live" by Jonathan Lathem.

I read that story a long time ago. It reads almost like a Phillip k Dick story. The movie is a classic of the first order and The late Rdody Piper was a terrific. I wish he had done movie acting the did. This film has a rather timeless quality about i. :cool:

It might have been helpful to combine the two threads, since they're both about the same film?

It might have been helpful to combine the two threads, since they're both about the same film?
You're quite correct. My original plan was to post Lathem's book into a book forum and the movie here. But a book forum didn't suggest itself and in the process of juggling three threads, which linked to each other, the absurdity of starting two threads in the same forum was overlooked until it was too late. There's only a short period of "edit" time available for each post, so all of the links had to be fixed up post haste, because you only know a given thread's URL after you post.