(Found) Immortality

Jerboaki

Looking for a book I read after borrowing it from the library. Features a female protagonist. Born in the future, where the Earth is mostly uninhabitable. Remaining people live in domed cities. Technology has advanced to the point that bodies can be replaced if damaged, aged, or diseased. People can design their own bodies, ranging from normal human, to the fantastic.( wings, multifaceted eyes...). Young people often commit suicide in fantastic displays, just to get a new body. The protagonist, in the end, chooses a rugged human body and ventures out of the domed city. She starts trying to live in the real world and chooses mortality. She kind of starts a cult with others who follow her out into the world.

I'm not sure it is this, but it's been many years since I read it and I can't recall all the details, so I'll throw it out there. Nightwings by Robert Silverberg?

Sounds very like the the plot of "Altered Carbon" available as a series on one of the streaming channels.

Flixnet I think. Very good series IMO.

No, it's not Nightwings -- there are people with wings in that, and a kind of rebirth, but the plot is very different.

@Jerboaki can you recall when you read the book, and whether it was new then, or an old one you picked up? And was it YA?

No, it's not Nightwings -- there are people with wings in that, and a kind of rebirth, but the plot is very different.

@Jerboaki can you recall when you read the book, and whether it was new then, or an old one you picked up? And was it YA?
Wasn't new when I read it, about 5 years ago.

Thank you for coming back to post the answer. I am sure that future searchers will appreciate it.